Feature Suggestion: Category Summary

So, I'm going through the general process of creating a group to manage my Off-Leash category.

Step #1 is of course to figure out who to invite to join the group. I'd like to invite those who are most active in the category.

This got me thinking it might be nice to have some kind of summary page for a category. Things like

# of waymarks

# of waymarkers with marks in the category (with a link to a sorted list of waymarkers)

# of visits to the category

maybe a few more little statistics too.

Anyways, I can dream can't I?

So, I'm going through the general process of creating a group to manage my Off-Leash category.

Step #1 is of course to figure out who to invite to join the group. I'd like to invite those who are most active in the category.

This got me thinking it might be nice to have some kind of summary page for a category. Things like

# of waymarks

# of waymarkers with marks in the category (with a link to a sorted list of waymarkers)

# of visits to the category

maybe a few more little statistics too.

Anyways, I can dream can't I?

This would be nice, but after the initial category adoptions there would be no further use for it. Probably emailing through user profiles would be the way to go here.

Still interesting to know how many people are contributing to a category.

Its a different way of assessing the popularity of a category, if I see a category with 1000 waymarks in it, but they are all contributed by one individual, then that means something different than if they were contributed by 1000 different people.

For example, I may go and see some freakish category and think to myself 'who the heck is interested in something like that!' then I could go and look at this kind of stats page and go... Hmmm I guess there really are people who like 'x'.

Along those same lines, it might be nice to see some things like

mean # of waymarks/marker

standard deviation of # waymarks/marker

maximum # wm/m

just to kind of give you some idea of the kind of activity the category gets (like people come, list one waymark and leave, or people come and then hang around listing lots of waymarks).

Could also be incentive for people to log waymarks in a given category (I want to get on the top 10 list)

I like it. We're going to add something like geocaching.com has on the main page to the Waymarking home page:

"There have been X number of categories and X number of waymarks posted to the directory in the last 7 days. Total number blah blah"

Perhaps we could have something similar for each category:

"X number of users have submitted X number of waymarks..."

I manage one of the largest Waymarking categories, Pennsylvania Historic Markers. I did the stats by hand, making hash marks on a sheet of paper, and it took just 15 minutes or so. In my category, the contributions were as follows:

Deano1943: 107

Gosffo: 75

unimoggers: 60

ODragon: 53

Mocadeki: 43

Kordite: 28

The Leprechauns: 25

Chilli Willi: 12

mtngeo: 10

All others (16 accounts): 36

I think it's pretty obvious that I should write notes to certain people to ask them if they'd like to join the management group! In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if I didn't win the votes to be the Category Grand Poobah, or whatever it's called.

ibycus Posted Today, 12:27 PM

.... a link to a sorted list of waymarkers

Absolutely !!!

The Leprechauns Posted Today, 04:12 PM

..... I did the stats by hand, making hash marks on a sheet of paper, and it took just 15 minutes or so.

I can't do that. I tried this a couple weeks ago. Back then, only the last 200 waymarks could be seen (now it's 500, not 1000). I had to resort to copying names and submitting them to the advanced search: "Username (Owner)" and submit each name that I could find by searching around. I had to guess at various keywords to get back past the 200 barrier. I did this with 21 waymarkers in the category and it took a loooooong time.

It would've been way easier if I could've just clicked the person's name and then on Stats and noted the Waymarks owned in the Category. But, there ain't no such type of stat. Why not?

It would've been even easier if ibycus' idea of a sorted listing of waymarkers could be gotten for any category. Cool idea!

yes, now that most of the processes are in place, there might be some focus put on statistic type information.

with geocaching it is fairly easy to 'see what others are doing', but at the moment, Waymarking is secretive in nature....

it would be similar to the 'premium member' cache listing of who has viewed the page......