Geo-post Offices

A new type of geocache has sprung up in Eastern Canada- the Geo-Post Office. The idea is to send postcards, notes, and other greetings to eack other via the "Geo-post". There is already a network of these postoffice geocaches in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and the system works! We maritimers have been having a lot of fun with it, and we want to expand the idea to the North East USA and the province of Quebec. If you want to set one up, just check out the write-up on one of ours. Feel free to cut and paste, and let us know when the cache is up and running so we can provide a link to your cache on our page. GCTTCZ is the link to my post office, and it has links to all the others to date. Team TKD came up with this revolutionary idea in Halifax, Nova Scotia. His post office is GCT6YW Have fun, and be the first kid on your block with the new geocache ICON, that's right, new ICON we hope to establish.

Best regards to our neighbours, Zonker&co

Edited by Zonker&co

That's the most original geocaching idea I've seen in a long time!

So, when a postcard is picked up by a cacher, are they supposed to take it directly to the destination geo-post office, or can they place it in a regular cache that is in the general direction of the destination geo-post office, hoping that another cacher will in turn pick it up and move it even closer to the destination, etc. (similar to moving a TB closer to its goal)?

Yes to the second part, subterranean. Just move the postcard to a regular cache in the direction of the destination. Send the postcard recipient a quick email as to where the postcard is "now" and they can decide if it's close enough to go for a "pick-up". Otherwise the postcard sits until someone happens along who can move the postcard closer.

Uhm, so the post cards are just travel bugs without tags. It's not an overly novel idea. People have sent items to other people via TB tag for years. Another cacher send me a magazine that way 2yrs ago.

Have TPTB actually told you that this cache is going to get a new cache type/icon?

Have TPTB actually told you that this cache is going to get a new cache type/icon?

Jeremy has been referencing a letterboxing site that appears to be "coming soon". My guess is they did tell him they'd give a new icon, it would be this one: 5.gif

Move virts and locationless to Waymarking.com, LB hybrids to letterboxer.com, and just re-use the icons to save server space.

:)

Jeremy has been referencing a letterboxing site that appears to be "coming soon". My guess is they did tell him they'd give a new icon, it would be this one: 5.gif

Move virts and locationless to Waymarking.com, LB hybrids to letterboxer.com, and just re-use the icons to save server space.

:)

Except I'm pretty sure I read him post that LB hybrid caches wouldnt be moved to letterboxer.com.

Seriously, I can't imagine TPTB defining a new cache type for this. The most I can see them doing is assigning a cache attribute, and I personally think even that is a stretch.

Except I'm pretty sure I read him post that LB hybrid caches wouldnt be moved to letterboxer.com.

Seriously, I can't imagine TPTB defining a new cache type for this. The most I can see them doing is assigning a cache attribute, and I personally think even that is a stretch.

I was kidding.

All I know is that this type of cache is FUN!!! I'm from the Maritimes (New Brunswick, Canada), and I've started up a "Geo-Post Office" and one of my cards has already been received by another cacher.

It still remains a regular cache, but dropping a post card or letter and/or picking up a post card or letter adds interest to these caches. *s*

My (Canadian) 5 cents worth! *s*

We too own one of the geo-post offices in Nova Scotia and this idea started out being a fun way to send greetings to other local cachers. The caches are regular caches but non-trading except for postcards incoming or outgoing. We do have plans to purchase a rubber stamp with our unique logo on it so that all outgoing mail can be stamped. This is just a fun way to communicate and I think that the hopes were to expand to our geological neighbours. As for an icon, who knows?

Well, to me it's comparable to travel bug hotels. You can put a travel bug in ANY cache, you can stick a post card in ANY cache, as long as it fits. Doesn't need to be a special cache made just for that. I got a travel bug delivered to me via cache mail, and it made it just fine. Icons are not important to me, so I could care less about that part of it. The concept of delivering things via cache mail is cool, but why make a special department just for this type of cache, when any cache'll do?

I am in...I think I may put one in a park n ride in Windsor in the next few weeks. While it may not be a novel idea I just see it is a TB that will not get stolen or misplaced as most of mine have. I also think that it is the same as a TB hotel so I would try to keep it up as that also. My theory is...it is a cache...do what you will but it is a number and us people that like the idea will do so. Count me in and E-Mail me to tell me what you want on the front page...I will be the first to start it in the US.

A new type of geocache has sprung up in Eastern Canada- the Geo-Post Office. The idea is to send postcards, notes, and other greetings to eack other via the "Geo-post". There is already a network of these postoffice geocaches in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and the system works! We maritimers have been having a lot of fun with it, and we want to expand the idea to the North East USA and the province of Quebec. If you want to set one up, just check out the write-up on one of ours. Feel free to cut and paste, and let us know when the cache is up and running so we can provide a link to your cache on our page. GCTTCZ is the link to my post office, and it has links to all the others to date. Team TKD came up with this revolutionary idea in Halifax, Nova Scotia. His post office is GCT6YW Have fun, and be the first kid on your block with the new geocache ICON, that's right, new ICON we hope to establish.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is neither revolutionary, nor original. You might want to take a look at the Stargate series of caches.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is neither revolutionary, nor original. You might want to take a look at the Stargate series of caches.

The Stargate theme was another creative variation of geocaching. How is it in any way like this new idea?

Who cares if it is new or revolutionary. Some of us will do it...some won't. The ones that do, let's just have fun with it. Someone is trying to be creative...others may have already don't it. Let's just have our fun instead of attacking them and saying their idea is nothing new.

Who cares if it is new or revolutionary. Some of us will do it...some won't. The ones that do, let's just have fun with it. Someone is trying to be creative...others may have already don't it. Let's just have our fun instead of attacking them and saying their idea is nothing new.

exactly. Who cares whether it has "its own icon" or anything? It's a cute idea, whether new, novel, or whatnot.

Would it make sense to have one as far south as southern OH?

Thanks for all the input - constructive and otherwise; if any of you build a place a geo-post office cache, let me know via e-mail when it's approved so we can provide a link to it on the cache pages. Feel free to cut and paste from my listing if you like. If you let me know when your listing is published, I'll pass the word around up here, and you can count on some geo-mail being sent your way.

Well It's great to hear some input on this! So far, I'm very happy with the progress of the cards here in the Maritimes. At the begininning I was doubtful that people would be open to this new idea but it seems to have taken off and I'm proud to be involved in starting it off. I just delivered a card to Canuck Thistles at the last event and I do believe that it was the first card that was actaully delivered from spot to another although I am not sure. If anyone plants a Geo-Post Office of there own feel free to drop me an email and I will add a link to it on the cache pages of my two geo-post offices.

Happy caching!

Well It's great to hear some input on this! So far, I'm very happy with the progress of the cards here in the Maritimes. At the begininning I was doubtful that people would be open to this new idea but it seems to have taken off and I'm proud to be involved in starting it off. I just delivered a card to Canuck Thistles at the last event and I do believe that it was the first card that was actaully delivered from spot to another although I am not sure. If anyone plants a Geo-Post Office of there own feel free to drop me an email and I will add a link to it on the cache pages of my two geo-post offices.

Happy caching!

I think this is way-cool. I live in Springfield, MO USA & I am going to get one up down here. I'll send you a card!

Let us know when it's listed, jeepers2, so that we can link to your cache page! Feel free to cut and paste text if you want to. My listing is GCTTCZ and it provides links to all the other known Geo-Post Offices. They're an easy build, as all they're for is postcacrds and trackables. Most of us up here don't put swag in the GPO's and we just make a small note of that in the listing.

Edited by Zonker&co

Let us know when it's listed, jeepers2, so that we can link to your cache page! Feel free to cut and paste text if you want to. My listing is GCTTCZ and it provides links to all the other known Geo-Post Offices. They're an easy build, as all they're for is postcacrds and trackables. Most of us up here don't put swag in the GPO's and we just make a small note of that in the listing.

Will do. I am seeking permission for a site that I chose for this special cache. As soon as it is placed I will contact you. I have also contacted several other cachers in different cities to see if there is interest in this. You will see this up in the States soon. Great Idea!!

I've done a bit of 'geo-mail'. I had come to find a cache that had been muggle destroyed, I took the remains with me (log book and swag). Emailed the owner and put the stuff in a baggy with a note to take it to such n such so the guy could have his stuff back and placed it in a nearby cache. Kind of like a TB without the tracking I guess.

Edited by scavok

Congrats on bringing an old-fashioned idea back to life. The original letterboxes were hidden on islands in the western pacific and Indian Oceans. Sea Captains that regularily traveled those routes knew where these boxes were and stopped often to check the boxes for mail destined for the direction they were headed and to drop mail off.

So our Canadian brothers are just following their roots. ( the English sea captains)

Hey Zonker&co!!!

I think the idea is GREAT...I put out the call for Vancouver Island to follow suit with the East coast cachers and I think its gonna work!! in a little while we will have a network of Geo PO boxes all up and down the Island. I'm sure the Lower Mainland Cachers (Vancouver and area) will continue it on the mainland... Before we know it it will be across Canada and the States.

C2C2C

The third GPO in the USA and the 12th worldwide, is now open in Milford, N.H. Congrats, SNSPRT. Visit the listing at GCVW4H<p> Please send me an e-mail when the new GPO's open, C2C2C, so that I can provide a link to them on my cache listing, and I'll notify the local lunatics, I mean cachers.

This has already been done WITH TB tag (a lot more expensive "postage")

I had the pleasure of being the final "postman" on THIS one a couple of years ago.

I "postmarked" it prior to final delivery. I thought that was rather cool at the time, but if everyone handling the postcard did so, there wouldn't be much else on the card but "postmarks".

1885609_400.jpg

So many of you are being negative towards this.

I know that its nothing that special but I think maybe it might get people more involved with people. Something this sport needs.

Zonker I will be opening one of these in middle Georgia, USA.

PS who cares about the icon, its just a image.

Edited by Team Hassnander

I "postmarked" it prior to final delivery.

Clearly speed of delivery is not the draw to this. Let me understand this (clarify for me if I'm wrong) -- I can send a postcard to someone (if there is a geo-postbox in their area) and they will receive it in about a year and a half? Better keep those messages non-time sensitive. Seriously though, what am I missing here?

Clearly speed of delivery is not the draw to this. Let me understand this (clarify for me if I'm wrong) -- I can send a postcard to someone (if there is a geo-postbox in their area) and they will receive it in about a year and a half? Better keep those messages non-time sensitive. Seriously though, what am I missing here?

A year and a half? My TB is all the way to California in less then a month.

I was referring to the one in the picture

I was referring to the one in the picture

bicker bicker bicker...i think its a great idea. another 'perspective' on the game. Something else to play with!

Yes, you'll have to explain the Stargate similarity, because I own one of them too. Anyhow, naysayers be damned, I want to send a HUGE congrats to Tim, Pam, and Molly on opening the second GPO in the great state of Missouri, the fourth in the USA, and the thirteenth worldwide! Check out GCW01N here. Mail is incoming, you guys! :(

Edited by Zonker&co