30 Cal Ammo Cans?

markp99

I'm looking to buy a few 30 Cal ammo cans in order to set up a few caches in my area. I think 3-4 should suffice initially.

I don't have any army surplus stores in my area any more, so that option is out.

I see lots of eBay sellers willing to part with them, but shipping usually exceeds the cost of the containers and puts the total cost outside of my expected price range.

Are there any known sources for these can offering a good price and reasonable shipping?

I'm looking to buy a few 30 Cal ammo cans in order to set up a few caches in my area. I think 3-4 should suffice initially.

I don't have any army surplus stores in my area any more, so that option is out.

I see lots of eBay sellers willing to part with them, but shipping usually exceeds the cost of the containers and puts the total cost outside of my expected price range.

Are there any known sources for these can offering a good price and reasonable shipping?

You can get six cans for $19.99 (plus shipping) from Cabela's. Cheaperthandirt used to have them, but they don't seem to have carried them lately (they do still have the .50-cal ones, but their price on those has almost doubled in the last year or so.)

Cabela's. Cheaperthandirt.

Funny! These are the same two places a co-worked directed me.

The 6-cans for $20, plus $13 shipping (includes $6 surcharge) is not too bad. 6 is more than I planned for (meaning I need to store the extra cans B)).

I'm gonna keep on looking.

Edited by markp99

Here's another option: $4.25 per can at GeoGearStore, so you cab get exactly how many you want. I don't know what their shipping charges are like.

t_h_c,

Thanks for the link. Price looks pretty good in small qty's, but if you want 6, better to go with Cabella's @ $33.

Shipping to NH depends on Qty:

Qty 1 = $4.25 + $6.63 = $10.48

Qty 2 = $8.50 + $8.75 = $17.25

Qty 3 = $12.75 + $10.33 = $23.08

Qty 4 = $17.00 + $11.59 = $28.59

Qty 5 = $21.25 + $12.63 = $33.88

Qty 6 =$25.50 + $13.52 = $39.02

Excellent idea!

Let's see, that would be:

42 27'18" N

77 03'70" W

This store is not listed in Mapsend direct route. Bummer. Guess I'll need to use MapQuest and not my eXplorist to find it! B)

OK, using the 488 mainst address, I see that it is 29mi from my location (point to point). An easy drive. I'll give them a call in the morning to check their inventory.

Edited by markp99

Melrose Army Navy was out of them, but found a bunch at "The Barracks" in Salem, NH.

My eXplorist helped me find the place ~30 miles from home. <_<

Price was $4.95. I grabbed 4. I picked the best from a lot of like 15 boxes. They were in good shape, with a few tiny rust spots on the exterior. Seals and interior were like new.