Geo-post Offices

This is a vary cool idea! I think I will Start a Geo Post Office Center in Akron, Ohio! I think we could have two different kinds of Geo post offices, one that sends and receives mail. The second kind a "Center" that speeds the process up, These centers can be by major hi-ways, near major cites, or tourist destinations that way people travailing long distances can move the mail closer to it destination faster. We should try this and place a cache in every major around the world starting in North America. (A city with more then 25,000 people) Then we could have "hub" offices in the "middle of no where" at rest stops and in small towns. Tell me what you think of this thought. We could have Geomail!!! Send things from AZ to PA and have fun doing it!

Send me the link to your GPO in Akron, Earthy5000, so that I can update the bookmark list. Right now the 38 geo-post offices serve both as drop off and pick up points. The existing grid of 38 is already quite functional. We have one in Utah, with another being built near Nevada.These two are quite some distance from the rest, so we need some more in the central USA states; yours in Akron is very welcome to start filling in the gap. There are two in the UK, with more planned. Canada is getting nicely covered, with only a few gaps in the west, and western Ontario. Definitely, placing the GPOs near major arteries makes it easier to pick up and drop the mail when leaving or entering town, that is a good sugestion. Good luck, and expect some mail when yours is up and running!

This is GREAT, Zonker! People are finding the geo-post office once for a smiley, then coming back with more travel bugs & postcards. The postcards heading to the far west are not being picked up, because folks aren't sure what will happen to them if they have to travel thru regular caches. So let's get some more post office caches in the midwest pleeeeeze!

editing to add: I got the pretty Quebec postcard. Thank you!

Edited by Kacky

Before I read this post I was thinking of dropping a "Happy Holidays" card into a cache with directions to sign your name and move it to another cache. Whoever found it Dec 24th could keep it as a card from all their geo-friends.

Now, I'll have to think about setting up another Indiana geo-post office!!

Thanks for all the info! :D

A new type of geocache has sprung up in Eastern Canada- the Geo-Post Office. The idea is to send postcards, notes, and other greetings to eack other via the "Geo-post". There is already a network of these postoffice geocaches in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and the system works! We maritimers have been having a lot of fun with it, and we want to expand the idea to the North East USA and the province of Quebec. If you want to set one up, just check out the write-up on one of ours. Feel free to cut and paste, and let us know when the cache is up and running so we can provide a link to your cache on our page. GCTTCZ is the link to my post office, and it has links to all the others to date. Team TKD came up with this revolutionary idea in Halifax, Nova Scotia. His post office is GCT6YW Have fun, and be the first kid on your block with the new geocache ICON, that's right, new ICON we hope to establish.

Best regards to our neighbours, Zonker&co

That is cool. :P

I would like to ask if it is possible, i think it should be, to use an already exsisting cache as it is as an post office, if thats the case then i would like to make one of our caches a Post office cache. In fact its a good one for it because it is located at a place close to one of the top events in my country with over 300 visitors. In that way its always easy as a post office.

Greetz Kapitein Haak.

I would like to ask if it is possible, i think it should be, to use an already exsisting cache as it is as an post office, if thats the case then i would like to make one of our caches a Post office cache. In fact its a good one for it because it is located at a place close to one of the top events in my country with over 300 visitors. In that way its always easy as a post office.

Great idea, Kapitein Haak, let us know when it is listed!

Do you need one in Western OK?

I have a good candidate already in place. Right off of I-40.

Go ahead and place it, Okiebryan. The more there are, the easier and faster the mail moves. One per town is sufficient, and there are none yet in Oklahoma as far as I know. Let us know when it is approved.

Do you need one in Western OK?

I have a good candidate already in place. Right off of I-40.

Go ahead and place it, Okiebryan. The more there are, the easier and faster the mail moves. One per town is sufficient, and there are none yet in Oklahoma as far as I know. Let us know when it is approved.

GCZ327