Legend Cx Vs. 60csx Accuaracy Question

I have the GPSMap 60CSX, and it always directs me within 20 feet of a cache or closer. I purchased a Legend Cx for my daughter and family and we were both out geocaching. We only were able to search for one cache with both gps'r working, so the sample size is pretty small, but as usual, my gpsr took me right to the cache. My error was 20 feet. The legend Cx showed an error of 25 feet. it directed my daughter probably 40 feet in a different direction from the cache.

Is that just part of the variability from unit to unit?

Thanks,

geofindr.

I have the GPSMap 60CSX, and it always directs me within 20 feet of a cache or closer. I purchased a Legend Cx for my daughter and family and we were both out geocaching. We only were able to search for one cache with both gps'r working, so the sample size is pretty small, but as usual, my gpsr took me right to the cache. My error was 20 feet. The legend Cx showed an error of 25 feet. it directed my daughter probably 40 feet in a different direction from the cache.

Thanks,

geofindr.

The 60CSX has the new SIRF III chip set that improves satellite reception, and therefore accuracy. Depending on satellite visibility, the 60CSX may often have better accuracy.

Thanks,

geofindr.

The 60CSX has the new SIRF III chip set that improves satellite reception, and therefore accuracy. Depending on satellite visibility, the 60CSX may often have better accuracy.

dead on about sirf. A caching friend of mine has the LegendCx, and I've got the 60cx. Whenever we get into cover, I've got 8 sats, and occasionally waas (depending on the day, but a different issue). I've learned to trust my gps as it has routinely brought me to less than 10 foot away from the cache under cover, closer if not.

Thanks,

geofindr.

dead on about sirf. A caching friend of mine has the LegendCx, and I've got the 60cx. Whenever we get into cover, I've got 8 sats, and occasionally waas (depending on the day, but a different issue). I've learned to trust my gps as it has routinely brought me to less than 10 foot away from the cache under cover, closer if not.

All the new Garmin x series use the same chip SIRF III chip set.

Accuracy is a two way street ..... the placers accuracy .... and the finders accuracy.

In every geoclass I have instructed .... It's plus or minus 30 feet accuracy ON AVERAGE.

Do not think this tool is going to put you on top of every cache. I've done many that were 60 to 100 foot off. Get to where you feel ground zero is .... then put the GPS away and start looking. The key to this sport is to develope your looking / finding skills ..... not how accurate your GPS is.

:) ImpalaBob

All the new Garmin x series use the same chip SIRF III chip set.
This is not completely correct.

Actually the "x" means only for the new units that they contain a micro-SD card.

The SIRF technology is only in the GPSMAP-76 and -60 units with the "x", but not

in the Legend or the Vista.

In every geoclass I have instructed .... It's plus or minus 30 feet accuracy ON AVERAGE.

Do not think this tool is going to put you on top of every cache. I've done many that were 60 to 100 foot off. Get to where you feel ground zero is .... then put the GPS away and start looking. The key to this sport is to develope your looking / finding skills ..... not how accurate your GPS is.

Completely agreed!

Cheers, NZ