Scott-n8zus's Geocoin Selling Advice?

Scott-N8ZUS

Hi-Yah Gang!

I have some Questions for you all!

I am having a Bugger of a time selling these Geocoins over at the GeoCoin Store, and will have to pay for them eventually out of my pocket!

So will I get a better response if I lower the Price, and the Shipping?

I know that this is just a Ordinary GeoCoin. Nothing snazzy! But is GC.com trakable with it's own Icon! I know Oooo!

So If I opened it up here for $7.00 each, and for $1.50 for shipping or make some other adjustments after I see how much I need to cover by tab at the GeoCoin Store would I get some taker's?

Please let me know, and I'll get it set up the way other People has done here selling their Geocoins!

Many Thanks!

Scott-N8ZUS!

Edited by Scott-N8ZUS

Hi-Yah Gang!

...I am having a Bugger of a time selling these Geocoins, and will have to pay for them eventually out of my pocket!

I don't mean this to be overly sarcastic, but what's wrong with paying for your coins with your money?

Some feel that this is the way it should be (myself included).

As far as anything helpful:

As mentioned in another thread, I think it's just that things have cooled off. People aren't buying every coin (and have really cut back on personal coins) so I don't think it's anything particular with your coin.

Come to think of it - that may not be very helpful but it may give some insight into what's going on.

Well yeah I'm going to have to Pay for them Out of my own Pocket!

I'm not trying to make a profit here!

I'm trying to cover some of the costs. Like the other people here selling their Geocoins!

I'm just wondering if selling them for less than the GeoCoin Store.

Would spark any more of a interest to you all Here!

Thanks!

Scott

Edited by Scott-N8ZUS

I'm personally am not buying "sold" personal geocoins, but prefer to trade.

Those of us that have paid for our own geocoins know how much they cost to make and the profit that people are making on them is getting out of control.

Yes $7.00 is better, however you cannot say you are not making profit as it costs around $2500 for 500 trackable coins ( $5.00 each).

Edited by Prairiepartners

Why not just sell them at your "actual cost"? Wouldn't that be around $3? Or, better yet, why not just "trade" for another $3 (at cost) coin. You would be breaking even, plus actually saving money in the long run, since you are not financing someone else's "Personal Coin".

I had mine made because I love collecting the "Personalized" Coins out there. I happen to value a personal item much more if I actually have an interaction with the owner, albiet thru emails and the US Postal Service. I'm not gonna whine about the paint not being perfect and there's a scratch, etc. if I don't have to shell out 2 to 3 times the actual cost of the coin.

I'm personally am not buying "sold" personal geocoins, but prefer to trade.

Those of us that have paid for our own geocoins know how much they cost to make and the profit that people are making on them is getting out of control.

Yes $7.00 is better, however you cannot say you are not making profit as it costs around $2500 for 500 trackable coins ( $5.00 each).

Not to mention, even folks here that preach the No selling/Only trading issue are still making a profit off of their coins. After a trade with them, alot of the traded for coins end up for auction from these same folks. A profit is a profit even if you go about it a different way.

Well I'm not seeking a profit!

Just to pay off the "BAR TAB" LOL! From the GeoCoin Store if I have too!

If I had Known that the Selling of GeoCoins where to go in the HOLE I would have just Paid the $300.00 bucks to get a Generic "NON" Trackable Numbered GeoCoin just to trade with you FOLKS!

SO Thanks for all the Input! I'll cut my losses, and Get the GeoCoins out to the People I have already Promised trades too!

Also If you see one on E-Bay! Don't Buy IT! I will be more than Happy to trade you for one! As I also do have Feelings about Selling Personal one's on E-BAY!

SO Thanks!

Scott

There are a lot of coins for sale right now -- not just those that are on the coin store. There seems to be a coin for just about everything these days. I think that may have to do with your coin not moving as fast as you would like. Collectors cannot afford to buy everyone so they are being selective on their purchases. Did you try putting it on cointracking.com (you can put in the description how to purchase it from the coinstore)?

....Anthus

Hi-Yah Gang!

I have some Questions for you all!

I am having a Bugger of a time selling these Geocoins over at the GeoCoin Store, and will have to pay for them eventually out of my pocket!

I know that this is just a Ordinary GeoCoin. Nothing snazzy! But is GC.com trakable with it's own Icon! I know Oooo!

So If I opened it up here for $7.00 each, and for $1.50 for shipping or make some other adjustments after I see how much I need to cover by tab at the GeoCoin Store would I get some taker's?

Please let me know, and I'll get it set up the way other People has done here selling their Geocoins!

Many Thanks!

Scott-N8ZUS!

Hi Scott.

I don't know how others think about this, but I'll want a refund of $.50 for the coins I already payed for!

Just kidding Scott. We weren't buying any personal coins at all, but because we met you and it is an amateur radio theam, we ordered 2 I think. I think most people that make the personal coins, are in the mind to trade for other personal coins, not to make money on them.

Do you know when they will ship?

Good luck

Harry

Yes I have Listed a Edition over at cointracking.com with the details of the Sale at the GeoCoin Store.

I agree too!

If I had known!

To much supply of many different GeoCoins to whats out there or "Demand"!

I would of just went with the smaller package!

Or two different metals to offer!

But thats just the way it goes!

I'm not sure when they are to ship!

Also Thanks, Harry!

Just keep checking back with the GeoCoin Store they should announce when they will ship.

Just trying to look at this whole thing Positive People!

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by Scott-N8ZUS

I think its just that there are a LOT of coins out there right now, many of them personal. I can hardly keep up with it all these days. I know there is just no way for a person (save just a very few folks) to collect them all, or even trade for them all. People are just gonna buy what they want to buy I guess.

I wouldn't pull up stakes at the store just yet, your geocoin really hasn't been up there too long.

Now, I won't pretend to be an expert here, but I do wonder if some of the reason your particular coin isn't selling so well is that it is so personal.

One side has your license plate w/ ham callsign, and the other your family crest. For people who know you well and want your coins, I'm guessing they will be trading with you for them. For people who don't know you at all, I'm guessing they wouldn't have any interest in a coin that is so personal. Especially since it doesn't have anything "cute" (ever notice how many coins have an animal on one side for instance?), nor anything "cool" or humorous, nor a caching-specific or nature scene (lots of these on other coins too) on it.

So while I do think there is a glut of personal coins on the market that is slowing sales of all personal coins, I think your coin in particular might be moving slowly due to its extremely personal nature -- since your market for coin buyers is largely going to be people who know you by caching name & reputation, but not personally such that they'd arrange a trade with you instead.

I think patience is a good peice of advice. I'm very paranoid about the thought of selling my coins now. Since people have become so selective. I've paid for my coins upfront and will not be selling or trading until I have them in hand. I was very turned off by the whole Wyoming coin process along with a couple others that I won't name.

Hopefully most of mine will sell, I won't be making a profit as the price will be fair enough to cover the coin, postage and the envelope. I plan to keep quite a few of mine for trades in the future and to release for travel etc.

Time will only tell. I expect that I should see my sample coin soon then I look forward to working with folks on the sale of it.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Jen

That's what I was hopeing. That's the point Kelly@9 making... personal coins work when they have something that a random person can appreciate. I'm new to coin collecting and I mainly buy area or theme coins, but I have purchased or pre-ordered a few personals as long as the feel of the coin is unique yet easily appreciated by the average joe. If I knew you Scott, I would purchase one of yours, that's not to say I wouldn't trade for your coin, but at moment, there are several coins I would like to buy.

I think a lot of people up until just a few weeks ago were jumping through hoops to get one of each coin that had a unique icon. Then Groundspeak changed the rules to enable lots of 500 to have a unique icon and that created a lot more coins to chase. Then some coin companies advertised that they would mint and sell people's coins at no cost to the cacher and the cacher would get some free coins and a share of the profits to boot. That seemed to really increase the number of coins. Then the odd coin would pop up here or there that wouldn't even be available to the public. The net result was that it became increasingly apparent that it's not a reasonable goal to get a complete set of coin icons so I think a lot of people stopped trying. They only buy an occasional coin that's meaningful to them. It's going to be interesting to see how far The Geocoin Store backs up with these one-a-day sales it has scheduled over the next week.

I don't think the coin is all that bad in style. However the sample coin in the picture makes the coin look bad. I don't like Antique finish on most coins. The antique if not wiped off (as shown on your coin proof) makes it look bad. The mint that the geocoinstore uses have done some bad coins and I know that some people will not but from the for that reason. Sorry that I can not offer you help. The market has gone soft and people don't have the money as they once did or because there is so many coins coming out we just don't have the money for all of them and must cut back or trade. Many points have been brought up and most if not all will factor in on how a coin will sell.

Richard of the GeoCrickets

P.S. I talked with a coin company the other day and they said that they are working on 100+ different GeoCoins right now.

First. If you lower your price and don't refund money to those who paid the higher price you are going to have a lot of angry people.

Second. Geocoins have reached a level of saturation. The wall has been hit. Personal coins don't sell like they used too. There are too many competing for a limited market.

Third. Anyone who would make and sell a coin always runs the risk of having to pay for them out of pocket.

Fourth. If you do end up having to buy your own coins you could always leave them in caches.

First. If you lower your price and don't refund money to those who paid the higher price you are going to have a lot of angry people.

Why should anyone get angry? It'd be like a store clearancing out their merchandise to get it off their hands and to make sure it sells. Its economics at work...

People need to grow up and learn that things like this need to be done at times.

The only justification of people getting mad for lowering the price would be if he did it during the pre-sale. Since the coins are selling at the moment, like any other store, supply and demand affects price and the consumer has the option of purchasing or passing on the item. It's unethical, but he could even raise it if they were flying out the door too fast. That's how economics work.

SUPPLY & DEMAND

Why should anyone get angry? It'd be like a store clearancing out their merchandise to get it off their hands and to make sure it sells. Its economics at work...

People need to grow up and learn that things like this need to be done at times.

You are right. Now that it's summer I can buy a winter jacket on sale. Does your coin come in a winter version? Or perhaps its like electronics. Do you have a version 2.0 coming out for cheaper than version 1? It's not like tickets where it's more at the door...

You are right though. It's economics at work.

Edited by Renegade Knight
...People need to grow up and learn that things like this need to be done at times.

Those are pretty harsh words coming from somebody that is complaining about having to pay for thier own coins don't you think???

Ummmm... These aren't my coins.... I don't think I have ever complained about having to pay for my own coins(as I don't have any that I have made).

You are right. Now that it's summer I can buy a winter jacket on sale. Does your coin come in a winter version? Or perhaps its like electronics. Do you have a version 2.0 coming out for cheaper than version 1? It's not like tickets where it's more at the door...

You are right though. It's economics at work.

Once again, this is not my coin and I have not personally made a coin. There's plenty of other items that get reduced and its not because of winter or a new version coming out. A good majority of video games reduce their price after a certain amount have been sold, Target and many other stores lower the price on items that haven't been selling(not just seasonal items) to help get them out. If somethings not selling, sometimes you have to lower the price/offer incentives to get it to move.

...People need to grow up and learn that things like this need to be done at times.

Those are pretty harsh words coming from somebody that is complaining about having to pay for thier own coins don't you think???

Ummmm... These aren't my coins.... I don't think I have ever complained about having to pay for my own coins(as I don't have any that I have made).

<Removes foot from mouth>

Sorry, I had you confused with the OP. Apologies.

WOW! Thanks Gang! I appreciate all the comments, concern's, & Actions!

I was just seeking advice for making these maybe a little cheaper for you all!

I Have had some E-Mails stating Great Coin but the Shipping was a little High!

I wasn't complaining about Paying for them either!

I was stating That I would have to pay for them if eventually if they don't all sell at The Geocoin Store!

Then I was asking if I listed them HERE Cheaper If I would get a Better Responce for orders like OTHER People list there GEOCOINS here for Sale, & PreSale's!

So AGAIN Thanks for the Comment's! Being Bad or Good! That's Why I Posted this here! All were taking in and Processed for the Advice and As I stated ABOVE! We will NOT Worry about HAVING to PAY for the ONE'S that DON'T Sell, AND Will OFFER THEM to the ONE'S that E-Mail me for TRADE'S! FOR Which I INTENDED to do when I DECIDED to Have these Geocoins Made Like everyone Else. I Believe?

Good Enough? <"Walking away with a Pleased, & Happy Smile on thy Face!"> Happy Caching All!

Thanks again!

Scott-N8ZUS!

....Once again, this is not my coin and I have not personally made a coin. There's plenty of other items that get reduced and its not because of winter or a new version coming out. A good majority of video games reduce their price after a certain amount have been sold, Target and many other stores lower the price on items that haven't been selling(not just seasonal items) to help get them out. If somethings not selling, sometimes you have to lower the price/offer incentives to get it to move.

Everone gets that if something doesn't sell you lower the price until it does. The question the OP asked ands which I was trying to illistrate is why people would get annoyed at having just spent full price if the price is lowered and they don't get a partial re-fund as a good will gesture.

The games you talk about are not "limited edition" which virtually all geocoins are. Typically they are out for many many months before the price is lowered. On top of that games are not normally collectable and with the sole exception of the next installment of Fools Errand games are not pre-sold by the game maker. The game maker invests the time and money to make the game, then sells it hoping for a hit. When it comes to a lot of cons, the coin buyers are in effect the people who made the coin possible. The maker is taking advantage of a situation created by the good will of coin buyers.

The bottom line here is that coins are not standard goods. The buyers of this coin bankrolled it so they are both buyers and investors. The return on that investment is that a coin is made. The OP is worried they may actually have to pay for their coins. That's not normal and so all the normal comparisons being made may or may not apply.

So let me make my opinion clear. If you lower the price, refund the difference to those who showed the most faith up front.

....Once again, this is not my coin and I have not personally made a coin. There's plenty of other items that get reduced and its not because of winter or a new version coming out. A good majority of video games reduce their price after a certain amount have been sold, Target and many other stores lower the price on items that haven't been selling(not just seasonal items) to help get them out. If somethings not selling, sometimes you have to lower the price/offer incentives to get it to move.

The bottom line here is that coins are not standard goods. The buyers of this coin bankrolled it so they are both buyers and investors. The return on that investment is that a coin is made. The OP is worried they may actually have to pay for their coins. That's not normal and so all the normal comparisons being made may or may not apply.

So let me make my opinion clear. If you lower the price, refund the difference to those who showed the most faith up front.

Let's say the OP does refund the difference. What should it be? The $2.00 the coinstore charged for processing. Should it be the .50 for the price of the coin only. The OP will not do the refund the coinstore will need to, since the people that paid for the coin paid the coinstore not the OP. Lets say it is just the .50 Cents, if they do a refund won't PayPal take out .35 cents with only .15 cents left over. If the OP does end up paying for their left over coins then they can do what they want with them. Myself I would sell the coins at the same price and with true shipping cost and what it cost with the mailer. That should bring the price to about 8.50 a coin.

Richard

Edited by GeoCrickets

...Let's say the OP does refund the difference. What should it be? The $2.00 the coinstore charged for processing. Should it be the .50 for the price of the coin only. The OP will not do the refund the coinstore will need to, since the people that paid for the coin paid the coinstore not the OP. Lets say it is just the .50 Cents, if they do a refund won't PayPal take out .35 cents with only .15 cents left over. If the OP does end up paying for their left over coins then they can do what they want with them. Myself I would sell the coins at the same price and with true shipping cost and what it cost with the mailer. The should bring the price to about 8.50 a coin.

Richard

PayPal would probably undo the fee's charged if they operate like a Credit card company. As for the refund, just the change in coin price. The S&H charged by thegeocoinstore is beyond the OP's control. As you pointed out if the did buy their coins they could give an efficive discount just by charging actual shipping.

You can always make sure you have all the buyers covered. By posting in these forums you have picked up a sale or two. I would also think about about listing on E-Bay at a higher cost to cover the expenses. That way you also cover the e-bay purchasers. Lastly roll up to some events with your coins and show them around. If people are interested then you may pick up sales there as well. It is always up to the seller to get there goods to the buyers.

...Let's say the OP does refund the difference. What should it be? The $2.00 the coinstore charged for processing. Should it be the .50 for the price of the coin only. The OP will not do the refund the coinstore will need to, since the people that paid for the coin paid the coinstore not the OP. Lets say it is just the .50 Cents, if they do a refund won't PayPal take out .35 cents with only .15 cents left over. If the OP does end up paying for their left over coins then they can do what they want with them. Myself I would sell the coins at the same price and with true shipping cost and what it cost with the mailer. The should bring the price to about 8.50 a coin.

Richard

PayPal would probably undo the fee's charged if they operate like a Credit card company. As for the refund, just the change in coin price. The S&H charged by thegeocoinstore is beyond the OP's control. As you pointed out if the did buy their coins they could give an efficive discount just by charging actual shipping.

And as for your statement about the goods that stores clearance are not special, limited editions. I was just using video games as an example. There are plenty of items that are limited editions that go on clearance. I know I just picked up some special, limited edition collectors GI Joe figures for over half off the original price.

Except for he wouldn't be able to give the refund to the buyers from the account that the buyers had purchased from. Thus, Paypal would charge the 35 cent fee. Remember, the buyers purchased from the geocoinstore, not Scott.

Personal coins should never be sold. If $7 is your "cost" on these you paid WAY too much.

I pray that this is the beginning of the end for mass-produced “personal” coins and other commercial geoo-garbage. It would be great to see geocoins get back to its roots of trade and cache placement only.

Sorry to see the little guy getting burned here.

Edited by Phantom_Dog

...Except for he wouldn't be able to give the refund to the buyers from the account that the buyers had purchased from. Thus, Paypal would charge the 35 cent fee. Remember, the buyers purchased from the geocoinstore, not Scott.

Ideally geocoinstore would handle the refund (if one were to happen) and solve the issue, otherwise it's a mess just as you suggest. Since geocoinstore supports variable pricing (or did at one point) it would be interesting to see how people liked that as buyers.

...Except for he wouldn't be able to give the refund to the buyers from the account that the buyers had purchased from. Thus, Paypal would charge the 35 cent fee. Remember, the buyers purchased from the geocoinstore, not Scott.

Ideally geocoinstore would handle the refund (if one were to happen) and solve the issue, otherwise it's a mess just as you suggest. Since geocoinstore supports variable pricing (or did at one point) it would be interesting to see how people liked that as buyers.

The geocoinstore wouldn't give a refund if the price lowered. They're a store and would see it as either a price increase or a price decrease with no refunds due to a price change. How would you like it if someone sold their coins on the geocoinstore, didn't sell all of them, received some, and decides to raise the price when he's selling them outside of the store. Then, he decides "Well, it wouldn't be fair to those purchasing the coins now at a higher price, I need to send an invoice to all those who purchased it to charge them the higher price"? It sounds ridiculus, doesn't it? But you want him to do it in reverse...

I would buy one if this were to happen.

<snip> it doesn't have anything "cute" (ever notice how many coins have an animal on one side for instance?), nor anything "cool" or humorous, nor a caching-specific or nature scene (lots of these on other coins too) on it.
Is it bad to have a smiling hippo on your coin? :(

Not to mention, even folks here that preach the No selling/Only trading issue are still making a profit off of their coins. After a trade with them, alot of the traded for coins end up for auction from these same folks. A profit is a profit even if you go about it a different way.

Whats wrong? Are your profits drying up?

Whats wrong? Are your profits drying up?

Dude, stop being a jerk. Its annoying.

Awww... gotta call in the mods... Oh no, the big bad spaghetti creature is scary.

All kidding aside, the comment I responded to was baited for some sort of flaming response.

Of course people are making profits and such. No need to make insinuating comments about profits.

Let's be clear - nobody "called in the mods". Eartha and I spend a fair amount of time in here.

All kidding aside, the comment I responded to was baited for some sort of flaming response.

Doesn't mean that you (nor anybody has to take the bait).

Oh no, the big bad spaghetti creature is scary.

I'm not taking the bait. I assume this was in good fun, so let's let it be.

The moderators are here to keep things civilized, not to be looked upon as enforcers or anything else. We have player accounts too and just want to keep things to a dull roar, ok?

Now, does anybody else have any selling advice for the OP?

Oh no, the big bad spaghetti creature is scary.

I'm not taking the bait. I assume this was in good fun, so let's let it be.

The moderators are here to keep things civilized, not to be looked upon as enforcers or anything else. We have player accounts too and just want to keep things to a dull roar, ok?

Now, does anybody else have any selling advice for the OP?

And yes, the comment "Oh no, the big bad spaghetti creature is scary was a joke... Thats why after it I put "All kidding aside" Guess when you changed that in your reply to it that you forgot that it was below the kidding part.

...The geocoinstore wouldn't give a refund if the price lowered. They're a store and would see it as either a price increase or a price decrease with no refunds due to a price change. How would you like it if someone sold their coins on the geocoinstore, didn't sell all of them, received some, and decides to raise the price when he's selling them outside of the store. Then, he decides "Well, it wouldn't be fair to those purchasing the coins now at a higher price, I need to send an invoice to all those who purchased it to charge them the higher price"? It sounds ridiculus, doesn't it? But you want him to do it in reverse...

Geocoinstore is also a fulfilment service. They sell coins on behalf of cachers, who can also opt to to sell their own coins. Until I asked as a coin maker I wouldn't know if they would do a refund or not. Though I would ask if it were my coin in this situation.

As for reversing the situation and wondering why it doesn't compaire, that would be a couple of reasons. First you are not just buying coins. You are buying a promise and an expectation. For one that the OP won't make 2000000 more coins for 5 cents each once he gets his quantity discount dialed in. You are also working with good will. Good will also has a value. Violate it and it's going to cost you as a business. Good will doesn't fit a standard equation. You don't send someone a coin without their knowlege then bill them for it if they don't send it back. That's bad business. On the other hand you can send them a coin, but not bill them for it. That's also bad busines but does generate good will.