How Long To Review And Approve A Cache?

WV Muddy Boots

How long should it take to review and approve a cache? A buddy hid two caches (one traditional, one micro) on March 26 and both have not been approved. It appears that other caches have have been hidden and approved after these hides.

The first one is a traditional, it isnt located in any state park - is on public land on a well-traveled public trail (the Hatfield & McCoy Trail). The second is a small micro located near a local landmark. There are no reviewer notes and have followed the guidelines. How long should the process take?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Team BattleCache

The expected service goal is to provide an initial response in 72 hours. However, please bear in mind that the website downtime that everyone's experiencing also causes the reviewers to fall behind in their work. During periods when the site is running well, I concentrate on listing caches that do not have any issues. I then work through the backlog, including replying to e-mails, etc. During the work day, I do not have access to my reviewer e-mail account or some special software tools the reviewers use, so the issue is further complicated by the fact that I have to do this work during evenings and weekends when the site is slowest.

I even took a morning off from work this week to get caught up.

Both of your friend's caches have issues that I will communicate to him as soon as I can get to them.

Thanks everyone for your patience.

Well, it's three hours since my last post, during which I've worked nonstop on cache review work. While I did get through 31 cache reviews today in more than four hours of work, I still have 9 to hold over to look at tomorrow. So, ummm, nobody hide any tomorrow, mmm kay? :laughing:

I did leave a note for the owner of the caches that the OP was asking about. :D Thanks everyone for your patience.

I think Bob393 kinda hit the nail on the head. The guidelines are 72 hours, but the reviewers are volunteers. They help keep up the high quality, not to mention high volume, of our hobby. If you run into the situation again, you can e-mail your reviewer directly through the geocaching.com website. I have had an occasion where the original went out and my server, or someone else's, ate it...the reviewer never got it. One I resubmitted, done deal.

I got into geocaching in Dec. '04. A 20 mile radius from my home yielded quite a few cache listings; I would say about 100+. Since the popularity has increased, I would guess that same radius is now good for 3 times as many caches...or more - all of which had to be approved.

Like Bob393 said, "Patience is a virtue."

From what I gather fromt he posts, your reviewer is going to tackle this one a.s.a.p. Just remember, they are there to help...not be a pain! Without them, we would have a chaotic hobby with aggrevation instead of fun as the end result.

Good caching!

PS A hearty "Thank You" to all the reviewers out there!

Thanks for the kind words. It's been frustrating this weekend to review caches, what with all the server timeouts and other error messages. Each review is taking longer. So it is always nice to hear that the hours of work are appreciated.

The caches referred to in the OP have been published, as the owner wrote back with a satisfactory explanation for the legitimate concern I had identified. That is how it works. I wish it could work faster!

How long should it take to review and approve a cache? A buddy hid two caches (one traditional, one micro) on March 26 and both have not been approved. It appears that other caches have have been hidden and approved after these hides.

The first one is a traditional, it isnt located in any state park - is on public land on a well-traveled public trail (the Hatfield & McCoy Trail). The second is a small micro located near a local landmark. There are no reviewer notes and have followed the guidelines. How long should the process take?

Thanks for any advice.

Sounds to me like somebody is itching to FTF the WV DeLorme Challenge.

:(:(

Thanks for any advice.

:(:(

I'm pretty certain there are two teams/cachers qualified to log their finds now. :(

Keystone -

Thanks for the speedy assist on the caches! Always appreciate all your help with WV and caching!

;):mad:

I'm pretty certain there are two teams/cachers qualified to log their finds now. :)

Wandering Bears / WVCoalcat -

Me thinks you are right!!! :D:D:blink:;):PB):P:D:D:D

Keystone -

Thanks for the speedy assist on the caches! Always appreciate all your help with WV and caching!

:ph34r::ph34r:

I'm pretty certain there are two teams/cachers qualified to log their finds now. :ph34r:

Wandering Bears / WVCoalcat -

Me thinks you are right!!! :lol::huh::P:PB)B)B):D:D:D

Congrats :D Now if we can get the gate open for Dimple Rocks, all will be well., eh?

Edited by wvcoalcat

[

Congrats :ph34r: Now if we can get the gate open for Dimple Rocks, all will be well., eh?

AMEN to that - Dimple Rocks has been laughing and taunting us since it was posted. Thought FR75 would be opened first of April however due to the late spring, the local Forest Service thought best to keep it closed til mid April. That ok - gives us another reason to head back to finish some caches, get in some good camping. This area has some fantastic caches!!!