Group Recruiting Tips And Tactics

The purpose of this thread is to post general tips and tricks for gathering the support one needs to see his or her category listed in the directory.

For questions on procedural issues related to creating a Group or Category please visit the FAQ:

http://www.Waymarking.com/help/faq.aspx?f=-1

Or this series of posts in the Getting Started forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=2097536

Do Your Homework!

You're more likely to garner support in the form of Group officers if you take the time to post a detailed description of what you hope to accomplish with your category. Don't forget to search the directory first to make sure you aren't duplicating the efforts of other waymarkers.

There are a lot of resources around the 'net for you to use in writing your category description (like Wikipedia), and people will be more likely to join up if you've taken the time to do your homework. Little or no preparation on your part will likely result in a lukewarm reception of your idea.

Discuss Possible Variables

Variables give you a way to gather additional information about a location, or separate waymarks in your category into logical groupings. For instance, for Historic Markers you can have a variable that requires a waymark submitter to choose between a "highway" marker, or a "city" marker. Variables can make or break a category so now is the time to start thinking about how they relate to your category idea. If you need input from the community don't be shy in asking for help.

Remember, 99% of the time when someone feels they need sub-categories what they really need are more variables.

Be Enthusiastic

If you're not excited about the prospect of managing your chosen category, there's little chance anyone else will be either. Pin on your pieces of flare and sell it!

Have Your Group Ready

Take a moment to create a Group to manage your category before posting your request for support. Start by choosing a Group name and writing out a quick description of your goals for the category so folks know what they're getting into. When you are ready to begin accepting new membership, it is helpful to turn on "Open Enrollment" feature to allow new members to join at their whim.

Don't forget to include a link to your Group page when proposing your new category!

I will add to this post occasionally and would welcome any input on effective recruiting and category proposal tactics. Happy Waymarking!

Edited by OpinioNate
Jeremy Posted Today, 11:49 AM

I have found it to be easier to create Open Enrollment for your group to recruit new members. From there you can elect officers into your category.

That only applies to existing Categories though.

Unless I missed it (probably), there isn't a way to SHOW GROUPS so people can join them.. It's by Invitation Only.

e.g. I create the group, and contact a few people to help me with it.

B) The Blue Quasar

Jeremy Posted Today, 11:49 AM

I have found it to be easier to create Open Enrollment for your group to recruit new members. From there you can elect officers into your category.

That only applies to existing Categories though.

Unless I missed it (probably), there isn't a way to SHOW GROUPS so people can join them.. It's by Invitation Only.

e.g. I create the group, and contact a few people to help me with it.

B) The Blue Quasar

You missed it (first time for everything!). For instance, you can visit Jer's Berry Picking Group and join without invitation.

.....so I would like another "Category" and already own others and have send out invitations for the 'New One' and have 2 "Officers" in place, can I advertise the others "For Sale" and hope to acquire a new one?

If you own 4 or say 5 now, do you have to relinquish one or both of them? B)

I guess I wasn't really clear...

How can the "OPEN ENROLLMENT" be used as an option, if there is no way for people to see Groups that are in the process of creation?

From how it went for me... I made the Group... and sent out invitations... got Officers.... created the Category.... got them to vote on it.... it went to PEER REVIEW

But if I make another group... I dunno what, so I'll fall back to my usual... "Matadors of the Bull Fighting Arena" as a Group to assist with my to be developed "Bull Fighting Arenas"

The Group is made, and so far I'm the only member.

I choose OPEN ENROLLMENT.

And I sit back and wait for interested people to contact me... how do they know about the Group or that I'm looking based ONLY on the OPEN ENROLLMENT, or do I still have to invite/find people through other methods?

I totally get how I can join a Group for a Category that already exists, but what if the Category DOESN'T exist yet (as that is the stage after forming the group and getting Officers)?

B) The Blue Quasar

I guess I wasn't really clear...

You were clear. The best place currently to recruit new GROUP members is in the forums. There is no current way to see groups that are open to enrollment yet.

Often in geocaching I have found that new feature requests present themselves when everyone starts hitting on them. In this case we have realised that more visibility to open groups is important. It'll take some feature enhancements to make this happen.

<snip>

And I sit back and wait for interested people to contact me... how do they know about the Group or that I'm looking based ONLY on the OPEN ENROLLMENT, or do I still have to invite/find people through other methods?

<snip>

I see. Yes, for now you'll need to visit the category proposal forum and say "Hey, lil' help?", even if you have it set to Open Enrollment. We're discussing ways of announcing your need for Officers in the future, through a "Needs Officers" queue on the website or some other means.

You essentially would need to step down from being the leader of your category to start new ones. If you like to create, nourish and care for your category - and once the category takes off depart it - the more the merrier.

how do you step down? would it not be a change leadership to X officer? similar to adopting out a category....

could there be an 'ad' put on the category description stating that you wish to give it away?

Now that I have decided to keep my"Hawai'i Historic Markers" Category :anibad: but don't have 3 officers, yet, (for group management)....when I want to activate 'Historic Forts' or 'Scenic Views' category it always goes back to wanting to install my 'Hawai'i Markers' with the following line.--

Congratulations, your group has fulfilled the prerequisites for managing a category. Which of your individual categories would you like to manage with this group?

Question: Do I have to activate my 'H.H M' Category first before I can proceed with my other two proposals?

Variables give you a way to gather additional information about a location, or separate waymarks in your category into logical groupings. For instance, for Historic Markers you can have a variable that requires a waymark submitter to choose between a "highway" marker, or a "city" marker. Variables can make or break a category so now is the time to start thinking about how they relate to your category idea. If you need input from the community don't be shy in asking for help.

Remember, 99% of the time when someone feels they need sub-categories what they really need are more variables.

At what point in the process must we stop editing the category? Before an officer vote is called? Before peer review?

At what point in the process must we stop editing the category? Before an officer vote is called? Before peer review?

Once you call for an officer vote, the category is temporarily locked. This way, your officers are reviewing a stationary target. When the last officer 'Yea' vote is cast, the category (still locked) moves into Peer Review. It remains locked until the 3 day peer review process is over, at which point you can edit (most) of the category again.

During the officer vote and the Peer Review, you (as the category owner) can cancel the vote (or the Peer Review) if you need to change the category details, but if you do, you have to start the process all over again, beginning with a new officers vote.

Once you call for an officer vote, the category is temporarily locked. This way, your officers are reviewing a stationary target. When the last officer 'Yea' vote is cast, the category (still locked) moves into Peer Review. It remains locked until the 3 day peer review process is over, at which point you can edit (most) of the category again.

During the officer vote and the Peer Review, you (as the category owner) can cancel the vote (or the Peer Review) if you need to change the category details, but if you do, you have to start the process all over again, beginning with a new officers vote.

Perfect...thanks...just what I was looking for.

OpinioNate:

How do I start my own category? How do I manage it?

1. Upgrade your account to Premium

2. Create a Group to help you manage the category (two Officers and a Leader)

3. Fill out the category submission form on your Group page

4. Submit your category to Peer Review

I have formed a Civil War Group and have the required number of Officers. I do not see a "category submission form" on my Group Page. I just have the drop down menu showing the only category I currently own. This isn't a Civil War-type category. I want to create a new category for this group to manage, go through peer review and get it up and running.

So...how do I start a new category?

Thanks,

showbizkid

The purpose of this thread is to post general tips and tricks for gathering the support one needs to see his or her category listed in the directory.

For questions on procedural issues related to creating a Group or Category please visit the FAQ:

http://www.Waymarking.com/help/faq.aspx?f=-1

Or this series of posts in the Getting Started forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=2097536

Do Your Homework!

You're more likely to garner support in the form of Group officers if you take the time to post a detailed description of what you hope to accomplish with your category. Don't forget to search the directory first to make sure you aren't duplicating the efforts of other waymarkers.

There are a lot of resources around the 'net for you to use in writing your category description (like Wikipedia), and people will be more likely to join up if you've taken the time to do your homework. Little or no preparation on your part will likely result in a lukewarm reception of your idea.

Be Enthusiastic

If you're not excited about the prospect of managing your chosen category, there's little chance anyone else will be either. Pin on your pieces of flare and sell it!

Have Your Group Ready

Take a moment to create a Group to manage your category before posting your request for support. Start by choosing a Group name and writing out a quick description of your goals for the category so folks know what they're getting into. When you are ready to begin accepting new membership, it is helpful to turn on "Open Enrollment" feature to allow new members to join at their whim.

Don't forget to include a link to your Group page when proposing your new category!

I will add to this post occasionally and would welcome any input on effective recruiting and category proposal tactics. Happy Waymarking!

OpinioNate:

On the group page above the officer list there should be a box showing 4 steps. The first one is Create Your Category. Click this and you are on your way.

Bruce:

I do not have the four step box on my group page. The only thing showing is the drop-down menu with existing categories I own. Nothing whatsoever about new category formation.

Nate? Some help?

-David

OpinioNate:

On the group page above the officer list there should be a box showing 4 steps. The first one is Create Your Category. Click this and you are on your way.

Edited by showbizkid

I do not have the four step box on my group page. The only thing showing is the drop-down menu with existing categories I own. Nothing whatsoever about new category formation.

When you originally set up your group, did you click on the "[click here if your group is NOT interested in managing a category]" link by any chance?

No, I did not click the Not Interested box.

When you originally set up your group, did you click on the "[click here if your group is NOT interested in managing a category]" link by any chance?

Bruce:

Nate? Some help?

-David

Sorry for the delay, David. You can't create a new category until you've already assigned your existing category(ies) to a Group. Once you have, the "Create Category" link will appear on your Group page.

-Nate

Once you have recruited your officers a dropdown menu will automatically appear on your Group page listing the categories which can be assigned to that Group. This dropdown will not be available unless you have the required number of officers (2).

Sorry if i'm overlooking it but i can't find the drop down menu with the categories which can be assingned to the Group i created. Yes, i already have the required nbr. of officers (2).

My Category, created in 2005, is "Ancient Aqueducts" and i just created the Group with the same name to manage it and invited two fellow geocachers who accepted to join it.

Ancient Aqueducts

founder: MAntunes

date created: 5/30/2006

no. of members: 3

Is it a matter of delay between servers? What should i do to connect the Category to the Group?

Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Problem solved! I didn't promote the members to officers. It's ok now. Sorry. :(

Edited by MAntunes