Geo-post Offices

Rather than update my Geo-post Office page every time a new Post Office comes online, I just provided a link to the bookmark page. This way is a whole lot easier, the HTML reads:

<p><font color="blue"><a href=

"http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=2d076c25-a072-4d39-a7f2-0e9e11f3b81a">

Click here</a> to visit a list of all the Geo-Post

Offices.</font></p>

Feel free to cut and paste it.

Rather than update my Geo-post Office page every time a new Post Office comes online, I just provided a link to the bookmark page. This way is a whole lot easier, the HTML reads:

<p><font color="blue"><a href=

"http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=2d076c25-a072-4d39-a7f2-0e9e11f3b81a">

Click here</a> to visit a list of all the Geo-Post

Offices.</font></p>

Feel free to cut and paste it.

this is what I get...

View Bookmark List [All Bookmark Lists]

You do not have permissions to view this list.

miss butterfly:Nothing too particular, other than you should name it as a geo post office and provide some explanation on the cache listing page. Of course you can cut and paste from existing listings, and it's nice to leave some blank postcards in the cache. If you can place it in a realtively easy access location, that's good too, so cachers can stop by quickly for a pick-up when heading out of town. You can provide a link to the other GPOs via my book mark list which is on all of the other GPOs. If you have a local geocaching association, let them know too, so that others in the UK can set them up. Good luck, and feel free to ask for help.

Edited by Zonker&co

Sounds cool! But let me get this straight, How do you address a postcard to a specific cacher? I musta missed that part when I was skimming through. Do I send it, for example: "To Crusso c/o Geo post office #46" (or whatever the GC # is)? Does that mean that when it gets there it should be left in the cache till it's picked up by the cacher it's addressed to? How does that cacher know it's arrived? (Wow, guess I missed alot!)

Also, how do I find all the Geo post offices? When I do a keyword search, I only get like 5. Maybe all the cache names should include the term "Geo Post Office or GPO" in the title?

Edited by Crusso

Excellent idea Zonker&Co, don't be put off by the few negative comments you get, just remember that the vast majority of GeoCachers never visit the Forums and just like getting out to hunt Tupperware and have fun. We'd certainly be up for setting up a Geo-Post Office in our part of the UK, particularly as we are really keen on new creative ways of using the LB Hybrid type and this seems spot on.

• You might like to look at how the Motorway Mayhem series is organised in the UK, as having an external website (GCTAV7) makes it even easier to find them than Bookmark Lists which most GeoCachers don't know about.
  • Having a quite strict naming convention makes it much easier to search for all/closest Geo-Post Office. At hte moment there is quite a variation in the naming conventions used so going for something like Geo-Post Office - <location> - <otherstuff> and linking to a common external website would give your great idea a much stronger identity.
  • Having a unique 'franking' stamp in each Geo-Post Office would not only add to the fun (eg collecting a full set of franked cards, ...) but mean that they could be classed as LB Hybrids, and as there arn't that many of them it would again make it easier to find (search for type=LB Hybrid keyword=Geo-Post Office

Must get my 11 year old son onto designing a special frank stamp for Geo-Post Office - Norwich

<snip>

[*]You might like to look at how the Motorway Mayhem series is organised in the UK, as having an external website (GCTAV7) makes it even easier to find them than Bookmark Lists which most GeoCachers don't know about.

<snip>

[*]Having a unique 'franking' stamp in each Geo-Post Office would not only add to the fun (eg collecting a full set of franked cards, ...) but mean that they could be classed as LB Hybrids, and as there arn't that many of them it would again make it easier to find (search for type=LB Hybrid keyword=Geo-Post Office

Must get my 11 year old son onto designing a special frank stamp for Geo-Post Office - Norwich

I made my GeoPost Office to also be a motorway mayhem cache, as I thought this would increase the number of people that will see this cache while planning a trip somewhere.

Also, my post office provides unique postcard that has been handstamped using waterproof ink, and has the cache code on it..... i will post a pic later <_<

postcard.jpg

(edited to add photo & shorten quote)

Edited by miss_butterfly

I have just found the Geo-Post Office website maintained by robich and le tigre. Maybe you guys in the Maritimes could sort out naming conventions, common wording, background image and one Bookmark List or Website with all the Geo-Post Offices on it. Mean while we'll get on with planning ours this end (might ask my Scottish contact to join in too). :(

I know it smacks a bit of making excess rules but it might be better to sort out the confusion of different names and bookmark lists now while the network of cacges is relatively small. Anyway here are the links for the various lists if you want to find your local Geo-Post Office/Geopost Office/geo-post office/bureau de geoposte:

1. Geo-Post Offices by zonker & co
  2. Geo-Post Offices website by robich & le tigre
  3. GeoPost Office by ACE226
  4. TB Hotels & Geo-Post Office by GeoSlyCa

I've just realised i posted this on signautre item thread couple of days ago instead of posting it here (OOOPS)!!

now i look like a right weirdo on that thread..... *hides*

----

I have now created a UK GeoPost Office bookmark, so if you creat one in the UK, please inform both Zonker&Co and myself (of course i will keep an eye on this thread as Zonker&Co has eagle eyes for new geopost offices!)

Zonker- Does everyone have to place a GPO of their own to receive mail? Or can they just tell people that their geo-address is that of an existing GPO that someone else has already placed in their area and use that as their in-box?

Edited by Middie08