3 Inch Resolution Google Earth Imagery For Las Vegas

Anyone notice the stratosphere tower has a shadow but no tower???

N36° 8'50.52" W115° 9'18.62"

weird... Am I"m missing something or did google erase the tower for security purposes?

Go to N36 08 42.01 W115 10 51.03 in Google Earth. Zoom in real close. I think those are kids riding scooters or skateboards. This is 3" resolution imagery from March 2006. Amazing, huh? Notice the difference in resolution of the imagery, left side vs. right. Link to Google Earth message board announcement.

Edited by kb9nvh

It's there. It's the round thing.

Well, you can see a small part of the top, but most of it is missing (the way they merged successive pictures (from different perspective) caused the surrounding building to overlay the tower. Look for (the missing) rides on the top of the tower.

OK, yeah, they cut off the top because it blended better with the surrouding photos I guess..

Well, you can see a small part of the top, but most of it is missing (the way they merged successive pictures (from different perspective) caused the surrounding building to overlay the tower. Look for (the missing) rides on the top of the tower.

I don't knwo what you;re talking about. It's all there. Look at this image:

strattower.jpg

And then comapre it to the aerial shot. It's all there. You can see the roller coaster on the aerial.

stratophere.jpg

I dont see any red coaster in a circle sorry, I just cant see it?

Here's the base which is what we see in the google shot:

strat2.jpg

I don't knwo what you;re talking about. It's all there. Look at this image:

And then comapre it to the aerial shot. It's all there. You can see the roller coaster on the aerial.

Edited by kb9nvh

Check the image below, and look at the spot where the tower should have been, and you will see a vertical line, showing Cut-n-Paste, and because of this editing, there is NO TOWER Shown, except where 3D-Buildings is turned ON.

Las_Vegas_stratosphere_tower.jpg

Image from above POST: <Check the vertical cut-n-paste line on the left edge of the street, to the right.

stratophere.jpg
Edited by GOT GPS?

Check the image below, and look at the spot where the tower should have been, and you will see a vertical line, showing Cut-n-Paste, and because of this editing, there is NO TOWER Shown, except where 3D-Buildings is turned ON.

I didn't notice the vertical line before. I guess they must have wanted to show roads more than buildings, and intentionally got rid of it. It's a bummer though, I'd love to see the ST from the top.

Great images kb9nvh!

I've filed a bug report with them. Let's see when (if?) they will correct it.

I have examined the area quite a bit, and found a bunch of cut-n-paste lines, so I don't know how much fixing can be done, but I hope they can fix this location, because this tower is an important landmark.

Now thats a weird image!! all those buildings were taken from a different viewpoint and they had to glue them together somehow..

I do hope they fix the tower as I would love to see it. It was OK in the last set of images that google had up (before the 3" resolution ones).

Looks like the intersection of several aerial piccies - just happens to co-incide with the tower - shame but it's bound to happen. There's a zone of white space at an angle right across the tower - the only part of Las Vegas not actually built on <_<

That zone of white space is actually the only Piece of a tower leg that is visible. Look that the ground views of the tower and you can see how it is built on three legs...that white thing is one of them..

Looks like the intersection of several aerial piccies - just happens to co-incide with the tower - shame but it's bound to happen. There's a zone of white space at an angle right across the tower - the only part of Las Vegas not actually built on <_<

That zone of white space is actually the only Piece of a tower leg that is visible. Look that the ground views of the tower and you can see how it is built on three legs...that white thing is one of them..

Looks like the intersection of several aerial piccies - just happens to co-incide with the tower - shame but it's bound to happen. There's a zone of white space at an angle right across the tower - the only part of Las Vegas not actually built on :laughing:

Yep, thats an after effect of merging aerial photography. If you look at downtown Dallas, there are quite a few places where that happens.

quote name='freejam' date='Apr 2 2006, 10:29 AM' post='2130787']

kb9nvh - try blowing up the image - IMHO I doubt very much it's a structural column its just floating up at roof level

pete

Well, there's lots in that pic that needs explaining but I can talk myself into beliveing that the two white things in the google photgraph are the structural legs of the tower...see my arrows. I could be wrong so I think we can at least agree that the picture doesn't do the tower justice (and I cant see the rides!!). :-)

Todd

strat3.jpg

[