Why Plant A Cache You Can't/won't Maintain?

anlufu

Here's a question that's been bugging me. In our area there are a few cache's that have been "planted" by people from out of town. No problem there. Beautiful area and not many Geocachers! But there are a few that seem to have been abandoned. They have either gone missing, been raided or got damaged in some way. One has been that way for almost 2 years! Don't the owners care?

You must have read my mind!!!

On Sunday I had a discussion with Erik, about exactly the same thing, where a cacher placed a cache 500 km from their base. Now I know we need to get the sport going and promote it aswell. Surely cachers should ensure that the cache can be maintained timeously and therefore state it in the cache if they have someone looking after it.

This also usually occurs in holidays spots.

Otherwise it means that we have stacks of caches being archived.

I think it is called littering
Not always!

I have more than one cache that is plus minus 270km from my home coordinates. They are all well maintained and in good nick. After one got "lost" it was replaced within two weeks BY ME.

It is on the owners to maintain the caches. Even caches close to the owners are not maintained/replaced etc. Distance is a factor but if you feel you can maintain your caches it should not stop you from placing caches ANYWHERE.

Even in my area there are caches that have not been maintained after more than one note posted on the cache page.

It would be sad if the only places which have caches are the places which cachers. Just imagine only having caches in JHB, CT etc.

I would also say that if you come across a cache that really needs some attention and its not too difficult to hall out the first aid box, then doctor it in good faith. That way the cache standards would improve overall and who knows someone might repair one of your caches in the future.

It would be sad if the only places which have caches are the places which cachers. Just imagine only having caches in JHB, CT etc.

I would also say that if you come across a cache that really needs some attention and its not too difficult to hall out the first aid box, then doctor it in good faith. That way the cache standards would improve overall and who knows someone might repair one of your caches in the future.

I agree. In the last few months I have placed 4 caches that are over 400 kms from home. I feel justified in doing this because I go past them fairly often to visit family, and the areas are cache starved. I am trying to help spur some activity in the area.

If you find a cache that needs attention, just as you might find a cache that is exposed to muggles for whatever reason, then try and fix it the best you can. Just as with litter on the trail to a cache, we can all improve the conditions in the area.

On a somewhat similiar note: I wonder if cahers shouldn't be allowed to place a cache until they have found a certain number. Say 25 caches. This would ensure that they have decided to geocache as more than just a fad with their GPS.

I think you guys have strayed from the point of the original question.. It was not whether or not people should place caches far from their own homes. But why people place caches and then NOT maintain them? I have repaired a cache in this area that had been raided and flooded. But that was only after a new team searching for their very first cache (with excited children) found it in a very bad state. A few teams after that reported it's condition and NOTHING was done about it. How would you feel if you were new to the sport, spent ages looking for a cache and only found a water logged container?! There are others that have been reported as missing, as I said before, one for nearly 2 years!! And again NOTHING has been done!

Don't we want geocaching to grow?? Don't we want to keep the interest up?

I love the idea of people placing caches in our area, but I really feel sorry for newbies who get excited till they discover a trashed cache. It has happened!