Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nuttycomputer

National Traffic System

I'm a lonely technician Ham in the state of Utah. One of the only ones left that have a Packet station still set up...

With my background of computers I found this to be one of the funnest modes to work with but our biggest BBS in Utah that I know of doesn't seem to be connected to the NTS.

Leading to my question... Is NTS being pretty much extinct everywhere else or do some of you hams still have it where your at? Is Packet also extinct?

We in Colo still have a Traffic net every nite. I don't hear much traffic being passed though. I was thinking about putting a cache together that had to do with passing traffic on the service. Just to give those guys something to do. Not sure how to do it yet though :) As for packet I have never done it. I know there are a few guys here that still mess with it on HF. With so much to do on Ham these days I never thought about it.

We in Colo still have a Traffic net every nite. I don't hear much traffic being passed though. I was thinking about putting a cache together that had to do with passing traffic on the service. Just to give those guys something to do. Not sure how to do it yet though ;) As for packet I have never done it. I know there are a few guys here that still mess with it on HF. With so much to do on Ham these days I never thought about it.

You could just copy this one!

--Marky

We also have a daily VHF traffic net here in the Portland OR area. Not much real traffic, mostly spam/junk mail messages from a couple of stations back east (license renewals, welcome to ham radio, that sort of thing). The traffic comes in on HF, and there are multiple daily HF traffic nets, both voice and CW.

As for packet, VHF packet is pretty widespread out here. Not used a lot for NTS traffic, but definitely emphasized for the emcomm folks.

cul es 73,

Wayne K7EX

I'm a lonely technician Ham in the state of Utah. One of the only ones left that have a Packet station still set up...

With my background of computers I found this to be one of the funnest modes to work with but our biggest BBS in Utah that I know of doesn't seem to be connected to the NTS.

Leading to my question... Is NTS being pretty much extinct everywhere else or do some of you hams still have it where your at? Is Packet also extinct?

Most every vhf/uhf net I know of out here starts with the opportunity to pass formal traffic, but seldomly used. We have the tar heel net that also passes formal traffic on hf.

Packet? oh man one of my former favorite modes! we just recently took down a kpc3 acting as a digipeater (80 watts at 3000 feet) that done a great job. Then all of a sudden, everyone dissapeared then the nodes and bbs's all started going too. I think the crumbling of packet and what has slowed down nts out here is simple..what we are doing here pretty much muffled it, along with the ease of cell phones and all other non licensed forms of communications! During desert shield AT&T put phone booths out in the desert, thus even slowing down mars and over all shutting down may mars stations due to the lack of traffic passing. I remeber packet slowing down when alot of those free email programs like Juno started being used. However APRS is very active here. I remember having an old 286 laptop in the vehicle hooked up to packet and staying on what we called the SEDAN network, it was fun having all those nodes available mobile. Here is a picture of the old network. http://www.qsl.net/kd4gxy/sedanm.html

I like that cache idea! very tempting!

Edited by Tayter Salad