Bugs In The Machine

Nope Hard Oiler... I didn't receive any Emails from you or anything Waymark related... but I did receive Geocaching emails...

Well, I give you permission to approve the Waymark I submitted today <_<

:P The Blue Quasar

Only if you fix the date :lol::lol::cry: - it should be December 26th 1791 which is when the Province of Upper Canada officially came into being. I thought every Ontarionian knew that :P

I see you added three to the category on 4/20. I haven't seen any confirmation or other notices I usually see as an officer for these. Does this make sense with what you have been observing?

Yep, it seems that everyone else has been experiencing that too. Nice catch with the breadcrumb link.

Nope Hard Oiler... I didn't receive any Emails from you or anything Waymark related... but I did receive Geocaching emails...

I think it is just the Waymark side of things.

Well, I give you permission to approve the Waymark I submitted today :laughing:

:) The Blue Quasar

Looks as if the e-mail problems won't be solved until Monday.

In the meantime all Leaders and Officers should manually check their categories for waymarks waiting for approval. You will not receive a notification e-mail until this problem is fixed. Hopefully the e-mails are still in the server, but aren't going out. When the trouble is fixed, get ready for a landslide!

Try it now. The filter has been adjusted for non-premium members.

Looks like there's a bug in the popularity index computation...the Waterfalls category is showing a -2147483648% (-2^31) decline in popularity. This is probably an appropriate time for a joke about waterfalls running downhill.... :ph34r:

Try it now. The filter has been adjusted for non-premium members.

Looks like there's a bug in the popularity index computation...the Waterfalls category is showing a -2147483648% (-2^31) decline in popularity. This is probably an appropriate time for a joke about waterfalls running downhill.... :ph34r:

The popularity issue is now fixed. And emails have been up since yesterday afternoon.

Two little things:

the url bb code tag seems to be broken in logs, at least a it is in a log i left on my own leland stanford winery WM. it appears to generate html that terminates the anchor tag twice.

when viewing a gallery, either for a log or a waymark, it would be really nice to have next & previous buttons when viewing the large size images, rather than having to look at an image and press back to get to the image index.

hope all is well.

This may be a new bug. In several categories: WWI Monuments, Civil War Monuments, North Carolina Historic Markers, National Register of Historic Places - the groups have placed a variable which is a check box stating something like "I will upload a picture and make it the default photo" or "I will upload a photo showing my GPS receiver".

(This variable was placed because of a bug with the "required photo" function - that box which appears automatically if you select "photo required" in category settings. When submitting waymarks, then editing them, this feature can cause an edit to go to a "Virtual Directory Error" page and the edit doesn't go through. So some of us have adjusted category setting to uncheck required photo.)

Anyway, what we're finding is that even though the simple checkbox is not marked "optional", people can still submit waymarks without checking this box.

If a checkbox variable is "required" (i.e. not optional), why is possible to leave the simple checkbox unchecked and still submit the waymark?

This may be a new bug. In several categories: WWI Monuments, Civil War Monuments, North Carolina Historic Markers, National Register of Historic Places - the groups have placed a variable which is a check box stating something like "I will upload a picture and make it the default photo" or "I will upload a photo showing my GPS receiver".

(This variable was placed because of a bug with the "required photo" function - that box which appears automatically if you select "photo required" in category settings. When submitting waymarks, then editing them, this feature can cause an edit to go to a "Virtual Directory Error" page and the edit doesn't go through. So some of us have adjusted category setting to uncheck required photo.)

Anyway, what we're finding is that even though the simple checkbox is not marked "optional", people can still submit waymarks without checking this box.

If a checkbox variable is "required" (i.e. not optional), why is possible to leave the simple checkbox unchecked and still submit the waymark?

One reason I believe that the check box can remain unchecked is that a check box always has a value either checked (true) or unchecked (false). The required part does not validate for a checked (true) value but rather for any value.

I have found there is a related bug to the required picture functionality. If I fill out waymark and select a picture and then click "save without submitting" the picture uploads and is displayed as a default image. If I click "submit waymark for approval" the picture does not upload and does not display. This is the behavior I observed yesterday.

There is another bug in the system between "save without submitting" and "submit waymark for approval". If I click submit waymark for approval" the system validates whether there are other waymarks within a mile of the one I submitting and asks whether I want to still submit. If I "save without submitting" then edit the waymark and then submit this validation does not take place and thus a duplicate could be input without warning.

Edited by BruceS

I am not able to navigate the site very well. The first page loads, I can get to the forums (clearly :D ) but that seems about the extent of it. Categories are shown with zero entires. If I try to access waymarks I have added it says not authorized. If I try to access any one else's I get a server error. I did receive one email saying someone had visited the wm but could not access it from link in email. :D

Is this just me or are others experiencing anything similar?

Oh, and it happens whether logged in or not.

Edited by GPX Navigators

I am not able to navigate the site very well. The first page loads, I can get to the forums (clearly :) ) but that seems about the extent of it. Categories are shown with zero entires. If I try to access waymarks I have added it says not authorized. If I try to access any one else's I get a server error. I did receive one email saying someone had visited the wm but could not access it from link in email. :cry:

This was a bug that happened because you had no home coordinates set. Sean isolated the problem and fixed it late Friday afternoon. Sorry for the confusion!

On MyPage in the section My Favorites all the categories show 0 waymarks. But all the waymark categories do have waymarks. Perhaps the same issue as reported before. It seemed to start about a week ago.

Yuck. That's not intended. :cry:

We'll see if we can sort that out and get back to you.

EDIT: This is fixed and the site will be updated shortly.

Edited by OpinioNate

I am not able to navigate the site very well. The first page loads, I can get to the forums (clearly :) ) but that seems about the extent of it. Categories are shown with zero entires. If I try to access waymarks I have added it says not authorized. If I try to access any one else's I get a server error. I did receive one email saying someone had visited the wm but could not access it from link in email. :cry:

This was a bug that happened because you had no home coordinates set. Sean isolated the problem and fixed it late Friday afternoon. Sorry for the confusion!

I thought this may have been related to what I've been experiencing, but it hasn't fixed it. I'm getting "runtime errors" throughout the site, to the point that it is unusable. I cannot:

- view or edit categories

- view or edit waymarks

- edit logs (although I can view them from My Details)

- view the Directory search page

Occasionally, I get a "directory listing denied" error instead of a runtime error. When I log out, though, I have no problems navigating the site.

I was creating a new waymark for the watermill category and saved without submitting. I uploaded about 6 photos to the gallery and used HTML to place some of them on the page and I used one as a default image. After I was about done I saved without submitting one more time and accidentally archived the waymark. I immediately went back and un-clicked the archive button but all of the photos in the gallery vanished except for the default photo it is still there. Oddly enough the four photos I added to the page in HTML still show up so they are uploaded somewhere but are not showing in the gallery. :laughing:

the waymark counts on 'owned marks" tab are not correct....

IE:

on my "visited marks" tab is says 77 KY historic markers

but i only "own" 33

i know i have logged some that i do not own, but the gap is not that large.

here is a link to my owned marks:Look at Ky Hist Markers. It says 33.

and one for my visits:see it says 73 markers.

and

here are the totals for KY Hisr Mkrs:

Kentucky Historic Markers User Rankings

Total Records: 4

rank username count

ChapterhouseInc 69

2 LSUMonica 5

3 Scook 2

4 snfromky 1

so then, this leads me to believe that i own 69 KY hist markers. see category here:Ky Hist Markers

i also thing that my grand total is also right....something in the"formula" is not right.....

when i go to "my waymarks" it says the correct number....

OK I'll try to describe this the best I can. When going to "Edit Account Details" page and editing whatever content necessary, the following page saying Your profile has been updated. View my profile shows up. However when I click on View My Profile to see what my changes look like, I get a 404 Page Not Found error. Not a huge deal because I can get to it another way, but thought I'd point it out. Thx.

I was creating a new waymark for the watermill category and saved without submitting. I uploaded about 6 photos to the gallery and used HTML to place some of them on the page and I used one as a default image. After I was about done I saved without submitting one more time and accidentally archived the waymark. I immediately went back and un-clicked the archive button but all of the photos in the gallery vanished except for the default photo it is still there. Oddly enough the four photos I added to the page in HTML still show up so they are uploaded somewhere but are not showing in the gallery. :)

It does look like the waymarks owned count is incorrect. I'll check this out.

A Bulleted List that displays fine on a Cache Page will not display on a Waymark page.

A short, one word, "Test" list displayed properly, but when I added the longer sentences I wanted in the list near the bottom of that page, the formatting was lost. :mad:

That same list displayed properly on a Cache page -- I tested it there first.

The Submit button does not work in the Opera browser. I opened FireFox to send messages to my Group members, but you might want to see what is wrong with the code. This is what I see -- the button is off-center, and "dead." icon_smile_dead.gif

d61e29ef-fb6a-4a15-bd43-45097f0cd3da.jpg

I also noticed a typo on one of the error messages for a variable on the "National Register of Historic Places" category.

Getting 403 error forbidden when trying to upload pictures today. Tried twice on an Ontario Historic Plaque and it goes through the upload sequence and then ends with the 403 forbidden message. Can't upload the required photo.

Minor bug - the links carried in the Waymark visit confirmation emails contain an unnecessary "bname=#####" cgi name/value pair. The ##### appears to be a zip code.

The additional bname argument isn't necessary in the links, and gets carried around when clicking forward through the link to other places on the Waymarking site. This results in the site behaving as if a location filter has been to the zip code specified by the bname argument.

<snip>

The Submit button does not work in the Opera browser. I opened FireFox to send messages to my Group members, but you might want to see what is wrong with the code. This is what I see -- the button is off-center, and "dead." icon_smile_dead.gif

d61e29ef-fb6a-4a15-bd43-45097f0cd3da.jpg

I also noticed a typo on one of the error messages for a variable on the "National Register of Historic Places" category.

I created a new group yesterday, "Bargain Hunters" and wanted to use the "Invite" feature, but it wouldn't work using Opera as my browser. The code has apparently been worked on because this time I didn't even get the image of the Submit button as I did in the previous screen shot. :laughing:

Getting 403 error forbidden when trying to upload pictures today. Tried twice on an Ontario Historic Plaque and it goes through the upload sequence and then ends with the 403 forbidden message. Can't upload the required photo.

Could it be that you were uploading a .BMP? In this case you should convert to .JPG or .GIF. Also, check to be sure you're not using an especially long filename.

Minor bug - the links carried in the Waymark visit confirmation emails contain an unnecessary "bname=#####" cgi name/value pair. The ##### appears to be a zip code.

The additional bname argument isn't necessary in the links, and gets carried around when clicking forward through the link to other places on the Waymarking site. This results in the site behaving as if a location filter has been to the zip code specified by the bname argument.

Sean says this will be fixed in the next release.

I created a new group yesterday, "Bargain Hunters" and wanted to use the "Invite" feature, but it wouldn't work using Opera as my browser. The code has apparently been worked on because this time I didn't even get the image of the Submit button as I did in the previous screen shot. :laughing:

Sean is going to download Opera and have a look. Given the left column will be removed in the next release of the site this will probably no longer be an issue, anyway.

i just submitted 2 NRHP marks, on both i designated a pic for display.

on both occasions i got the 'proximity alert', and added anyway.

upon viewing the marks, the pics were not displayed.

returning to the 'edit' page, the pic box was empty, i had to reselect and update the mark (re upload the pic)

could the 'proximity alert' not cause the display image boxes to reset?

There are 2 things about the Gallery feature that bug me.

1. When I click on "View Category Gallery" in a category, the pictures are not in order by submission date/time. I like to see the photos in chronological order of input like in benchmarking or geocaching; the first picture on the first screen is the very latest picture that was uploaded to Groundspeak. I cannot discern what the order currently is in the Waymarking Gallery.

2. In Waymarking gallery, if a picture was cropped to a different aspect ratio, there's a black square with the picure in the middle, often not veiwable at all. When you click the black thumbnail, the photo is OK, however.

There are 2 things about the Gallery feature that bug me.

1. When I click on "View Category Gallery" in a category, the pictures are not in order by submission date/time. I like to see the photos in chronological order of input like in benchmarking or geocaching; the first picture on the first screen is the very latest picture that was uploaded to Groundspeak. I cannot discern what the order currently is in the Waymarking Gallery.

That's odd. Not to worry, it works properly in the new version of the site which should be released soon.

2. In Waymarking gallery, if a picture was cropped to a different aspect ratio, there's a black square with the picure in the middle, often not veiwable at all. When you click the black thumbnail, the photo is OK, however.

The new gallery features mouseover popups of the images (think: geocaching.com log images) which should make this less of an annoyance.

Minor issue.

When I received the Category Accepted in Peer Review email/links, I went to the comments page using the link given. Most probably can't see this link unless they are a leader or member of the group I think. Anyhow the page says total records 51 and 2 pages. When I go to the second page it is blank.

This made me wonder and so I counted 49 records showing on the first page. It appears the other 2 didn't make it onto the second page of records for some reason.

OK I'll try to describe this the best I can. When going to "Edit Account Details" page and editing whatever content necessary, the following page saying Your profile has been updated. View my profile shows up. However when I click on View My Profile to see what my changes look like, I get a 404 Page Not Found error. Not a huge deal because I can get to it another way, but thought I'd point it out. Thx.

Error is still occuring.

After editing my profile on Waymarking.com, I get a 404 error when trying to view my changes.

Here's the link I'm clicking after editing my profile:

viewprofilewc1.jpg

Here's the page I get:

404yw7.jpg

I can get around it by clicking "Home" at the top left, then my name at the top right, but figured I'd report it.

:lol:

Error is still occuring.

After editing my profile on Waymarking.com, I get a 404 error when trying to view my changes.

Here's the link I'm clicking after editing my profile:

viewprofilewc1.jpg

Here's the page I get:

404yw7.jpg

I can get around it by clicking "Home" at the top left, then my name at the top right, but figured I'd report it.

:lol:

I was getting same error over the weekend. If I clicked "return to my page" it works fine

FWIW, it's not a drop-dead bug, but a constant annoyance.

after selecting "united states" from the country drop-down, the whole form appears to refresh (firefox) and the input focus is lost. It has always been so. I would not be suprised to see it go away, but would like to mention it anyway just because that's what users do...