Waymarking Groups

First, thanks to bootron, OpinioNate, Jeremy, and anyone else who has been working on the latest Waymarking update!

I've just started going through the new features, and had question (and I'll likely have more), so I thought I'd open up a Groups topic.

First question:

When creating a Group, what should we be thinking of in terms of scope? By this I mean is a group intended to be forever associated with only a single category, or could there be multiple categories supported by a single group?

I'm asking since the Group name can't be changed once the group is created.

What is the exact process for transferring ownership of my individually managed category over to the new group? For two of my categories, I already have groups in mind. But I don't want to start the process of group creation without knowing what will come up on the next screen. Do invitations get sent out to the other group members, which they would then accept to join the management group? Once the requisite number of people are in place, and given titles, is there a button to push to acquire ownership of the category?

I had that same question. Is it contemplated that a single group might manage multiple categories?

Yes, one group - one category. We've discussed allowing a group to manage multiple categories in the future but it remains a very remote possibility. The idea is that when you sign on to a group you won't be forced into helping manage another category of which you may or may not have an interest in.

What is the exact process for transferring ownership of my individually managed category over to the new group? For two of my categories, I already have groups in mind. But I don't want to start the process of group creation without knowing what will come up on the next screen. Do invitations get sent out to the other group members, which they would then accept to join the management group? Once the requisite number of people are in place, and given titles, is there a button to push to acquire ownership of the category?

After you have invited and promoted the requisite 2 officers a dropdown menu will appear containing your group-less categories. Select one from the list and your Group will now be tied to that category, and all officers will be notified.

Whereas, when you create a category from scratch the officers will be required to vote on it, the category adoption has no voting requirement so Officers should know ahead of time what they're agreeing to. Of course, they can always leave the Group if they're unhappy with the choice.

(EDIT: verb missing)

Edited by OpinioNate

Okay I'm lost (no GPS jokes allowed :D )

First I cannot find anything about how to actually create a group.

So I tried the Glossary - GROUP isn't in there.

Then I tried "The Groundspeak Knowledge Base" as listed on the new 'Getting Started' page, and there is nothing about Waymarking on that page. And I searched for answers related to Waymark and got no results.

The FAQ explains GROUPS quite well, except how to set them up.

Should I be assuming that the people that already HAVE Categories are able to create GROUPS and no one else is yet?

:D The Blue Quasar

After you have invited and promoted the requisite 2 officers a dropdown menu will appear containing your group-less categories. Select one from the list and your Group will now be tied to that category, and all officers will be notified.

Whereas, when you create a category from scratch the officers will be required to vote on it, the category adoption has no voting requirement so Officers should know ahead of time what they're agreeing to. Of course, they can always leave the Group if they're unhappy with the choice.

(EDIT: verb missing)

So it looks like you can create a group and have it set up before you actually invite officers in. Is that true?

So it looks like you can create a group and have it set up before you actually invite officers in. Is that true?

That's right. You can name your Group, give it a mission statement, and edit the logo before inviting anyone to join you. They will have the opportunity to view these changes before accepting your invitation.

ok, i went to 'my groups' and created one, but how do i attach it to a group? should i have went to my categories and created it that way? how would you delete a category?

if i read the above discussions correctly, once i have 2 officers in the group, from 'the group' page i say which category it manages.? what about each group only being associated with 1 category? what about a historical marker group that would manage all 3 of my historical marker categories?

ok, i went to 'my groups' and created one, but how do i attach it to a group? should i have went to my categories and created it that way? how would you delete a category?

if i read the above discussions correctly, once i have 2 officers in the group, from 'the group' page i say which category it manages.? what about each group only being associated with 1 category? what about a historical marker group that would manage all 3 of my historical marker categories?

I wrote up a quick tutorial in Waymarking Category Discussion to address this issue.

For now we're sticking with the one-group, one-category paradigm bit if it proves to be illogical we'll make the needed changes in the future. Mainly we want to avoid a Group member getting stuck managing an additional category above and beyond what they had originally signed up for.

-Nate

I can't believe I said "paradigm"

HURRAY!

I have created my group, and sent out two invitations....

Got a reply of YES from one (Ibycus), and I promptly promoted him to Officer.

For the first time in months I actually feel like I am getting closer to my goal of owning the "Canadian National Historic Sites" category.

Now if only I could catch up on all these Waymarks I have coordinates and images for... :grin:

But seriously... it's a nice feeling to know that I can finally start to get something accomplished.

:) The Blue Quasar

edit: Right after I posted, I got the other Officer.... now to see the next step!

Edited by The Blue Quasar

So is there anyway to see what groups already exist and what they have called themselves and what their mission statements are - I'm not a plagiarist, I just want to see how others have done this thing and what sort of things they have said so that i can kick start some ideas as at the moment I am not sure what key to type first. And where do you find out whos posting for officers?

Edited by StagsRoar

That's right. You can name your Group, give it a mission statement, and edit the logo before inviting anyone to join you. They will have the opportunity to view these changes before accepting your invitation.

That's great! Thanks. :grin:

So is there anyway to see what groups already exist and what they have called themselves and what their mission statements are - I'm not a plagiarist, I just want to see how others have done this thing and what sort of things they have said so that i can kick start some ideas as at the moment I am not sure what key to type first. And where do you find out whos posting for officers?

i believe that it will start with groups that will manage categories (ie: the fountain group). then once the groups are navigational/serchable there will be many other groups--such as The Georgia Waymarking Association Group, The Historical Marker/Place Group, I Love Waymarking Group, and on and on.........

so, start with what you need. in time TPTB will see how it evolved--much in the spirit of Waymarking.com to this point--an then update as necessary.

If you go to the forum Waymark Category Discussion, you can see that there are several threads that talk about open enrollment or new group....they have links in them to some group pages. I've just made three myself. That was fun! :grin:

I hope I'm not moving too fast but, next snag.....

Got my group formed, all agreed and all that

Created my Category... and all the stuff that goes with it

Had the Group vote on it... all were in favour

Sent it to PEER REVIEW.... and here comes the next snag...

I got an email that said it is in PEER REVIEW and got a link to that... but there is nowhere on the Waymarking site to see the PEER REVIEW area..

Mine is the only one there, and if I click HOME, there is no way back to it.

How can others REVIEW it?

I only have 5 days to get it approved, which as I think about it... how does that work?

:grin: The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar
The Help us review new categories link can be found under the Category Search box at the top of the Waymarking directory pages.

How in .... is anyone going to find it where it is hidden away? I would have never looked there if you hadn't linked us to it :grin:

Another Group question:

What is the difference between a rank of "Officer 1" and "Officer 2"?

Left on the default settings, nothing. But you can assign each of them different combinations of permissions.

Maybe:

Officer 1: Can review waymarks, edit logo, and edit category (logistics)

Officer 2 Can review waymarks, invite new members (recruiting)

You can also change the name to something more descriptive like "head honcho" or "whipping boy". B)

The Help us review new categories link can be found under the Category Search box at the top of the Waymarking directory pages.

How in .... is anyone going to find it where it is hidden away? I would have never looked there if you hadn't linked us to it B)

Ok, maybe you have a good point. Where would it better be placed?

How in .... is anyone going to find it where it is hidden away? I would have never looked there if you hadn't linked us to it B)

Ok, maybe you have a good point. Where would it better be placed?

Personal opinion: with the rest of the "main" buttons on the page.

Directory

Getting Started

My Page

Help Us Review New Categories

Forums

Contact Us

Something like that.

Another Group question:

What is the difference between a rank of "Officer 1" and "Officer 2"?

Left on the default settings, nothing. But you can assign each of them different combinations of permissions.

Maybe:

Officer 1: Can review waymarks, edit logo, and edit category (logistics)

Officer 2 Can review waymarks, invite new members (recruiting)

You can also change the name to something more descriptive like "head honcho" or "whipping boy". B)

Don't give me any ideas! B)

Answering your question:

I think that the "Help us review new Categories" link should remain where it is AND be on the Directory page. Wouldn't hurt to have it on the Main page either, since you list the most recently added there

Cross-pollenation makes things easier to find.

B) The Blue Quasar

I think that the "Help us review new Categories" link should remain where it is AND be on the Directory page. Wouldn't hurt to have it on the Main page either, since you list the most recently added there

What we discussed was to create a more permanent link on the directory page - possibly a graphic inviting you to review categories. Also, at login the system would check the database to see if there are any new categories to review since your last login. If so, create an additional link on the right hand side of the page that lets you know.

I do expect that as this ramps up there will probably be new categories every day to vote on. At least I hope so!

Edited by Jeremy

What happens if a pending "Call for Officer Vote on Category" doesn't get voted on by all the officers in a group within the 5 day window?

Similarly, what happens to a category in that state if it doesn't receive a 100% 'yea' officers vote?

The vote will cancel and revert back to the category edit stage. You can immediately call for another officer vote or make edits first. Same situation for both scenarios.

What happens if a pending "Call for Officer Vote on Category" doesn't get voted on by all the officers in a group within the 5 day window?

Similarly, what happens to a category in that state if it doesn't receive a 100% 'yea' officers vote?

The vote will cancel and revert back to the category edit stage. You can immediately call for another officer vote or make edits first. Same situation for both scenarios.

Ah.

And if I were to manually cancel a currently open vote, same thing I assume.