Pda? Blackberry?

Morning all.

I was wondering what people are using to download and view the cache details while out on the hunt. I usually keep things pretty simple but being bit of a tree hugger (inks expensive too) I want to get away from printing these caches out. I print on both sides to save paper but would like to be able to download the cache details, maps and hints onto a PDA or something and was looking for recommendations. Something simple, not too large and durable. Not interested really in the email and cell phone unless it just comes on the units recommended.

Thanks for any advise and ideas.

Kevin

Edited by kybishop

Miragee makes a good point about reading color PDA screens in bright sunlight. I know this from experience. I use a Palm Tungsten T5 with a Bluetooth Holux GPSr and GeoNiche software. I can load files (almost) directly from the web into the Palm and navigate to the cache paperlessly. It even has an onboard hint decoder and you can enter your comments in a note text field that includes the original cache description text. I'm pretty happy with the set up except in the bright sunlight situations.

I got my son a Palm V on eBay for $20 and it works great with Cachemate! Cachemate is supposed to work with any PDA with PalmOS 3.0 or higher. I personally use a Palm Tungsten C - built in Wi-Fi for when I'm near a Wi-Fi hotspot, and built in thumb-board type keyboard. I hate writing everything on the screen.

Edited by jerrytcher

Morning all.

I was wondering what people are using to download and view the cache details while out on the hunt. I usually keep things pretty simple but being bit of a tree hugger (inks expensive too) I want to get away from printing these caches out. I print on both sides to save paper but would like to be able to download the cache details, maps and hints onto a PDA or something and was looking for recommendations. Something simple, not too large and durable. Not interested really in the email and cell phone unless it just comes on the units recommended.

Thanks for any advise and ideas.

Kevin

I use the Palm Treo 600 as my phone/PDA/internet.

If it's good enough for my buddy Jack Bauer on 24, it's good enough for me. -_-

The email package is cheaper than the Blackberry also.

I carry a Palm Tungsten E2 as my auxillary brain; don't go anywhere without it - if I can help it. -_-

I've got a premium membership, GSAK and CacheMate. I've been happy with that combination. I REALLY like having all my cache info in my hand! I also use a laptop, so I've got M$ Streets and Trips. Use it with my GPSr connected for navigation to and from caches. That's fun.

JohnTee

SHHHHHHH dont tell but I use a treo 650 (provided through dare I say - work, "Really, those are personal files"). Holds everything I need and gets the job done even for a NPM. I've used the WAP site a few times when I was really stuck - bailed me out 2x so far.

Semi paperless, almost there - not just yet.

Previously I used my Kyocera 7135 palm based smartphone. Now I am using the Treo 700W with the new ppc port of cachemate. Cachemate actually works much better on the Treo as I can import and export directly to and from .gpx files.

*edited to say ppc port, not just a WM5 port*

Edited by GeoBain

I use a Palm Vx from eBay. I use a hard case to protect it in the field. I just replaced mine since I broke it (if you put the Palm in your back pocket and then sit on a lumpy rock with a 250lb body it makes a horrible crunching noise even with a hard case) and I got a new one, including charger/sync cradle and hard case for $25 from eBay. It will do everything you need for caching and more besides.

Use either Cachemate or the Spinner/Plucker combo for caching on your Palm. I use Spinner/Plucker and like it a lot but there are a zillion folks who use Cachemate and like it a lot. Either will work for you. I'd suggest downloading them both and trying them out to see what you like best. Or just pick one and go with it.

I use a Palm E2 with GSAK and Cachemate. The great thing with GSAK is that I can make up different databases for different areas...San Francisco, Las Vegas, San Diego, etc. Makes it very easy to find info. So when I go out all I need is my Palm, GPS and backpack.

It is TOTALLY worth getting a Palm or some other PDA. NO MORE PRINTOUTS. NO MORE INK.

DO IT! You will be very happy you did.