Not A New Problem!

Munkeh

I agree with the idea of giving premium members the bandwidth at peak times, or maybe go one better and stop the freeloaders completely! Just giving a 1 month free trial then you pay.

One problem with this. On the page explaining the premium memberships it also states it would not be fair to force people to pay to go geocaching. It would also discourage kids without incomes (like me) fromt eh sport and it would also promote the use of other sites that would remain completely free.

nvm, its nto back working. Found a new problem, but its not urgent. Google Earth seems to be down (porobably cuz it can get information since gc.com is down). Thanks again for trying ur hardest

I have discovered a unicode error, but Google Earth KML files do seem to be running ok. Choose Ignore if the error comes up and you'll get it working for the most part. I'll check the unicode issues after I work on these more pressing issues.

I must be lucky I've had two outages in the last four week's usage - but today was fine 08.00 hrs GMT but is pants at 22.00hrs GMT.

Luckily this is a two way activity - get out there guys and set up new caches in your spare time!!

Server downtime is a symptom of growing participation (I think) so the signs may be good on the growth front but with continued failure new users just won't bother to get involved.

Server separation is a good idea - there are too many functions running on the same site - far better to set up a separate server just for downloading cache information. We also have the luxury of uploading very large images this is a massive killer on any system bandwidth - maybe just maybe - users can help out by not uploading images for a while.

Pete

I agree. I think Jeremy SHOULD refund the whiners a percentage equal to the actual down time over say the past year. What would that equal? $5 maybe? Of course that would mean they are no longer premium members. Then make the entire site MO when the load levels go up. I've seen that on lots of other "free" sites.

Another thing...yeah, I think they should either (1) refund money, or (2) extend membership dates by the equal number of days. My newspaper does that... if I get missed a day, I get a day added to the end of my current subscription. Cable companies do that. Anything with a subscription fee SHOULD do that. Either that, or expect a bunch of "whiners" to complain about it.

I'm sorry, but I feel that the fee I pay entitles me to good service. I just got my "immediate notification" of two new caches in my area. The FTF hit them two days ago. Some "immediate notification", hmmm?

I agree with everyone coughing up the $30 per year to pay for the service, too. With the additional income, GC should be able to provide the same service as other sites that get hit a lot more often each day that this one does.

I have been a geek for many years. When the site goes down, I figure, "yup, it's a computer" and go on to something else until the site is up again.

(flame-attractant coment deleted) it's par for the course.

As they say: "Now you know why they call it a CURSOR!" :blink:

Edited by Sparrowhawk
I have been a geek for many years. When the site goes down, I figure, "yup, it's a computer" and go on to something else until the site is up again.

I assume it's on a windows system... if that is true, it kinda explains everything, and REALLY makes it par for the course.

As they say: "Now you know why they call it a CURSOR!" :blink:

How long did it take you dig up this old thread that no longer applies just to slam MS Windows? What site to you operate? What operating system have you written.

BTW: "Par for the course" is a very good score.