Do Gc Tracking And Unique Icon Affect Value?

CacheNCarryMA

I'm thinking of creating a coin and was wondering if GC.com tracking and a unique icon affect whether a coin is desirable or not.

Assuming you like the design and are on the fence about buying it, would it matter if the coin were $5-$6 and not trackable or $7-$8 and trackable with a unique icon?

For you geocaching economists, I'm trying to get an idea of the price point.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

I never really understood the tracking going onto signature coins, except ones where the owner does all the activation and sets them free. (such as Moun10bike did to start some of this craze, and I think there are some others doing it as well)

I know there are the icon collectors out there, that say it is a must or they aren't interested. But I think the majority of geocoin collectors don't mind if it isn't trackable or have its own icon.

Though as Phantom Dog mentioned, the purchasing of personal coins has slowed way down. And I don't think you can easily count on being able to sell 400 coins quickly anymore.

My suggestion goes with PD's... skip the tracking, skip the sale... order 100 or so on your own (what you can afford). Leave them in caches, and/or trade them.

It depends on what you want to do with your coin, I guess. If you want it to move about from cache to cache and leave your own little signature everywhere it goes then numbers and icon are terrific. You can always buy a USA geocoin, but I don't know if it's really the same. If you just want to trade a signature coin for other signature coins and collect them, then a number is probably extraneous. We buy both, but personally love the different icons. Mostly, they're a quick reference to what we've found while caching. We'd never "collect" icons from shows, though. It's an interesting idea, but it would definitely make it harder to keep track of our actual finds. :(

Another thing to remember is that you can't sell them here or even mention them if they're not trackable on GC.com. If fact the last "official" word we had was that even asking the question "should I make them trackable or not" is cause to lock (or delete) the thread. :(:(

Windrose

Another thing to remember is that you can't sell them here or even mention them if they're not trackable on GC.com. If fact the last "official" word we had was that even asking the question "should I make them trackable or not" is cause to lock (or delete) the thread. :(:(

Windrose

You can mention them if you are NOT selling them. the 'non-trackable' ban only applies to coins that will have any quantity of them sold somewhere.

If they are only going to be for trade and/or cache placements, then its ok to talk all you want about them :(

I like them trackable.

While many may sit in coin collections it is fun to be able to activate them and send them on thier way. I think it does add to the value for some and just adds more cost for others. If they are trackable you can post them in these forums and your sale will get a lot of attention fast.

Yes, tracking and icons are indeed a FAD! Save your sanity and money buy purchasing your coins yourself and staying away from fads. If you have not noticed from the other threads out here that selling personal coins is a dying practice. Make yours and trade them.

I am not sure that selling personal coins is a dying practice.

Yes I think the days of an average personal coin selling out in a few hours/days are done. But I think plenty of personal coins are selling out, just not as fast.

For me, no. I don't track the coins that I get, so I don't care if they are trackable. The only time it's going to truly matter is when I'm buying a state coin that I like such as AK and ID, then the extra cost may have me buy less overall coins. For most that won't matter though.

For members of ICE it does matter and they will get trackable coins though they may not normally get that kind of coin (Personal for example).

I am not sure that selling personal coins is a dying practice.

Yes I think the days of an average personal coin selling out in a few hours/days are done. But I think plenty of personal coins are selling out, just not as fast.

That's encouraging. I was thinking about going the subsidized route through the geocoin store and wasn't sure how well received my coin would be. I'll post a pic of the proposed design late tonight when I get home to see what you guys think.

For members of ICE it does matter and they will get trackable coins though they may not normally get that kind of coin (Personal for example).

What's "ICE"?

That's encouraging. I was thinking about going the subsidized route through the geocoin store and wasn't sure how well received my coin would be. I'll post a pic of the proposed design late tonight when I get home to see what you guys think.

You may want to read this thread before jumping into that.

I sure would hate to see anyone else get burned.

Please Read through all of my Post!

I haven't got burned from the Geocoin Store!

I just didn't think it would take this long to sell my GeoCoins.

The Geocoin Store HAS NOT MADE ME PAY for my Geocoins that hasn't sold yet! Just it will be a Option if ALL MY Geocoins don't SELL!

Just right now they have alot of Geocoins Stacked up for sale, and it gives People more of a Choice to purchase over my Geocoin! Which makes My Geocoins Sale go a Little Slower!

So again Please Read Though All of my Post before Getting to Worried about going Though the Geocoin Store!

Scott-N8ZUS!

Edited by Scott-N8ZUS

I'd agree with the majority here. The hey-dey of getting coins for free by selling them off is gone. I don't see many that can get away with that anymore (with exceptions of course).

I didn't make mine trackable for a few reasons:

1) Cost - I didn't want, nor need, 500 coins. I only leave them in caches that I especially liked or a cache that had a great view, something interesting, etc. I won't be finding 500 of those anytime soon :(

2) I don't want to leave my "signature/stamp" on caches that I've never been to. I like my personal coin to be a reflection of a cache I've actaully visited. I have TBs that I can watch travel

3) I knew they wouldn't travel. Not being cocky, but with only 100 of them they are just not going to travel and I wanted folks to be able to keep them

4) I didn't feel right having others pay for my coin

But again, it comes down to your perception of "value". If it's money related, then yes you probably want tracking and an icon (but heed the warnings about them not selling well right now).

If the "value" is for the perceived finder to cherish the coin: make it personal, make it yourself, pay for it yourself, and then trade or leave them in caches.

9key mentioned another route... you can get less than 500 of them and still have them trackable, though you lose the option of a custom icon. many of the makers will let you purchase as few as 50 coins and still have them trackable (with the generic "cent" icon) for just the extra $1.50 + engraving costs.

I'm skipping the tracking and selling route for most the same reasons as kealia has stated.

Check with who ever you go through though if you decide on the sales route, you don't want to get surprised with having to pay the retail price for any coins that were left after the sale. Make sure you know up front what your cost will be if they don't all sell. And make sure you are willing to take on that cost.

<sigh> No such thing as free lunch.

I'm always late to the party. Anyone want to buy some AOL or CMGI stock?

:mad:

Well, in the securities market, there are mechanisms to help people who are late to the party, at significantly higher risk.

I think GC Tracking and Unique Icon is good for people who have established an identity in the sport. (example: Bad Andy) Even though kealia is refusing to do this, I suspect his Geocoins will be more popular if he does this, since he's rather well known. ;)

Otherwise, the Geocoin community has overgrown the hype, so newbies trying to do this for monetary value are likely going to get burned.

Have you considered making personal pins? They offer the same "manufactured personal item" feel to Geocoins, at a much lower cost, offering better smile-to-money ratio. :blink:

I think GC Tracking and Unique Icon is good for people who have established an identity in the sport. (example: Bad Andy) Even though kealia is refusing to do this, I suspect his Geocoins will be more popular if he does this, since he's rather well known. :mad:

Otherwise, the Geocoin community has overgrown the hype, so newbies trying to do this for monetary value are likely going to get burned.

Have you considered making personal pins? They offer the same "manufactured personal item" feel to Geocoins, at a much lower cost, offering better smile-to-money ratio. :blink:

Thanks for all the sage advice, everyone.

Does anyone recognize the "CacheNCarryMA" name? I don't think I have a reputation big enough to up the demand for my coin (except that I am the camo king of Eastern Massachusetts ;) ) Maybe I should change my screen name to MounlOBike (with an 'L' instead of a "1").

I have a Badge-A-Minit press and have turned out a small number of pins. They don't have the same draw as coins.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

Does anyone recognize the "CacheNCarryMA" name? I don't think I have a reputation big enough to up the demand for my coin (except that I am the camo king of Eastern Massachusetts :blink: ) Maybe I should change my screen name to MounlOBike (with an 'L' instead of a "1").

I have a Badge-A-Minit press and have turned out a small number of pins. They don't have the same draw as coins.

If I visit MA in the future, I'll try to take a detour to visit one of your caches, since I'm always game for a clever camo job. ;)

The pins I'm talking about are not Badge-A-Minits, but something like the ones Moun10Bike has made, 1" diameter, with coin-like quality on one side (about 1/4 the cost of Geocoins). I opted for these instead of Geocoins for my personal sig. item, at least for now.

Does anyone recognize the "CacheNCarryMA" name? I don't think I have a reputation big enough to up the demand for my coin (except that I am the camo king of Eastern Massachusetts :blink:

Sorry no.

But I have heard of Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago! ;)

You may want to read this thread before jumping into that.

I sure would hate to see anyone else get burned.

We sold our Sunshinegang Trackable Edition Geocoin at the Geocoinstore and sold 450 in 1-2 weeks. They did the whole deal from design to selling/shipping. Are there risks? Sure, thats why you sign a contract with them so it is all spelled out. But was it worth it for us? Heck ya!

Selling personal coins fad dying off? Don't think so. maybe calming down, but it is still there.

Personally I like them not trackable cause I dont set um free just collect they just end up MIA I use TB for tracking, I like the personal coins that dont have the number and icon, the number is 1.50 per coin and 150 for the icon waste....for me...

I like the coin I would buy one if you made

I really like the "in gps we trust" way kewl

Edited by JsamFam

I would like to have my 2nd edition personal coin trackable but I don't want the added expense of buying 500 tracking numbers, nor do I want to make 500 coins. 100 is plenty, I think.

You will only need to make 500 if you want the icon. If you only want to have them tracked, I think some makers can sell you only 100 with the coins.

Richard

I would like to have my 2nd edition personal coin trackable but I don't want the added expense of buying 500 tracking numbers, nor do I want to make 500 coins. 100 is plenty, I think.

You will only need to make 500 if you want the icon. If you only want to have them tracked, I think some makers can sell you only 100 with the coins.

Richard

If you want to go through the hassel, 50 or lower is possible.

nielsenc

Would people buy this coin?

In shiny silver, shiny gold, and nickel enameled like the bottom sample:

Please learn from the screw coin: don't make a shiny silver and a shiny nickel. Consider copper as an alternate metal.

--Marky

Please learn from the screw coin: don't make a shiny silver and a shiny nickel. Consider copper as an alternate metal.

--Marky

Was the shiny silver screw coin not well received?

How do people feel about shiny gold?

Should I just do two metals? Maybe a plain nickel or pewter and an enameled nickel?

Or just go with one metal? Plain nickel and skip the enamel.

I hope this isn't too many questions. Just trying to get it ironed out before things are cast in stone...err metal.

Blue...no red....arrrrrrghhh

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

I like the pins/buttons/etc signature items I've found... to me they are just as valuable as the coins if the cacher left it behind or gave/traded it to me.

I plan on continuing to make our sig tokens to leave behind in most caches, we will save our coin for the more special/memorable caches.

Should I just do two metals? Maybe a plain nickel or pewter and an enameled nickel?

It was the fact that you couldn't tell the difference apart easily between the shiny silver and the shiny nickel metals.

Unless there is real reason to go with two metals, I wouldn't do it. the one exception I've been thinking about, is doing one metal that is ONLY left in caches, and another that is just for trades. but I'm leaning towards just a single metal. You can always request samples to determine which you like best (if they wont let you get samples... find another maker!)

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies

--Marky

I hope this isn't too many questions. Just trying to get it ironed out before things are cast in stone...err metal.

Blue...no red....arrrrrrghhh

My suggestion is to go with Samples. This will allow you to get the different metals for your coin.

I think that's pretty reasonable, but I'm a bit new on these matters. I would definitely want a few though at that price. Did you decide on a metal/color? - Hound

I started thinking "simpler is better" and "all things in moderation". With the explosion of unique icons, I think the only things that would set my coin apart are design and price. I think I'll go with silver unenameled and nickel enameled.

If I don't go with tracking and the unique icon, I can cut the price by almost $2 and I'm not committed to producing 500 coins (or at least buying 500 tracking #s). Reducing my lot size will reduce my risk.

I'd like to optimize the number produced. Is 250-300 reasonable? I'd keep 25-30 for myself.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA