I Swear

We only got premium membership last week and since then we have had nothing but problems getting onto geocaching.com!

We have been on the site and after a few minutes it goes down. It is getting beyond a joke now.

We spend more time trying to log our finds than we do searching for them!

Is it just a coinsidence that we paid our membership and it all went heywire.

As Queen Victoria said...." WE ARE NOT AMUSED" !!!!

Please address this problem before people get really really fed up and stop geocaching.

Is it just a coinsidence that we paid our membership and it all went haywire.

Its very important to take responsibility for your actions. You are indeed completely to blame for the failures of the geocaching server. Your logon was the final straw that broke the hay in the wire. The only schadenfreude I take is that you paid for this, probably not dearly enough.

You can of course join the Unified Church of Sciencecacheology. We are waiting to take your call on 0898 0870 0845 where our resident expert Suzy is ready willing and available to take lots more money off you. You may watch her peel away your fears on www.GeocachingLaidbare.com - all credit cards accepted.

:grin:

No problem - I see Waymarking is still up - and now improved!

I also notice a Waymarking category "Wikipedia Entries". With Geocaching apparently dead you can spend your spare time creating Wikipedia Entries, then you can go out and find them when the rain stops! What more could we want?

Well this just sums up Waymarking.com why would I look at another site for Wiki entries; If there is a God please save the human race now before we go too far!

I also notice a Waymarking category "Wikipedia Entries". With Geocaching apparently dead you can spend your spare time creating Wikipedia Entries, then you can go out and find them when the rain stops! What more could we want?

and how, pray tell, do we log them? post a link to the web page?

how about, if I create a waymark category called 'rooms' and then everyone can log it, as many times as they like, every time they enter a room. Or think about entering one, or even just know of the existance of a room. No proof required, just post that you know about a room somewhere, and that's it.... :grin::)

How about a Waymarking catagory called "Geocaches". I dunno, we could hide like, boxes or something around the place then go out and find them. Hey we could have a whole n'other website for them... Ooo sounds good..

dadgum! Geocaching.com is already taken, but it seems to be down......

Wooo!

(shoot me now!!)

Hey! why is there not a smilie for a frog with a spear through it's head? I think we should be told!!

and how, pray tell, do we log them? post a link to the web page?

how about, if I create a waymark category called 'rooms' and then everyone can log it, as many times as they like, every time they enter a room. Or think about entering one, or even just know of the existance of a room. No proof required, just post that you know about a room somewhere, and that's it.... :lol::lol:

Go on, I dare you B)

But who would ever see it? B)

Just spent 20 minutes trying to get in to the site, definitely getting worse. Not good

Not one usually to moan at GC but GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

What have they done?

If they can't sort their server problems out then they should employ someone who can!

In the last two hours, I've only just managed to activate 3 coins.

Getting fed up with reading

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Having just tried to log a note about a maintenance trip to one of my caches, I just *knew* this topic would be top of the forum. :laughing:

Edited to say I *loved* Third-degree-witch's link! It seems some people are changing their tune. Special 'I told you so' link.

Bit of a SMUG I told you so! there SP? I still stand by my comments that I made on thread. Start paying and it may start working!!

Ooops upsetting people again!! :laughing:

Does anyone honestly believe it's my fault that the servers are playing up? Why would I pay for premium membership to get features I don't want or need and I can't use? I don't even have a data-cable for my etrex. One practical thing I *could* do to reduce the load on the servers would be to archive my caches. 126, found once a month on (conservative estimate) average is 1512 logs a year, or over four a day. Perhaps if I let myself be bullied out of a sport I enjoy and happily contribute to that *would* help the good people of Groundspeak?

I've not sniped at anyone - my original post said 'people' and if anyone feels I meant them, perhaps that's a reflection of their conscious? I didn't single anyone out as I wasn't singling anyone out. Some people don't understand the concept of personal choice and I have to accept there's not much I can say or do to change that.

What it is to be a martyr <_<

Edited to add if the offer of free petrol and chips is still open, I'd like some please.

Edited by Simply Paul

GGGrrrr - just got back from a great day's caching only to suffer the GC.com server being too busy all the time. It comes to something when it takes longer to log the caches than it does to actually find them.

Why can't someone sort this out once and for all - it's not rocket science at the end of the day and plenty of other sites run well under a lot more traffic.

Time to stop lining the pockets :huh: and buy some more server's :huh:<_<

this will put new cachers off what a pain in the ****

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

Edited by The Windsockers

Does anyone honestly believe it's my fault that the servers are playing up?

Not your fault personally. The way I felt about your post rubbing our noses in the I told you so scenario is that your original thread may have been a thread to get the premium members to complain about the site, so that your overall free experience of the site is better.

If any non paying member has a problem with this site I feel as though they have two choices -

1. Go to one of the other caching sites, that don't offer as much as GC.com does.

2. Pay for your membership and complain along with us.

Otherwise, don't complain about what you get for free. There is an old saying - Beggers can't be choosers!

Anyway, back to the issue, does this make any sense to the techies out there? It appears that Jeremy is trying to sort the problem, but I don't know the ins and outs of what he is saying.

Anyway, back to the issue, does this make any sense to the techies out there? It appears that Jeremy is trying to sort the problem, but I don't know the ins and outs of what he is saying.

Looks like fiddling whilst inhaling the smoke of a big fire to me. Yes, the load on the servers can be reduced, but the thngs he is looking at look like small beer compared with the PQ and search loads. The new server aimed at caching data looks a better bet.

Please address this problem before people get really really fed up and stop geocaching.

Now that you have threatened to quit geocaching I am sure they will redouble their efforts.

geesh!

Perhaps I cannot read, however I cannot see where lollybob threatens to leave geocaching!

I may be being a little pedantic but there you go.

Anyway, are you really hinting that people are wrong to get fed up with the even poorer service we have been receiving of late

Not your fault personally. The way I felt about your post rubbing our noses in the I told you so scenario is that your original thread may have been a thread to get the premium members to complain about the site, so that your overall free experience of the site is better.

If any non paying member has a problem with this site I feel as though they have two choices -

1. Go to one of the other caching sites, that don't offer as much as GC.com does.

Otherwise, don't complain about what you get for free. There is an old saying - Beggers can't be choosers!

I'm glad you don't think it's personally my fault. It's just when you said 'Start paying and it may start working!!' it sort of looked like you were. Now I read it again, it still looks like you were. Anyway.

The thread I linked to was about peoples' thoughts on the service they were paying for. As I don't pay for it, I didn't feel I could whine too much (this is all covered in that thread, of course) and it wasn't egging people on to complain about the site, I only wanted to know how bad it'd need to get before they felt justified in asking for a partial refund. I just find it amusing (and a little hypocritical) that some opinions expressed in that threat, talking about a hypothetical situation, have turned 180 degrees when faced by the stark reality of a GC.com that seems to be dying on its arse. I would like to see the site more reliable, but I suggest if it was free users causing the problems, as opposed to premium members with their greater demands on the system (PQs, etc), that free membership would soon be phased out. Against Jeremy's promise of 'Geocaching will always be free', which is a cornerstone of the sport.

I could 1) Go to one of the other sites, or 2) pay money to have an opinion but 1) my caches are listed on GC.com and 2) I can have an opinion for free. And just because I can: 3) The TBs I paid to track are currently untrackable.

I'd like to move any argument about whether I'm allowed an opinion or not because I've not paid for bonus features which premium members enjoy but I can't access away from this thread and on to email - SimplyPaulGC@aol.com. Feel free to get in touch, whatever your position. My point, that I was mostly poo-poo'd for questioning the service levels in September 05 and have seen my publicly voiced fears realised in the last week, still stands though. <_<

I'm glad you don't think it's personally my fault. It's just when you said 'Start paying and it may start working!!' it sort of looked like you were. Now I read it again, it still looks like you were. Anyway.

The thread I linked to was about peoples' thoughts on the service they were paying for. As I don't pay for it, I didn't feel I could whine too much (this is all covered in that thread, of course) and it wasn't egging people on to complain about the site, I only wanted to know how bad it'd need to get before they felt justified in asking for a partial refund. I just find it amusing (and a little hypocritical) that some opinions expressed in that threat, talking about a hypothetical situation, have turned 180 degrees when faced by the stark reality of a GC.com that seems to be dying on its arse. I would like to see the site more reliable, but I suggest if it was free users causing the problems, as opposed to premium members with their greater demands on the system (PQs, etc), that free membership would soon be phased out. Against Jeremy's promise of 'Geocaching will always be free', which is a cornerstone of the sport.

I could 1) Go to one of the other sites, or 2) pay money to have an opinion but 1) my caches are listed on GC.com and 2) I can have an opinion for free. And just because I can: 3) The TBs I paid to track are currently untrackable.

I'd like to move any argument about whether I'm allowed an opinion or not because I've not paid for bonus features which premium members enjoy but I can't access away from this thread and on to email - SimplyPaulGC@aol.com. Feel free to get in touch, whatever your position. My point, that I was mostly poo-poo'd for questioning the service levels in September 05 and have seen my publicly voiced fears realised in the last week, still stands though. <_<

There is no such thing as a free lunch

There is no such thing as a free lunch
There is if you fake a heart attack just before the bill arrives. This is very like the 'Beggars can't be choosers' comment from earlier, and falls under the 'please email me if you think the fact I don't want the PREMIUM features offered to PREMIUM members means I'm a GC.com bandwidth-vampire' bracket. A smart person might also note I've NOT jumped on the 'Come on Jeremy, this isn't good enough' bandwagon rolling on in this and other threads. Which sort of pops the whole 'if you don't pay for it (which I do through the TBs I own, to say nothing of the cost of setting caches up) don't knock it' balloon.

And if you're bored reading all this, imagine how I feel typing it <_<

Edit to add I'd expect you Moote, of all people, to appreciate the integrity and guts needed to express an unpopular opinion that you believe in. Perhaps this is a 'cheap' comment, but it is an accurate one.

Edited by Simply Paul

1. The cost of a TB is paying for the indefinite use of a web page that tracks mileage to within feet anywhere in the world. It DOES NOT contribute towards the running of the entire GC.com site.

2. I like to think that most people on here ARE smart in their own way, and I don't like your hidden remark to suggest otherwise.

3. Yes, I am bored with this, so I am going to do, what I think a lot of people may wish you would do, and stop typing on the subject. <_<

1. The cost of a TB is paying for the indefinite use of a web page that tracks mileage to within feet anywhere in the world. It DOES NOT contribute towards the running of the entire GC.com site.

2. I like to think that most people on here ARE smart in their own way, and I don't like your hidden remark to suggest otherwise.

3. Yes, I am bored with this, so I am going to do, what I think a lot of people may wish you would do, and stop typing on the subject. <_<

1) The cost of a web page is negligible I paid £15+ for five tags. What did they spend the rest of that money on if it wasn't the TB page, plastic bag, metal tag and a piece of paper with an activation code on it?

2) It wasn't a hidden remark, it was a turn of phrase. I don't know any properly stupid people. That's not to say smart people can't say or do dumb things sometimes. Myself included.

3) I asked that one area of discussion was moved off-forum as it wasn't on-topic. The next post ignored that request. What's a guy to do? Here's a deal - if you, and *everyone else*, stop typing on this subject, so will I. No need to reply... :huh: