Beavers

Sheards

I happened to mention geocaching to junior junior Sheard's Beaver leader (Beavers is a pre Cubs thing for those who don't know) and I now see that it has been included in next terms activities with myself listed as the parent helper!

What would the more knowledgeable cachers recommend as the best approach to dealing with introducing 18 or so 6-8 year olds to caching?

Should I set up something temporarily for them to find, use an established cache, or encourage their leader to set up a cache in their name.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Iain

I happened to mention geocaching to junior junior Sheard's Beaver leader (Beavers is a pre Cubs thing for those who don't know) and I now see that it has been included in next terms activities with myself listed as the parent helper!

What would the more knowledgeable cachers recommend as the best approach to dealing with introducing 18 or so 6-8 year olds to caching?

Should I set up something temporarily for them to find, use an established cache, or encourage their leader to set up a cache in their name.

Iain

I'd try to find a local cache first (an existing one) that is easy to find and safe for youngsters to search for. Finding it before hand will also make it easier to locate should they have difficulty. Maybe set a cache at a later date depending on how people feel about the experience? I don't know if finding a temporary one that you set up just to find will have the same excitement? It does beg the question, how do you get 18 beavers all to feel involved with only one GPSr and one cache?

Iain

I'd try to find a local cache first (an existing one) that is easy to find and safe for youngsters to search for. Finding it before hand will also make it easier to locate should they have difficulty. Maybe set a cache at a later date depending on how people feel about the experience? I don't know if finding a temporary one that you set up just to find will have the same excitement? It does beg the question, how do you get 18 beavers all to feel involved with only one GPSr and one cache?

I would be loathe to use a real cache as they will want to show their friends etc if they enjoyed it - easy to lose a cache that way!

Would be a good idea to see if a few of the Milton keyne cachers would help out with the loan of GPS and their time!

One cacher (or GPS) to four kids wouild be good. Shame its not local to me cause I would have helped - but chester is too far :grin:

Also might be nice to try and use caching as a link between your beavers and another one in the US. Challenge them to a TB Race for example this might be a good place to start

Bob

We did it with a Cub Pack last year.

Definitely set a few temporary ones that aren't too far from the starting point (I guess the Scout hut). You know where they are (or were before the local youth found half of them) and you can put Beaver type goodies in - including sweets if you want!

For the Cubs we made them as mini-multi's. Nice and simple with no cryptic stuff for them to ponder over - just go from A to B to C and then to the cache.

Having run quite a few large (5000+) events for Beaver Scouts in a previous job in the London/Essex area, I'd agree with the placing of a few temporary caches close together.

A multi maybe as long as they aren't too far apart as the biggest danger is that the little darlings will get bored....

Ideally you'll need a few GPS and a similar number of adults to look after them all.

If GPS's are lacking then some activities on a Treasure hunting theme could be added... thinking as I type here... Pirates/Treasure map.. Simple code/cypher with answer providing the location of a prize... Borrow some Scouts and set up a short orinteering course... There again how long have you got? An hour maybe...

Good luck... You'll have great fun..

Steve

Hi Sheards,

Have spent last five years running a Beaver colony and when I discovered geocaching I thought it would be a great thing to do on a Beaver evening. We had 22 in our colony and I did wonder how I was going to get them all involved and to be honest keep them interested - 6-8 yr old boys have a very short attention span! In the end although we have some caches of our own nearby I decided to set up my own temporary caches in the local woods and as we only have them for 1hr 15mins get the parents to drop them off nearby as by the time the register has been taken it doesn't leave much time and you'd be amazed at the differing walking abilities between children - we have three GPS so split them into 3 groups, which meant they could all have a little hold and sent them off with each group having different coords - filled the caches with sweets, which seemed to go down very well and also meant we could have a chat about taking litter home with you. Each group then had the coords to the same place where I arranged for Mr Roo to be waiting with some well earned squash for everyone and it then meant we could all walk back to the parents pick up point together. The evening went down a storm and am already planning another one now the nights are lighter - the beavers thoroughly enjoyed themselves and have even had two families from the colony take up cacheing - hope some of this helps and that your evening is a success.

Totally agree with the Travel Bug idea of letting them have one and tracking it.

Last year I set up EIGHT temp caches for my karate club and organised an event for them etc. They really enjoyed that.

Six months later, 3 of those caches were made into full GC caches.

Introduce them slowly.

Oss!

It's been over a year since this thread was last used so lets see what happens.

My response would be 'Why get Beaver Scouts out Caching?

if you have Beavers out caching, what are you leaving the Scouts to do? What is the fascination some people have with trying to make young people grow up too fast? Does a 6 - 8 year old have the common sense to understand all the rules, etiquette etc of geocaching? Not a chance. Can you risk them going out on a real cache? No, because if they find it they'll scream it out at the top of their voices!

Stick with a 'treasure hunt' but don't try to undertake proper caching.

:angry:

if you have Beavers out caching, what are you leaving the Scouts to do? What is the fascination some people have with trying to make young people grow up too fast? Does a 6 - 8 year old have the common sense to understand all the rules, etiquette etc of geocaching? Not a chance. Can you risk them going out on a real cache? No, because if they find it they'll scream it out at the top of their voices!

:blink:

I'm hoping you're just saying that to get a reaction...

do we really need to answer your questions?????? Kids of all ages should be involved with caching - that's what makes it such a fabulous family activity.

What is the fascination some people have with trying to make young people grow up too fast? Does a 6 - 8 year old have the common sense to understand all the rules, etiquette etc of geocaching?

:blink:

My 10 year old daughter has been caching since she was 5 years old and loves it she has demonstrated caching to her school and several of her classmates have accompanied us on caching trips and she always explains the rules and etiquette whenever that happens.

So I guess that your sweeping statement was intended to get some angry reaction from somebody and hopefully you will fail :laughing:

Edited by Matrix

What is the fascination some people have with trying to make young people grow up too fast? Does a 6 - 8 year old have the common sense to understand all the rules, etiquette etc of geocaching?

:ph34r:

My 10 year old daughter has been caching since she was 5 years old and loves it she has demonstrated caching to her school and several of her classmates have accompanied us on caching trips and she always explains the rules and etiquette whenever that happens.

So I guess that your sweeping statement was intended to get some angry reaction from somebody and hopefully you will fail :o

Actually, I'm guessing that you are coming at this as 'Angry Parent Cacher' rather than a Beaver Scout leader. I noted that you carefully selected only the phrase you didn't like, rather than the whole entry, which would have allowed my comment to be taken in context.

Caching with family groups is to be encouraged, anything that gets young people out. I am looking at the Balanced programme of the Scout Association, that runs from ages 6 to 25. The practicalities of taking 18 Beaver Scouts (6 -8) out to the park or whatever to find a genuine cache are quite considerable. My point was to see if we could have a sensible debate on the relevance as a SCOUTING activity for particular age ranges, not to question the relevance to a FAMILY group activity.

Had I been trying to provoke an angry over reaction, I would seem to have been sucessful with you, and that was not the intent. The title of this thread is Beavers, NOT Family Caching.

The Boy Scouts of America have a considerable amount of official guidance for Scouts geocaching, which we in this country do not yet have. The Scout Association has introduced geocaching as part of the Scout Section (10 14) Navigator badge. So why try to bring it in for Beaver Scouts (6-8).

If any Beaver Scout Leaders have tried it as a Section Activity, I'd appreciate some feedback. Did it work or was it a knightmare.

Edited by careygang

:ph34r:

I'm hoping you're just saying that to get a reaction...

do we really need to answer your questions?????? Kids of all ages should be involved with caching - that's what makes it such a fabulous family activity.

HazelS

please see my reply to Matrix. You both missed the point (and perhaps I should have made myself clearer but then this post is entitled BEAVERS). I am not talking about Family Groups, I'm talking about geocaching as a structured part of a programme for 6 -25 year olds. The entry from Roos on 1 April 2006 was a sensible thing, a 'Treasure Hunt' using GPS, not proper caching on live caches.

I agree your final point entirely it is a fabulous FAMILY activity from pushing the new all-terrain Buggy onwards, but in effect what I am saying is, there is a deviding line between the age when young people go out caching and that when Adults go out caching accompanied by young people. Just because the 7 year old is holding the GPS, and running on ahead, doesn't mean they are caching if the Adult is making the decisions.

There is a whole world of difference between a family group looking around a park or country walk and 4 or 5 groups of Beaver Scouts, all running around in their turquoise tops with an adult, scouring the area for a cache. Even if the young people were well behaved, they would draw a lot of attention and would still greatly increase the possibility of a later Muggling.

Edited by careygang

Actually, I'm guessing that you are coming at this as 'Angry Parent Cacher' rather than a Beaver Scout leader. I noted that you carefully selected only the phrase you didn't like, rather than the whole entry, which would have allowed my comment to be taken in context.

I am not an angry parent I was mearly highlighting your accusation that 6 to 8 year olds were incapable of taking responsibility or indeed having any common sense :P I have highlighted the bit where You yourself say they are incapable of doing so , I was mearly stating that it is my experience that is untrue .

I am not an angry parent I was mearly highlighting your accusation that 6 to 8 year olds were incapable of taking responsibility or indeed having any common sense :P I have highlighted the bit where You yourself say they are incapable of doing so , I was mearly stating that it is my experience that is untrue .

Again you are selective, ignoring my use of ALL. Just because the child runs ahead with the GPS looking for the cache, does not make then capable of understanding and following all the rules of geocaching. Lets face it, there are plenty of Adults who can't follow them.

Lets start this again.

On the topic of BEAVER SCOUTS, little people of 6 - 8 years of age, dressed in Turquoise Tops, how much geocaching should they do as a Scouting activity (not as a member of a family group).

Does the Beaver Scout, in the Beaver Colony environment have the necessary skills to undertake 'real' caching, i.e. do they understand all about the actual Satellite system, the use of the website, the correct use of logs and trackables, all the other GAGB guidelines and the need to be secretive about looking for a cache in the public environment to stop Muggling?

Should they be allowed to hunt real live caches or, as someone mentioned some posts ago, just look for 'Treasure Boxes' that had been specially hidden.

At what point does the young person change from being a kid with the GPS who runs ahead following the Arrow, into a young person who does true geocaching, from initial website lookup back to on-line log entry.

If anyone with actual experience of this age range in large groups, eg a Beaver Scout Leader or a Rainbow/Brownie Guider, would care to contribute, please fire away. If you are basing your comments on what your own child is like when out with you as a parent /guardian, then that is a whole different scenario and not the one that this thread was set up for. :P

Well, I've just got our Exlorer Scouts interested (14 - 18 year olds) its had the effect of getting them interested in hiking and navigation again and they're having fun. They understand how sat nav works, the need for secrecy and what the logging is all about.

Our Unit is a young Leader unit and hence they work with Beavers, Cubs, and Scouts. The general feeling is that whilst the navigation element would be fun with younger sections the need for secrecy and understanding the logs and how sat nav works would complicate maters too much.

However we are considering each section having a Travel Bug that the young Leader will monitor and report back on its travels. This seems to have a lot of interest and minimal problems.

Having read the thread I think the best idea with younger sections would be to set up tempory caches for them to find, that way they can learn how it works without messing up real caches.

For the record I have been a Scout Section Leader for over 15 years and have now moved to the Explorer Unit. I am also an Authorised Mountain Leader to T2 and have experience of Leading young people as young as 8 in the hills.

I think I can comment as someone with experience of planning large scale events for Beaver Scouts, being an Ex Campsite manager at Gilwell Park. As part of that job I organised events for several thousand Beaver Scouts.

My opinion (And thats all it is) is that I'd orgainise a series of unoffical caches (or treasure boxes as others have called them) and let small groups of Beavers find them. I see nothing wrong with introducing Beavers to the technology at their age. I used to organise Metal detecting with Beavers, but that was in a huge pile of sand and did not involve digging massive holes in fields.

At the end of the day this is supposed to be a FUN activity for young people ,finding hidden boxes with a GPS is FUN, understanding how it all works and logging caches online is possibly to a 7 year old, less than fun.

The activity needs to develop up through the sections, so fun caching with Beavers, maybe a few local caches with Cubs, some hiking with some good caches for Scouts.... and some real adventerous stuff for the Explorers/Venture Scouts (Apologies I'm a little out of touch!)

There we go.. that's my 2ps worth.

I think the fact hat we have a discussion about Scouts (all ages) and geocaching is fantastic.

Just to throw my two penneth in, for Geocaching and Scouts to go forward hand in hand i think like most other activties we need to have a scaled in approach.

Carygang, I know you are working on a factsheet but i would suggest that it would probably need to cover the full spectrum of ages and give ideas on what can be done. For example a 'mini' caching game for Beavers to introduce them, a first taster of GPS's with a tresure hunt for cubs and moving onto GPS basic and advanced for Scouts and Explorers.

It's a new hobby that fits in well with the Scout programme and and such everyone everyone here can probably contribute to the setting up of it within Scouting.

Have a group travel bug, use it for the Group international bagde, geocaching can be a great educational tool as well.

Thats my "County Role" opinion.

Personally, I do have to agree that many cachers have taken time and energy to set up caches in such a way that they are not noticable by muggles, having 10+ beavers running around someones cache will certainly make it stand out. I would suggest, as others have setting up your own caches just for the beavers and maybe even cubs, let them have the fun of hunting the treasure with or without a GPS and clues and then exciment when they find it.

:(

So I guess that your sweeping statement was intended to get some angry reaction from somebody and hopefully you will fail :laughing:

Caching with family groups is to be encouraged, anything that gets young people out. I am looking at the Balanced programme of the Scout Association, that runs from ages 6 to 25. The practicalities of taking 18 Beaver Scouts (6 -8) out to the park or whatever to find a genuine cache are quite considerable. My point was to see if we could have a sensible debate on the relevance as a SCOUTING activity for particular age ranges, not to question the relevance to a FAMILY group activity.

Had I been trying to provoke an angry over reaction, I would seem to have been sucessful with you, and that was not the intent. The title of this thread is Beavers, NOT Family Caching.

The Boy Scouts of America have a considerable amount of official guidance for Scouts geocaching, which we in this country do not yet have. The Scout Association has introduced geocaching as part of the Scout Section (10 14) Navigator badge. So why try to bring it in for Beaver Scouts (6-8).

If any Beaver Scout Leaders have tried it as a Section Activity, I'd appreciate some feedback. Did it work or was it a knightmare.

As the parent of a BEAVER who has been geo caching with his Akela i am pleased to report that carefull selction of a relatively remote, non overlooked, easily accesible cache, in a fairly open area (ie easy acces to the well hidden cache) lead to no problems with entire troop descending on it. Now if they had gone for an urban micro im sure this would of been different. :D

The leader chose the right cache to go to a simple decision for an adult.

He also took the time the week before to explain the rules and go through some simple map reading skills for the paths etc the time of day chosen was also one when most muggles would not be out and about

:D

So I guess that your sweeping statement was intended to get some angry reaction from somebody and hopefully you will fail :D

As the parent of a BEAVER who has been geo caching with his Akela i am pleased to report that carefull selction of a relatively remote, non overlooked, easily accesible cache, in a fairly open area (ie easy acces to the well hidden cache) lead to no problems with entire troop descending on it. Now if they had gone for an urban micro im sure this would of been different. :D

The leader chose the right cache to go to a simple decision for an adult.

He also took the time the week before to explain the rules and go through some simple map reading skills for the paths etc the time of day chosen was also one when most muggles would not be out and about

Thanks for the input. I think a lot of it comes down to 'scouting sense with a helping of geocaching sense' rather than 'common sense'. A good 'Scouter' without geocaching experience will still be likely to have problems. I think we can call this thread very useful in getting some graduated approach worked out.

:D Thanks All.

Oh and sorry if I've confused matters in making this post, I've just realised that I was logged in as 'granthamscouts' as I'd been checking our scout listings...

Edited by granthamscouts