Should I Post This Cache?

stp1stp

I really want to post this cache. It’s a really cool trail that leads to a creek that ends at a 10 to 15 foot waterfall/cave. I already put the cache in a hollow base tree to the right of the cave. It’s about 1 mile hike from where you park your vehicle. Lots of trees down from a bad wind storm but still easy to get around them and you will have to walk some directly in the creek. I wrote down the coordinates for the cave entrance, where I entered the creek, and where you park your vehicle. When I got home I compared the coordinates with Street Atlas USA 2006. The parking coordinates seem to be off. That is the only one that I can look at the map and know for sure where I was. What I got when I parked was 35° 47.862N, 087° 20.549W but looking at Street Atlas USA 2006 I think I parked at 35° 47.883N, 87° 20.572W. My question is should I post this. I really want to. There isn’t enough cache in Hickman County TN and I don’t have time to go back. I think my “old” GPS will get the same results. I will give detailed direction and maybe the first person there will be nice enough to tell me if they are right. Anyways thanks for everyone’s time.

The two sets of coordinates are 172 feet apart. Probably close enough for finding the parking area. Bear in mind that mapping tools are not always precise. With good satellite reception, readings in the field don't lie.

That being said, I share the concern about being able to revisit your cache. If people complain about bad coordinates, part of the cache owner's responsibility is to return to the site under better conditions and take more readings.

Since you haven't hidden a cache before, it's impossible to assess your track record for getting good coordinates. Some new hiders are dead-on accurate. And with some experienced hiders, I *swear* that they go to the cache site, turn on the GPS, hit "mark" the minute that they lock on four satellites, and then leave. :laughing:

I have no problem going back out there. Just have to work for 7 straight days. I will go back my next day off. I might try to get out there early tomorrow before work but if I get the same coordinates should I go with them? I would hate to piss somebody off with bad coordinates.

P.S. Forget I ever said anything about not able to get out there. I just have to work some overtime due to some employees quitting. It’s only 15 minutes from my house and if there is ever a problem with the cache I will fix it.

I know about 4 caves around Hickman County that most people don’t know about. I will be putting cache at each of these and many more. You don’t have to worry about me. I just heard about geocaching about a week ago and was instantly fascinated. I wish I can go back and rephrase what I said if I just knew it would send people on tilt.

Your coords are probably fine. Personally, I like to go backe a week after I get coords to double check the coords before I submit them to the approver. Still, I've gotten coords that are dead-on and up to 80 feet off using this method. Some people average coords as I do (take 10 readings, drop the 2 most extreme readings and average the rest).

Also, your parking coords aren't as important as the cache coords. They'll get the idea if they're 80 feet off. As long as the cache coords are dead-on, you'll be fine.

I have ten hides that get found often. I've never used mapping and my coords have generally been on. One has been 40 feet off and the FTF gave me better coords which I ended up posting.

Hope this helps. BTW, people who say they "can't get back soon" generally leave caches unattended and/or disabled for MONTHS at a time. I think the previous posters may have thought that;s what you meant. A week is no biggie.

BTW, when I put your parking coordinates into Topozone, it shows the coords to be on the west side of Tottys Bend Bridge, very slightly to the west and south of it at a hairpin turn in Tottys Bend Road.

Rand McNally and Mapquest show the coords at the same hairpin curve.

Is that the spot?

Edited by briansnat

When you take coordinates for a new cache, leave your GPS on for at least 15 minutes, Most GPSr sold now have WAAS which requires about 15 minutes to build an almanac. IF you has WAAS turned off, turn it back on. WHen I see cachers post that they have taken several readings and picked an average it seems those are the caches that have been the least accurate. THe GPS will do a better job af averaging coordinates.

Well, I went back and got some more coordinates. They are close to the original so I will go with it. Whoever goes out there is really going to enjoy it.

I like your enthusiasm and your willingness to share your knowledge of hidden places. You are doing it right!

If I was in your area I'd definitely be out there looking for your caches! I have a feeling that once you get started you are going to have some of the best caches in the area...

Edited by hukilaulau

go ahead and post it. maps can be wrong, and the parking coordinated don't need to be perfect. However, if I were you, I'd average the waypoint on you GPS by either using the average function (if you have it) or takig oordinates, leaving the site, coming back, taking coordinates, and repeating three to six times (do more if you like. the result will be more accurate). Take all this data and then average it (add all coordinates together and then divide by the number of coordinates takem). But go ahead and post the cache. It shouldn't be a problem.