Unknown Benchmark? Help Needed

2B Amazed

I've been a metal detecting nut for years and came across this post in one of the forums. I've been working on the location but need some help from anyone that might offer some suggestions or insight. Thanks for the help!

http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php?PHP...12d&topic=33133.

http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php?act...ach=30642;image[/img]

The English translation of the carving on the rock reads "1822 May 3, to the north 1505"

A monument like this would not have been a benchmark, but a cadastral monument for the purpose of measuring a land boundary or area. The scribed date is obvious, but the call '...to the north 1505' could mean a couple of things. It could be a call to the next survey monument, such as 'go 1505 (units) to the next monument', or it could be an offset monument, such as 'go 1505 (units) to the true position of ...'.

As the monument is scribed in French, the units are most likely meters, however, the English survey units of chains and rods could have been in use as well.

- Kewaneh

I happen to have a pretty good idea what you are "investigating". Good Luck! Feel free to keep us updated on your progress (in general terms of course).

I caught an earful about it last time I was up in Peggy's Cove several years ago...... (gorgeous area, by the way).

I posted Kewaneh's response to the forum with "full credits of course" a little late in responding, my lowly excuse is that treasure seeking is a full time job :laughing: Sure will keep ya posted, should I ask more info on the Peggy's Cove saga, hense my forum name, always like a good pirate story to pass on to the kiddies!

Edited by 2B Amazed