Geo-post Offices

A new type of geocache has sprung up in Eastern Canada- the Geo-Post Office. The idea is to send postcards, notes, and other greetings to eack other via the "Geo-post". There is already a network of these postoffice geocaches in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and the system works! We maritimers have been having a lot of fun with it, and we want to expand the idea to the North East USA and the province of Quebec. If you want to set one up, just check out the write-up on one of ours. Feel free to cut and paste, and let us know when the cache is up and running so we can provide a link to your cache on our page. GCTTCZ is the link to my post office, and it has links to all the others to date. Team TKD came up with this revolutionary idea in Halifax, Nova Scotia. His post office is GCT6YW Have fun, and be the first kid on your block with the new geocache ICON, that's right, new ICON we hope to establish.

Best regards to our neighbours, Zonker&co

There will be one coming to Upstate NY soon!!

Who cares if it is new or revolutionary. Some of us will do it...some won't. The ones that do, let's just have fun with it. Someone is trying to be creative...others may have already don't it. Let's just have our fun instead of attacking them and saying their idea is nothing new.

Well said, those who don't want to have fun with those who do, will still want to log the container as a find. And those who are out there doing the F.T.F. numbers game will be all over this the first day Its published. BACK OFF, NAY SAYERS. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE IDEA, FINE. WE DON'T NEED TO HEAR THE SAME REASONS OVER AND OVER AGEN. :laughing: just my input

Cool. We actually did something very similar with a TB. We named it "Milo's Message" (Milo is our son). It was a small coinpurse, inside was a film canister (to keep it weather-resistant). Then we put a message in the canister and it's mission was to travel from our home in Indiana, to near my sister's home in Texas. Once it got there, she was supposed to put a note back in the canister and send it back our way... or to another cacher, her choice.

The experiment almost worked. The TB made it to her area, within just a few miles of her house. Unfortunately the TB was lost over a year ago, before she could lay hands on it.

As yet, there are no geo post offices in New Jersey, MrEagleW01. Feel free to place one. Ideally, every small town will have one, larger cities have multiple GPOs. Right now there are dozens in Atlantic Canada and the Geo mail moves freely. There are over 75 now worldwide. The grid is slowly getting built....

There are now 82 Geo Post Offices open worldwide. Most are in Canada and the USA. Is there one in your home town? If not, consider placing one. Just check out the listings of existing Geo Post Offices to see what they are about. If you have any questions, just ask me, I promise a quick reply.

So, if I wanted to start a geo-post office in my community, what would I need to do other than hide an ammo can in a spot that was reasonably accessible to people passing through town (preferably also in a spot that had some sort of tourist appeal) and post the cache, designated as a geo-post office?

Instead of swag, just put in some postcards so that finders can address and send one on if they want to. Medium size baggies to hold an addressed card are a good idea as cards can get moldy if unprotected. Maybe put in a copy of the cache listing, or an explanation of what a geo post office is, as well. Feel free to cut and paste any info from my GPO listings. Your cache will end up acting as a "pony express" type of relay station...Also, put "Geo-Post Office" somewhere in the cache name so that it can be found via a search. It's that simple...

Edited by Zonker&co

This is great! I want in.

I will be scouting locations tomorrow (Wednesday 11/7/07) for a GPO in Carbondale, IL. Though, I might drive out to Marion, IL which is near a major interstate (I-57).

I have a 50cal ammo box just waiting to be used for something... Or perhaps I'll go with an otterbox... either way, it will be one of the two...

I'll be scouting tomorrow and this weekend - hope to have it hidden by the end of the weekend at the latest, or tomorrow if I'm lucky in finding a spot. Should help bring the midwest online a bit :-)

Any advice on hiding an ammo/otter box in a place that is easily accessible but difficult for muggles to find? How are the rest of you doing it?

Edit to add "otterbox" since I realized I have one of those hanging out around the house as well

Edited by irchriscdk

I will be scouting locations tomorrow (Wednesday 11/7/07) for a GPO in Carbondale, IL. Though, I might drive out to Marion, IL which is near a major interstate (I-57).

I have a 50cal ammo box just waiting to be used for something...

I'll be scouting tomorrow and this weekend - hope to have it hidden by the end of the weekend at the latest, or tomorrow if I'm lucky in finding a spot. Should help bring the midwest online a bit :-)

Any advice on hiding an ammo box in a place that is easily accessible but difficult for muggles to find? How are the rest of you doing it?

I haven't put one out yet but some ideas:

1) Rest areas near highways

2) Park and rides (nearly always on a highway and readily available)

3) A tourist attraction (ie park, historic area/museum, etc)

I have a 50cal ammo box just waiting to be used for something...

Any advice on hiding an ammo box in a place that is easily accessible but difficult for muggles to find? How are the rest of you doing it?

I haven't put one out yet but some ideas:

1) Rest areas near highways

2) Park and rides (nearly always on a highway and readily available)

3) A tourist attraction (ie park, historic area/museum, etc)

Yup, three great suggestions for location. Remember to put in some blank postcards, baggies to keep them dry, and a page explaining what GPOs are and how they work. (The cache listing page works fine) Please feel free to cut n paste from my Geo Post Office pages if you want, and let me know when yours is listed , and I will add it to the bookmark list. Cheers! Z.

I am actually liking this idea and thinking of putting one in Delaware, maybe two...Northern (near PA, MD and NJ) and one south near the beaches...I will scout it out this Sunday

Placing two or three relatively close like that will get the Geo Post Office grid functioning locally in quick form. It will also speed the spread of GPOs in the area...

Edited by Zonker&co

Well Pittsfield Mass. (01201) is not up yet. Still trying to figure out where would be the best spot for it. would love to put it near the new bus and train terminal, since it would represent the good old days when the mail would come by stagecoach or rail.

I might put one near the mass pike (I-90) in Lee Mass. as well

Hi, think yopur idea sounds fab. Any in the UK yet. If not, please email me details on how to get started and maybe I can carry on your idea over here.

Will somebody send me a post card, I never get any. Don't mind how long it takes, i'm 40 so hopefully got a good few years left to wait around for one

Hi, think yopur idea sounds fab. Any in the UK yet. If not, please email me details on how to get started and maybe I can carry on your idea over here.

Will somebody send me a post card, I never get any. Don't mind how long it takes, i'm 40 so hopefully got a good few years left to wait around for one

Yes thaere are a couple in the UK, we just need some more open there so the mail can flow more freely. Look in the bookmark list for any of the GPOs and you will find the UK ones. The listings are self-explanatory as to how to set them up. Just use a good-sized container, have some blank postcards inside, and put an explanatory note as to how GPOs function in with the "stash note".

You can cut and paste from wither of my GPO listings if you want.

Any particular questions, just email me directly.... Good luck!

Geo Post Office open in Arnhem, The Netherlands

GCNY0E

Today i received a letter from Zonkers & Co that was posted about a year ago, it was brought to me by Portugese cachers which we spend all day with and it was lots of fun.

Thanks for the card Zonkers and greetz from

Team Kapitein Haak.

Cool!

The system works internationally!! The grid has been funstioning very well here in eastern Canada and the Northeast USA. I have about a dozen postcards from other cachers...

I humbly suggest:

1. ... adding a set of maps map (a la those on profile pages) showing the Canadian provinces, US states, and countries globally where GPOs are established. Maybe on the bookmark page (if possible) or on the page of GPO cache number one. Or, if there's such a map out there and I haven't found it, please provide a link.

2. ... could one of our more computer savy users figure out a way to do tracking of GPO stats? Number of GPOs, number of letters in circulation, distance traveled, records of various types, etc.

Thanks,

StumpWater