Provacative Cache Names

Mearth

I've recently submitted a cache with a name my area reviewer fears may be offensive to some folks. We are in the early stages of discussing the matter, so this IS NOT an effort to complain about my much-appreciated reviewers in the forums. The issue has sparked my curiousity about the prevalence of potentially "provocative" (sexually, racially, politically, etc...) nicknames for caches. Know of any in your area?

I have used a term that has a couple of benign uses (relevant to my cache site), one "naughty" school-boy meaning, and apparently (unbeknownst to naive me) one derogatory meaning, depending on who is using it and in what context.

Again, the disclaimer: This a a curiousity/entertainment question. My reviewer and I will hammer out our difference of opinion privately.

Edited by Mearth

This is a family-friendly activity. The listing guidelines, review standards and site terms of use reflect this.

The test I use: if I'm driving around finding caches with my young daughter, and she asks "what's the name of the next cache?", would I be embarrassed or upset to have to either censor or explain? She is old enough to navigate the cache list herself, but I'd rather pick and choose my own "teachable moments." Caching should be a break from all that, IMHO.

That being said, I have a cache or two with a double entendre. It's a question of which side of the line the words fall on.

This is a family-friendly activity. The listing guidelines, review standards and site terms of use reflect this.

The test I use: if I'm driving around finding caches with my young daughter, and she asks "what's the name of the next cache?", would I be embarrassed or upset to have to either censor or explain? She is old enough to navigate the cache list herself, but I'd rather pick and choose my own "teachable moments." Caching should be a break from all that, IMHO.

That being said, I have a cache or two with a double entendre. It's a question of which side of the line the words fall on.

Agreed! Given that I often cache with my school-aged child, I feel this is a good common-sense guideline. I also think there is room for discussion:

1. What might be embarassing or upsetting for one parent, may not be to another. There was a cache in my area called "I hate you, too!". The cache owner is a good guy who was making a joke about the mixed emotional experience of family visits. Another local cacher had very strong feelings about the cache name and refused to seek it.

2. A "double entendre" implies the use of terms that have legitmate meanings other than the possibly provacative one. If a cache name clearly refers to the "polite" meaning, should the term be stricken from the name?

3. Regional dialects vary greatly and in the world-wide geocaching community, we could regulate ourselves into the strict use of numerical cache names in short order if we begin to sort through cache names that might be offensive to someone. For instance, I recently moved a TB called "Willy the Whale". What does that imply in England? Could you find a British parent who might find it embarassing or upsetting if their small child picked up that TB? Well, maybe the British are a bad example here, since they seem to have little trouble referencing common anatomy. But thinking of that same anatomical feature, I'm sure we could all make a list of words that have been adopted to name it, and would agree that those words have other uses unrelated to reproductive organs. Do we eliminate the use of those terms in all contexts in order to remain "family friendly"? The irony involved in finding reproductive anatomy "family hostile" is rich with conversation possiblities in itself.

I am prepared to change the name of my cache in order to get it approved (vs. reviewed), but I don't care for the precedent being set. I suspect there are numerous caches out there that could be censored from one perspective or another...thus my OP.

Regional dialects vary greatly and in the world-wide geocaching community, we could regulate ourselves into the strict use of numerical cache names in short order if we begin to sort through cache names that might be offensive to someone. For instance, I recently moved a TB called "Willy the Whale". What does that imply in England?

My wife had a friend from Ireland who would laugh hysterically every time she drove past a "park n ride' sign.

Park n ride had a totally different meaning where she came from.

1. What might be embarassing or upsetting for one parent, may not be to another. There was a cache in my area called "I hate you, too!". The cache owner is a good guy who was making a joke about the mixed emotional experience of family visits. Another local cacher had very strong feelings about the cache name and refused to seek it.

2. A "double entendre" implies the use of terms that have legitmate meanings other than the possibly provacative one. If a cache name clearly refers to the "polite" meaning, should the term be stricken from the name?

3. Regional dialects vary greatly and in the world-wide geocaching community, we could regulate ourselves into the strict use of numerical cache names in short order if we begin to sort through cache names that might be offensive to someone. For instance, I recently moved a TB called "Willy the Whale". What does that imply in England? Could you find a British parent who might find it embarassing or upsetting if their small child picked up that TB? Well, maybe the British are a bad example here, since they seem to have little trouble referencing common anatomy. But thinking of that same anatomical feature, I'm sure we could all make a list of words that have been adopted to name it, and would agree that those words have other uses unrelated to reproductive organs. Do we eliminate the use of those terms in all contexts in order to remain "family friendly"? The irony involved in finding reproductive anatomy "family hostile" is rich with conversation possiblities in itself.

I am prepared to change the name of my cache in order to get it approved (vs. reviewed), but I don't care for the precedent being set. I suspect there are numerous caches out there that could be censored from one perspective or another...thus my OP.

1. Your reviewer has a good sense of the prevailing thinking among the local geocaching community. Even if the reviewer is a potty mouthed pervert (as in, say, Western Pennsylvania), he or she will still apply the guideline as fairly as possible. The reviewers check with one another often in cases where there are doubts.

2. No, if there is a plausible clean meaning for a double entendre and no reference at all to its other meaning, I personally don't have a problem with that. My "Size Matters to the Elves" cache is predominantly a play on the ongoing cache size arguments. One stage is a film container and the other is an ammo box. There is not even a winky smiley on the cache page.

3. It is recognized that standards vary among cultures. That is why the majority of cache reviewers hail from the area where they review cache submissions. If there's some variation in cache name "censorship," as you call it, I think that's a good thing if it is done for the right reasons.

As in all things in life there will things that some people find offensive while the rest of a group thinks it is fine. My questions on this subject are as follows:

1. When your young duaghter asks what is the next cache, why are you telling her a cache name that you might find offensive? You do have total control over what caches you wish to go after so if this was offensive to you why in world would you you even bring it up in front of your daughter?

2. This is America, the land of free speech. If you find something offensive you have the total freedom to ignore it. Since you are in control of what you are going after and viewing you should have no trouble ignoring the caches you find offensive. Perhaps I am misguided and you live in some state of the union that forces you to do every cache that appears in your area no matter how offensive the material may seem to you. You may find them offensive but the constitution allows them! This is your country.

3. I am sure that your daughter or son is exposed to much higher vulger speech and mannerisms on their ride to school in the average school bus than they would ever see in Geocaching.

4. Why don't you get a real life and quit worrying about non-issues and do something constructive?

Just my 2-cents.

Err...Royal Red...I did ask. And I know better than to ask if I don't want to hear people's answers.

I was hoping to have some cache names thrown out there so I could "test the waters" so-to-speak. To see if my idea is really whacked. The site's been down most of the day, or I'd have searched on my own.

I was hoping to have some cache names thrown out there so I could "test the waters" so-to-speak. To see if my idea is really whacked. The site's been down most of the day, or I'd have searched on my own.

What about a good ole F.U. outside Fredricksburg University? Is that what you were after? If so, F.U.

What about these new caches soon to be listed? Are they too bad? My niece is releasing one called "Don't screw yourself" The container requires the use of a screwdriver that the cacher must bring with them, else their "screwed". One I have ready is called "Colonoscopy" because of the very rare shaped tree that I found.(yes) :) Now granted, I wouldn't want to describe that particular medical procedure to my 9 year old, she and her 12 year old brother discovered the tree and were laughing hysterically at all the names we could have used, I thought using the medical term not only would drum up curiousity, but still fall in the family values theme. "Don't screw yourself" could be misconstrued, but the obviousness of the tool reference is clear on the listing. I have read listings and team names that are worse, but IMHO, putting a few references in there for the adults to get a chuckle out of, while at the same time, going over the kids head, is just dandy by me. "I'll be damned" is the only listing I can think of, but some of the team names are crazy.

Err...Royal Red...I did ask. And I know better than to ask if I don't want to hear people's answers.

I wasn't ranting at you but at the others resonding to this thread. More power to you. Name it as you feel fit and don't worry about what people think!

Edited by RoyalRed

As in all things in life there will things that some people find offensive while the rest of a group thinks it is fine. My questions on this subject are as follows:

1. When your young duaghter asks what is the next cache, why are you telling her a cache name that you might find offensive? You do have total control over what caches you wish to go after so if this was offensive to you why in world would you you even bring it up in front of your daughter?

2. This is America, the land of free speech. If you find something offensive you have the total freedom to ignore it. Since you are in control of what you are going after and viewing you should have no trouble ignoring the caches you find offensive. Perhaps I am misguided and you live in some state of the union that forces you to do every cache that appears in your area no matter how offensive the material may seem to you. You may find them offensive but the constitution allows them! This is your country.

3. I am sure that your daughter or son is exposed to much higher vulger speech and mannerisms on their ride to school in the average school bus than they would ever see in Geocaching.

4. Why don't you get a real life and quit worrying about non-issues and do something constructive?

Just my 2-cents.

You sound like you agree the cache should be listed, then you slam that door shut. What's your point?

I've recently submitted a cache with a name my area reviewer fears may be offensive to some folks. We are in the early stages of discussing the matter, so this IS NOT an effort to complain about my much-appreciated reviewers in the forums. The issue has sparked my curiousity about the prevalence of potentially "provocative" (sexually, racially, politically, etc...) nicknames for caches. Know of any in your area?...

What is the proposed cache name?

To answer your question I have found caches placed that were intended to be insulting and offensive to specific people. Just like some people have inside jokes, others can utilize inside insults that would bypass most peoples 'offensometers' and yet still crack like a whip on their target. Most caches I've seen that have a 'racy' name or one with a double meaning tend to end up being a clue as to the cache itself or a take on it's location. Both make sence once you are there.

Edited by Renegade Knight

The point is, that I *ought* to be able to tell her about the next cache, without having to worry whether its name or cache description is family-friendly. And now she's old enough to browse the pocket query results on the laptop or PDA -- a great help when we are on the road. Tell me you pre-screen all 500 cache names every time you head out with a kid along?

Your understanding of constitutional law is on roughly the same level as your understanding of the Forum Conduct Guidelines. This is a private website with published family-friendly standards. The First Amendment doesn't apply here.

I am sure you're right. That is why we enjoy geocaching as a place to escape from that.

Have you ever considered a career as a TV anchorman? I hear there may be an opening in Michigan. :)

Edited by The Leprechauns

I had one called 'size DOES matter'. It was a cache hidden in a very large pinecone, hidden near a bunch of small pinecones. I got alot of DNFs on it. I'd link it for you, but I adopted it out and then it got archived, and I don't know how to find it.

However, as a Christian and a parent, I must admit I'm a bit ashamed of hiding this one, in retrospect. It would be a bit embarassing to explain.

However however...part of Geocaching's charm is the seat-of-the-pants, lack of real organization/hard fast rules. The more regulated/comercialized/sterilized it gets, the less fun (IMHO) it will become.

So, the bottom line of my convoluted post is: If you think it's provacative, it probably is, so police yourself. The more rules Jeremy & CO. are forced to make, the less fun it becomes.

I have a cache named "Beer Hall Gal", it has nothing to do with beer, a beer hall or a gal. It is a two-word anagram for "Algebra ...". Well actually the anagarm of the cache name is worse than the cache name itself.

Of the caches I have *done* only one is a little bit risque: "Bring a change of underwear"

This cache has a name that isn't even a double-entendre -- it has only one meaning, as far as I know; I was kind of surprised that it was published with that name.

BRAVO! I cannot help but let my mind run wild on this one. Why this name? Ohhh the possibilities! If I am fortunate enough to get back anytime soon, I make sure to catch that cache. I will even wear my “know the toe” shirt! WOW!

This cache has a name that isn't even a double-entendre -- it has only one meaning, as far as I know; I was kind of surprised that it was published with that name.

BRAVO! I cannot help but let my mind run wild on this one. Why this name? Ohhh the possibilities! If I am fortunate enough to get back anytime soon, I make sure to catch that cache. I will even wear my “know the toe” shirt! WOW!

Great.....now I feel dirty...... :(

My cousin and her husband went cycling through Australia. They are from California. Whenever her husband mentioned his "fanny pack" he got weird looks. At one point someone told them it is called a "bum bag" in Australia. He went, hmmmmmmmmmm, big deal, and continued to refer to it as a fanny pack. Eventually a woman took my cousin aside and explained to her once again that it is called a "bum bag" in Australia but this time she also told her that, in Australia, "fanny" is a euphemism for "vagina".

We can't all be aware of slang that is used elsewhere and we can't possibly "police" our cache titles or descriptions to suit everybody everywhere.

I think I am going to cry:

GC7C1E

B):P:)<_<:P:P

What is it with these east coast guys guys?

Wow!

I have to admit, I wouldn't have known what that meant until about a month ago.

A local radio station was doing a bit about new meanings for words. I heard that one, and had to look it up in an online "Urban Dictionary."

To each his own...but that is disgusting...

This week I was caching is south central Tennessee, close to the Alabama border, and came across a cache called "The Mighty Cock" . The term is used to name a giant chicken that is in front of a gas station.

What made it more interesting was that 2 buildings down the street, was a gentlemens club called the Boo*ie Bungalow, and across the interstate was an adult bookstore. The cache name took on different meanings in the light of those businesses.

Also the closest cache in Alabama was called " a short visit to the House of Many Pleasures" The HMP was a floral shop in that town, but my thoughts turned to something different (Me Bad)

Edited by Gary and Mary Adventurers

My Rubbers cache took a while to get listed. (And you need to read the description too.) The decision to list was based on most international reviewers not having a problem with it, though the US reviewers thought the title was too much.

I also have a cache called Hidden Dicks which is hidden on Dicks Creek.

I'm surprised you hid those two so far apart. Why didn't you hide those two on top of one another? :(:D

For instance, I recently moved a TB called "Willy the Whale". What does that imply in England?

Very little. The movie "Free Willy" was released in the UK under the title of, er, "Free Willy". There were several good graffiti-ed additions to the posters, though. :D

There are towns in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland (list available on request!) whose entire names cannot be spoken on US network TV. What to do if their inhabitants decide to name their cache "<name> City Tour" ?

My cousin and her husband went cycling through Australia. They are from California. Whenever her husband mentioned his "fanny pack" he got weird looks. At one point someone told them it is called a "bum bag" in Australia. He went, hmmmmmmmmmm, big deal, and continued to refer to it as a fanny pack. Eventually a woman took my cousin aside and explained to her once again that it is called a "bum bag" in Australia but this time she also told her that, in Australia, "fanny" is a euphemism for "vagina".

We can't all be aware of slang that is used elsewhere and we can't possibly "police" our cache titles or descriptions to suit everybody everywhere.

I was going to mention that one too... Apparently "fanny" has the same meaning in England as well.

I can see that causing some strange looks!

I can think of several terms right off the bat that would either mean something vulgar in another language or have multiple meanings...

A person could look at some national monuments, some federal and state parks as being Provacative...

But what about towns like "Intercourse, PA" ...Would I go for caches there if I lived around there yeppers...

or If cache name was smells like fish and taste like chicken...so the cache is close to a salmon fishery dock in Oregan at a chicken fast food place...

Read the cache name......See where it is located.....Most likely you will see why it was named that way....

Just to read a cache title is not a reason to call it Provacative....

Where I live in colorado I could hide a cache called "Leave my Beaver alone" but by reading the description of cache you would see by some beaver ponds....

My two cents worth

Dave from Team_Talisman

Edited by Team_Talisman