National Register Of Historic Places

to facilitate the creation of a national register of historic places Waymarking category.

the hope is to have a category as discussed in:national register proposal, in which the LARGE category can be divided into regions (states), and then variables can further distinguish waymarks (county, object, etc).

feel free to join the group, and when there are enough members to vote, we will do so...

National Register of Historic Places Group

to facilitate the creation of a national register of historic places Waymarking category.

the hope is to have a category as discussed in:national register proposal, in which the LARGE category can be divided into regions (states), and then variables can further distinguish waymarks (county, object, etc).

feel free to join the group, and when there are enough members to vote, we will do so...

I've joined....

group is valid, but i must relenquish leadership--i already have over the max # of categories.....

any one wat to take over?

i will gladly be the vice president of the group....

if it is to go any farther that is what we must do....

I'll be happy to step up, but don't know the procedure....

ChapterhouseInc needs to step down by clicking on his username and clicking:

Resign as Leader of this Group (no vote required)

It will then raise whoever is the highest rank into that role.

If ChapterhouseInc wants you to be a leader he has to promote you to officer 1. The next ranked person gets the spot when the leader resigns.

ChapterhouseInc needs to step down by clicking on his username and clicking:

Resign as Leader of this Group (no vote required)

It will then raise whoever is the highest rank into that role.

If ChapterhouseInc wants you to be a leader he has to promote you to officer 1. The next ranked person gets the spot when the leader resigns.

Thanks, Jeremy....

yea, but i didnt read all the dialogue before i stepped down, and chestress got the leader position...we'll have to see how it goes....

Thanks...I sent chstress53 a note, as well.

I think this is a fun category, with a lot of promise. I'm hoping that we'll be able to encourage a lot of entries in this category.

I did some database magic and made you the leader - even if you tried to vote me out! :)

i did not try to vote you out...thanks for the magic....wish we all had some magic up our sleeve.

you said you didnt want to be a officer, after i had made you one, and was trying to give you common status again......

its just all so new and unknown...gotta play with it to figure it out....and one good way to learn something is to mess it up one time....

chapterhouse

tranfer to wilson successful.....

now we vote on it after he says we want a category......

and when we 100% vote yes,

he fills out a draft description for the review process.....

do we get to vote there as well? we are voting in the group.....

answers just bring more questions.....

What category variables do we want for this category? State / Territory seems to be obvious. Public / Private seems to be another good discriminator. Street address? Hours of operation? Any others?

tranfer to wilson successful.....

now we vote on it after he says we want a category......

and when we 100% vote yes,

he fills out a draft description for the review process.....

do we get to vote there as well? we are voting in the group.....

answers just bring more questions.....

I'm filling out some of the category description now...it looks like the editing process is difficult / impossible after I put the proposal to a vote, so I'm getting as much written down now as possible.

What category variables do we want for this category? State / Territory seems to be obvious. Public / Private seems to be another good discriminator. Street address? Hours of operation? Any others?

Here are the variables that I have for my Washington Historic Markers:

Marker Name

Marker Type (city, roadside, other (explain in description)

Town name: The closest town to marker

Date marker was placed (optional)

Placer: Who placed the marker?

Related website: If you know of a website that discusses this historic site, please put it here.

I'm still new at this, but those were some that popped into my head right away, or were already used by other state historical markers. Obviously, they should have to link to the place in the National Register database to show that their waymark is official.

Just some ideas.

Edited by Ambrosia

Marker Name

Related website: If you know of a website that discusses this historic site, please put it here.

I'm still new at this, but those were some that popped into my head right away, or were already used by other state historical markers. Obviously, they should have to link to the place in the National Register database to show that their waymark is official.

Just some ideas.

Thanks....

Name -- should be the same as it is listed on the NRHP

State / Territory (drop down box)

County / Borough / Parish (text box?)

Date listed

Public / Private (radio button?)

Season start / Season finish (optional)

Photograph submitted (check box, required)

Website (text box, optional)

Gosh, I go out caching and all @#$# breaks loose, Chapterhouse resigns,I am made Leader and Jeremy demoted. Thanks guys for straigtening all this out while I was out caching. I did receive all the emails. That cetainly was an interesting development.

Yeah...the emails and forum entries were flying thick and fast for awhile. Now we get to experiment with the groups and starting up a new category....

Marker Name

Thanks....

-yes.

-should there first be a 'country' option; as when submitting a waymark, thus, determining you option for state/territory?

-this would be a text box, but once we had several counties/bourough/parish names it could become a dropdown box as perscribed by the above data--with a 'not listed' option, of course.

Date listed

-yes, maybe add date constructed? this is available on the 'register' is it not?

-yes, to know if you can only see the 'front' or actually go inside

-is this necessary in the description? i think this is better served in the approval process. put it in the 'how to submit a waymark' in this category 'rules' and do not approve any that don't have the pics. {as a side note, i like the pictures on the description page, and try to require it....see any of my posted waymarks}.

-yes, with maybe multiple lines? maybe there are different sites; a park service site and one specifically about the house.

my comments added in above text.

Gosh, I go out caching and all @#$# breaks loose, Chapterhouse resigns,I am made Leader and Jeremy demoted. Thanks guys for straigtening all this out while I was out caching. I did receive all the emails. That cetainly was an interesting development.

sorry about that.....it is all unnavigated territory. i think those that saw it go down were quite amazed as well, i know i was.

i know how it works, as far as that process goes. wilson could probably vouch that the rest is just like our experience with category creation/management thus far.

we will now see how the approval process works--the time it takes.

just think, once we work this out, the site might can move out of beta. we still need more active waymarkers though......

Marker Name

Thanks....

-yes.

-should there first be a 'country' option; as when submitting a waymark, thus, determining you option for state/territory?

-this would be a text box, but once we had several counties/bourough/parish names it could become a dropdown box as perscribed by the above data--with a 'not listed' option, of course.

Date listed

-yes, maybe add date constructed? this is available on the 'register' is it not?

-yes, to know if you can only see the 'front' or actually go inside

-is this necessary in the description? i think this is better served in the approval process. put it in the 'how to submit a waymark' in this category 'rules' and do not approve any that don't have the pics. {as a side note, i like the pictures on the description page, and try to require it....see any of my posted waymarks}.

-yes, with maybe multiple lines? maybe there are different sites; a park service site and one specifically about the house.

my comments added in above text.

State / Territory: We're covered by the basic Record Waymark page, so we won't need to do any work here.

County / Borough / Parish: I'm not sure we can transition from a text box to a dropdown box. I doubt the site will permit a change, because the underlying database would need to change if we made edits. I think that's one of the reasons why we need to get this ironed out (as best we can) before we post the category for voting. I'm inclined to go with a simple text box, because there are over 3000 counties in the U.S., and entering them is way beyond my (our?) means. Additionally, the site is set up for position based on latitude and longitude, so County / Borough / Parish is really superfluous, anyway.

Date constructed: How about "period of significance"?

Photograph: I wanted to have a way to remind folks that a photograph is required, so we don't have to remind so many people. I got this idea from some of the other categories that have photograph requirements....

Just a reminder for all group officers -- the category is up for a group vote, we have a lot of officers (lots of "turf" to cover", and if we don't get 100% concurrence by the deadline, we start the process again. Please vote early (because you don't get to vote often!). Thanks....

I'm confused. I went to the peer review page, but didn't see anywhere to vote? What am I missing? :D Is it because I'm a member, and so can't vote?

Now that our category is listed for "peer review", you should be able to go to Directory -> Waymark Category Search -> Help us review new categories, and find our category listed.