Above The Clouds Cache

PastorDIC

I realize I would probably be trampled in the stampede to get a climbing permit, and I would have to get my wife a prescription of Valium for when I am gone, :laughing: but what equipment would be required to climb Mt. St. Helens if they open it to climbers? I know there have been groups of geocachers doing it before.

I realize I would probably be trampled in the stampede to get a climbing permit, and I would have to get my wife a prescription of Valium for when I am gone, :laughing: but what equipment would be required to climb Mt. St. Helens if they open it to climbers? I know there have been groups of geocachers doing it before.

A backpack with the 10 essentials. A good lunch and plenty of water and a few energy snacks to get you through. A pair of trekking poles, and good hiking boots.

EraSeek said it best in here about respecting the mountain. You also might want to read his post above that one and plan accordingly. A simple poncho may not be enough to protect you in inclement weather.

Here is the Mt St Helens "What to bring" Page: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount...-to-bring.shtml

Boots. Two quarts of water. Water is more important than food. I bring a box of ritz crackers. Sunscreen. Sunglasses. Layered clothing. I bring an ice axe, but I saw one guy stick himself in the head with one on St Helens. Hat. Really more than anything else Water and a windproof (waterproof) parka of some sort are the most important things to bring.

If you go in late August / early September, you don't need the ice axe.

Do wear gators, otherwise your boots will fill with rocks and ash. $20 at REI.

Don't forget the camera!

Two quarts of water wouldn't be enough for me. I'm taking four.

Yep. Did the climb in Sept 03. Not technical at all, but gaiters are mandatory. I'll need at least 4 qts of water due to the sweating machine I am. LOL. Also, if you wear contacts, you might consider wearing glasses for the day or do not forgot your goggles!

My usual food system consists of one or two peanut butter sandwhiches with bacon bits (yes you read right!), maybe couple packages of cheese crackers or can of Pringles, couple candy bars or energy bars. Usually that's enough for me and I usually have food left over.

For a Sep. 11 climb, I did not wear gaiters and didn't have much problem, even in the loose stuff near the top. I probably would've wore gaiters if they made gaiters that fit me, but they don't. I didn't miss them as much as I do in the winter in the snow.

Bring more water than you think you need. I ran out of water with a full platypus and 2-1L Nalgene bottles. I was almost out when I ran out, but running out is running out.

Sunglasses. Gloves. Stocking hat, even if it's 70 degrees at the Climber's Bivouac. Sunglasses. Sunglasses. (Not only for sun protection, but to keep blowing pumice out of your eyes.)

Trekking poles were very helpful for me.

Kite and wine are optional. :ph34r:

Edited by Bull Moose

Kite and wine are optional. -_-

Yeah... by the time Bull and I reached the summit, the fellow with the wine was already on his way down. We had missed that part of the party.

Didn't know about the kite, but it sure was windy enough :-)

That reminds me. A person like Shunra is also important to have along. If you try to quit he'll force you to march up to the summit. (It's worth it.)

Kite and wine are optional. <_<

Yeah... by the time Bull and I reached the summit, the fellow with the wine was already on his way down. We had missed that part of the party.

Didn't know about the kite, but it sure was windy enough :-)

That reminds me. A person like Shunra is also important to have along. If you try to quit he'll force you to march up to the summit. (It's worth it.)

Anyone who wants to carry me up that hill? :-))