Explorest 200

rick f

Hi all, I thought this would be fun so I went to Wally World and got a $117.00 GPS

Did I mess up can't figure out how to enter long/lats ?

The manual has no info. on how to do it, should I take it back and get a different one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

press and hold the goto button...change the coords to the ones for the waypoint you want to hunt...

If you think you might really like doing this or have other uses for a good GPSr, I would get a more full featured model...but that can be big $$$ if you step all the way up. When you choose a GPSr you choose a system. You are "stuck" with the specific manufacturers maps and add-ons in most cases so do research and choose what works for YOU. Make some local contacts and check out other peoples units...it will be well worth your time. I personally like the Magellan line and currently own two Plats (discontinued models). For every lover there is a hater so look and choose for your needs...

The Commissar!

Hi all, I thought this would be fun so I went to Wally World and got a $117.00 GPS

Did I mess up can't figure out how to enter long/lats ?

The manual has no info. on how to do it, should I take it back and get a different one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Before you panic, check the company website. They have an online manual that should explain it for you.

Here is a direct link to the manual. Explorist 200 manual

Press your mark button, it will show a screen on the second row are coords scroll down with your click stick to the coords push the click stick and you are ready to change the coords, scroll up or down to change the number then use the click stick to go to the next number by pushing it left or right. when you have the first row done push the click stick in to go to the second row and do it all over again.

It sounds complicated but it's really easy. The 1/2/300s are basic models. If you get a good one they're great, I haven't really heard of any problems with the 1/2/300 units,but the 600 and some 500s have problems.

I've had my 500 for about 9 months now with no problems and love it

...should I take it back and get a different one?

If you get even slightly into geocaching you will probably wish you did. The 200 (as the 100 and 300) will not allow for a PC hookup for downloading waypoints, detailed maps and software updates. You will have to enter every waypoint by hand, which can be tedious if you are out for a full day of geocaching. If you only plan to find a cache or two every now and then then it will be sufficient (until you key in a few sets of coordinates wrong).

If you are set on the eXplorist line but willing to spend a little more, the 210 is a better choice. If you are set on spending under $120 the Garmin Etrex or Etrex Legend would be good choices.

Moving to appropriate forum

I have an Explorist 200. It deleted POIs on its own. I sent it back and they sent back a 200 with firmware version 2.1.25. So far so good. It was probably a firmware glitch. If you only do a few geocaches a week, it's fine. The map function is somewhat useless except when on an airplane. Then its cool to see where you are. All in all, I am happy with the 200, especially for the price.