Special Donation From Trimble With Groundspeak Permission

MissJenn

Trimble is donating 10 integrated GPS phone/software packages to CITO teams in the US.

They are also making its Adventure Planner trip planning and mapping software available to geocachers free for 90 days.

Follow the link here to find out more: http://www.cacheintrashout.org/

trimbleoutdoors-sm.gif

We thank Trimble for being the CITO sponsor for 2005 and 2006.

Edited by MissJenn

Just sent in my request to Trimble. B)

In the chance we get one for the event.......... any suggestions on just what to do with it?

Are people having them out for cachers to "test drive" or giving them away as a door prize or FTF prize?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

CAESAR657

Not sure if these can be given away as door prizes...

According to the fine print on Trimbles site:

Prizes:

Ten (10) winners will receive a package each that includes a mobile phone with Trimble Outdoors GPS navigation software, Trimble Adventure Planner trip planning and mapping software, and various accessories. Full information is available at the REI web site. Trimble reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. No transfer, change, or cash substitution of the prize is permitted. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded. Other restrictions may apply. Approximate retail value of the prizes are $230. Entries and prizes are nontransferable. No substitutions are allowed. The winners assume sole responsibility for all applicable taxes.

I entered my CITO event in this contest, but that sounds like if *I* win *I* have to keep the phone. (Unless I'm interpreting the above text incorrectly - IANAL). Does that mean that anyone attending a CITO event can enter, or just those hosting one can enter, or what?

And no, I'm not angling for a free phone for myself here, I'd love to be able to give one away as a door prize at my event. I'm just not sure that's allowed, based on the above text. Can anyone clarify?

Edited by DocDiTTo

Not sure if these can be given away as door prizes...

According to the fine print on Trimbles site:

Prizes:

Ten (10) winners will receive a package each that includes a mobile phone with Trimble Outdoors GPS navigation software, Trimble Adventure Planner trip planning and mapping software, and various accessories. Full information is available at the REI web site. Trimble reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. No transfer, change, or cash substitution of the prize is permitted. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded. Other restrictions may apply. Approximate retail value of the prizes are $230. Entries and prizes are nontransferable. No substitutions are allowed. The winners assume sole responsibility for all applicable taxes.

I entered my CITO even in this contest, but that sounds like if *I* win *I* have to keep the phone. (Unless I'm interpreting the above text incorrectly - IANAL). Does that mean that anyone attending a CITO even can enter, or just those hosting one can enter, or what?

And no, I'm not angling for a free phone for myself here, I'd love to be able to give one away as a door prize at my event. I'm just not sure that's allowed, based on the above text. Can anyone clarify?

I work for Trimble - these GPS phones are intended as a give away during the CITO event. We hope that the event organizers apply to get a free phone as a way to enhance and encourage participation in their local CITO event. Clearly our language surrounding the rules is unclear and we'll fix that promptly.

Thanks and happy CITO day! :ph34r:

I work for Trimble - these GPS phones are intended as a give away during the CITO event. We hope that the event organizers apply to get a free phone as a way to enhance and encourage participation in their local CITO event. Clearly our language surrounding the rules is unclear and we'll fix that promptly.

Thanks and happy CITO day! :(

Thanks for clearing that up! Now all I gotta do is keep my fingers crossed.... maybe one of the attendees at my event will be one of the 10 lucky people. :ph34r:

DocDiTTo - be sure your event organizer contacts us by email at citopackage@trimbleoutdoors.com . Give us the details of the event (when, where, goals, number of participants expected, etc.) If the event is in the spirit of CITO day your chances are good! We've already shipped some phones out to some great CITO events that are going on this month and we have more ready to go! :unsure:

DocDiTTo - be sure your event organizer contacts us by email at citopackage@trimbleoutdoors.com . Give us the details of the event (when, where, goals, number of participants expected, etc.) If the event is in the spirit of CITO day your chances are good! We've already shipped some phones out to some great CITO events that are going on this month and we have more ready to go! :unsure:

I'm the event organizer (GCRM5E). I sent an email the other day with the information requested on the web site, however I didn't go into details because it sounded like the email was only to be a "brief description". Maybe I should have given more information? Should I send another email, or will the first one suffice? I wasn't sure how the winners of the CITO package would be chosen, whether at random or by judging of the details of the event itself.

from the weekly cache notification:

Due to high demand, Trimble - Groundspeak's co-sponsor of the CITO Day - has

increased the number of GPS phone / software packages donated to CITO teams in

the US from 10 to 15. As a CITO event organizer or team leader, you could offer

one as an award to encourage event participation. Plus, Trimble is offering

free use of its trip planning and mapping software to anyone in the geocaching

community. Visit http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/cito to learn more. To find out

how you can get involved in the cleanup of your local area, visit

http://www.cacheintrashout.org.

WOW!! How cool! <_<

I just found out about this yesterday so in my hast I sent off an e-mail to them. I had a CITO event scheduled for Earth Day put because of the lack of volunteers I had to push it back to the 29th, maybe this offer will draw them in!! I just wish I would have found out about this earlier so I could have really put some thought into my message.

Our upcoming CITO event will be our 4th event in the last year , so far we've worked with the National Forest Service and California Department of Transportation.

<_< I have my trash picker-uppers crossed! :ph34r:

PassingWind

e285f57d-498c-4d54-bd77-cc9eac730024.jpg

The Great 78 CITO Attempt 1.5 - NOT Earth Day

We won! We just got an email this morning stating that we have been one of the chosen ones to get the GPS phone!!! Woohoo!

COOL! Congrats

Just to clarify, I thought it stated that "Preference will be given to CITO event organizers and team leaders rather than individuals" and that all entrants must be "Representatives of a team or an organization with three or more members".

Hope this will help clarify...

The account holder for Pokagon Nature Center is actually a member of our team (who just happens to work at the nature center, is in charge of all that state parks geocaching permits, activities, etc. hence the account) The event is being hosted by us..."The Herd" with help from the Pokagon Nature Center, as they are donating the shelter we will use as homebase, the garbage bags, and other things. There are 6 members in our team total, us and our 4 kids. It was our team that won the Trimble Contest.

Edited by The Herd

The Geocachers of Northeastern Illinois (GONIL) also won!

The full list of winners is posted HERE

The winners of the 20 GPS phone/software packages are (in no particular order):

Team the ARK-MO GEOCACHERS

GCTBRJ "Kent's Upper Mill Creek CITO Event"

CITO team in Shelby Farms, Geocachers of West Tennessee

CITO team is Boy Scout Troop 932 in Post Falls, ID

Nevada Geocaching Association

River Valley Geocachers, KY

Bloomer Middle School GeoExplorers Club

Cub Scout Pack 137 Den 4 and their family members, OH

Geocachers of Northeastern Illinois (GONIL)

Springtime for CITO in New Orleans

Northern New York Geocachers

Mance Park Middle School, TX

Boy scout troop in Oklahoma City

South Carolina Piedmont Cachers

Nebraskache

Emerald Valley Cachers, OR

Conestoga Trail / Wind Cave CITO event (Waypoint GCRM5E on geocaching.com)

South Carolina the state geocaching assoication

Second annual geocache challenge event to benefit ReadWes

San Diego County Geocachers

NNYGeo won one of the phones to give away at one of our upcoming CITO events...

so...who should I allow to be in the drawing?

just visitors from out of our area

members of our local organization

my wife and son (whose caching team will be attending both events)

or everyone...including me

Jamie - NFA

I was wondering the same thing. We had our CITO this past weekend, and we had 14 people other than the 2 members of our team. One group was a family of 5, all members of their caching team, including 3 kids 8 - 12.

My thinking is that ANYONE who participated in the cleanup (including the kids) should be entered into the drawing. But I thought perhaps we should just enter the team's name (this particular team's name 5 times) instead of the individuals' names. I'd hate to have a kid win it, just for the problems it could possibly cause with the other kids and/or whether or not the parents want an 8 yr. old to own the thing. But I think in all fairness the team should be eligible 5 times because the kids DID work. We also had a few 2-man teams, one of which was a mother-son team.

We did have 2 drawings for CITO coins after the event, and everyone's name was entered individually.

And I should clarify, my daughter and I were not entered into the coin drawing and I don't think we should be entered into the phone drawing because we hosted the event.

Any thoughts on this?

First of all, THANK YOU TRIMBLE!!! One of the attendees at my CITO event will be walking home with a new GPS Cell phone!! :D

As far as who is eligible, I'm throwing all the names in a hat (excluding me and my wife) and we'll pick a person at random. If it's a kid, their parents can handle the prize any way they see fit. Everyone is helping with the cleanup, therefore everyone is eligible, as far as I'm concerned.

I also bought some CITO Geocoins and T-Shirts to give away as well, so there will be at least 10 winners. I'll make sure there are no "double" winners for the shirts and the coins, but everyone's name goes back into the hat for the phone, whether they won another prize or not. That way everyone has a shot.

We are raffling off coins at our event...as far as how we will give out the phone package...we are only allowing one entry per team so that all teams have equal chances to win. It wouldn't be fair of a team with 6 members to get 6 entries while a team with only 1 would only get 1 entry!

We got the great news today that River Valley Geocachers were also winners of one of the Phones.

This is great and I want to thank Tremble Outdoors for offering such wonderful prizes.

We also debated over who should be included in a chance to win the Phone. At our past events everyone that attends and gets their name in the hat is eligible for the prize. This has always included the kids but I was unsure about including them this time. I was amused at my conversation with Mikeatnight and Fairy Flirt - we all were trying to take ourselves out of the mix because, I was hosting, Mike requested and got the phone and my wife has not attended the past 2 CITOs in March and December and she felt it was unfair that she was warm while we were freezing our buns off :) .

So we decided that as in the past everyone that attends and participates in the CITO will get their name in the hat and have a chance to win.

It is an interesting debate, in competitions teams with multiple members and multiple GPS units have an advantage over the single attendees and folks with young kids, we could only allow one entry per team :D , that would sure get them back :):):)

Should I get two entries - one as the host and one as an attendee :)

Oh, That is a whole different debate :D

GEO.JOE

We've decided to handle it as we did the drawings for the coins - everyone who participated is eligible, with the exception of the host team (me and my daughter).

Some teams may have a better chance of winning because they brought more participants, but they brought more participants!

Wasn't that the point of the donation, to encourage participation?

The full list of winners is posted HERE

QUOTE(Trimble's website (linked above))

The winners of the 20 GPS phone/software packages are (in no particular order):

Team the ARK-MO GEOCACHERS

GCTBRJ "Kent's Upper Mill Creek CITO Event"

CITO team in Shelby Farms, Geocachers of West Tennessee

CITO team is Boy Scout Troop 932 in Post Falls, ID

Nevada Geocaching Association

River Valley Geocachers, KY

Bloomer Middle School GeoExplorers Club

Cub Scout Pack 137 Den 4 and their family members, OH

Geocachers of Northeastern Illinois (GONIL)

Springtime for CITO in New Orleans

Northern New York Geocachers

Mance Park Middle School, TX

Boy scout troop in Oklahoma City

South Carolina Piedmont Cachers

Nebraskache

Emerald Valley Cachers, OR

Conestoga Trail / Wind Cave CITO event (Waypoint GCRM5E on geocaching.com)

South Carolina the state geocaching assoication

Second annual geocache challenge event to benefit ReadWes

San Diego County Geocachers

That's odd, we weren't included in the list!?

These are the 2 e-mails we got:

Congratulations, your CITO event has been selected as one of the winners for the Trimble Outdoors GPS phone/software packages. I am emailing you to confirm your Team and Event names, as well as your mailing address.

Please reply ASAP.

Jeffery ______ (edited)

Channel Manager

Trimble Outdoors

Hello again everyone.

I just wanted to let each of you know a phone went out today UPS with a 2 day delivery. If you do not receive your Trimble Outdoors GPS phone by Wednesday afternoon please send me an email asap and we can track the shipment.

Thank you again and happy Geocaching!

Jeff

Edited to remove the gentleman's full name.

Edited by Henki

We contacted Trimble and they informed us that we should have gotten our package today. They asked us to contact them again if we didn't have it. So far, no phone...so looks like a new email is in the works. They also told us they would be updating the list to include our names sometime today, and that they accidentaly forgot to include us.

Glad to hear it!

We contacted Trimble and they informed us that we should have gotten our package today. They asked us to contact them again if we didn't have it. So far, no phone...so looks like a new email is in the works. They also told us they would be updating the list to include our names sometime today, and that they accidentaly forgot to include us.

Pokagon, sorry about the oversight! You're now on the official list. We can't count either....looks like there were 21 winners (not 20) for a great cause. :laughing:

CITO Trimble GPS Phone Winner's List

We got our phone today! Mikeatnight is charging it up so the winner will be able to play with it when they win it.

Thanks Trimble

GEO.JOE

GEO.JOE, I'm afraid that you'll have to do more than charge the GPS phone for it to be ready. You'll need to activate it with the carrier (Boost Mobile is the carrier and they are owned by Sprint-Nextel. The phone works on the Nextel nationwide network) and you'll need to add the $20 pre-paid minutes on the card in the phone box to the phone. There are instructions to activate the phone on the CD in the box. You'll need to pick a phone number as part of the process so hopefully the phone number lines up with what the winner would want (area code etc.). After activating the phone with the carrier it might take up to 24 hours for Nextel to turn on the data connection - so do this a day ahead of the event. Once the data connection is hot you'll need to launch the Trimble Outdoors GPS application on the phone and activate it (it will ask you to enter your phone number). You'll also need to register on the Trimble Outdoors web site to be able to use the new geocaching.com "Send To Phone" feature. Once this process is complete you are ready to find caches or download topo, street, or aerial maps on demand from the phone. If you get stuck following the steps on the CD give us (Trimble Outdoors) a call at 1-800-773-5996. We're there Monday through Friday from 7am EST to 10pm EST and on Saturday from 8am EST to 5pm EST.

Have a great event! :D

We got our phone today! Mikeatnight is charging it up so the winner will be able to play with it when they win it.

Thanks Trimble

GEO.JOE

GEO.JOE, I'm afraid that you'll have to do more than charge the GPS phone for it to be ready. You'll need to activate it with the carrier (Boost Mobile is the carrier and they are owned by Sprint-Nextel. The phone works on the Nextel nationwide network) and you'll need to add the $20 pre-paid minutes on the card in the phone box to the phone. There are instructions to activate the phone on the CD in the box. You'll need to pick a phone number as part of the process so hopefully the phone number lines up with what the winner would want (area code etc.). After activating the phone with the carrier it might take up to 24 hours for Nextel to turn on the data connection - so do this a day ahead of the event. Once the data connection is hot you'll need to launch the Trimble Outdoors GPS application on the phone and activate it (it will ask you to enter your phone number). You'll also need to register on the Trimble Outdoors web site to be able to use the new geocaching.com "Send To Phone" feature. Once this process is complete you are ready to find caches or download topo, street, or aerial maps on demand from the phone. If you get stuck following the steps on the CD give us (Trimble Outdoors) a call at 1-800-773-5996. We're there Monday through Friday from 7am EST to 10pm EST and on Saturday from 8am EST to 5pm EST.

Have a great event! :rolleyes:

Thanks for that Information. There is no cell coverage at the CITO Event so I guess the winner will have to wait to play with it.

I bet they will feel like one of those dogs that the owners place a dog biscuit on their nose and makes them wait to eat it. :unsure:

As the ARK-MO Founder I was thrilled to have a chance at one of these phones.

I entered and won WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Our Earth Week went very well.

Not to many got involved but we got it done anyway.

Our 2.2 miles of adopt a Highway has been cleaned once again.

We all decided to us the phone for the group and our upcoming events and planners.

Coverage is not to good here in this neck of the woods but we will still be using it as a group.

Just thought I would post a little something about our efforts.

All of it counts no matter how big or how small.

We have all made a big difference in the past few years.

Keep up the good work ya'll.