Recommend A Day-pack?

markp99

I'm looking for a nice-sized day-pack to carry my Digital SLR, PDA, cache swag, etc. I don't typically carry extra lenses or much other camera equipment (besides a couple filters). My caching trips are usually limited to ~1/2-day jaunts. I've been loading my pockets with suff and leaving the camera behind lately - not a good arrangement - I missed some great photo-ops last time out.

I've looked at a few "camera backpacks". They mostly seemed to be too big/bulky, too small or just plain fugly. I am looking for something light but functional. Padding for my camera is only mildly important (I have padding segments from other camera bags I can reuse here).

Do you use a daypack? How do you carry your STUFF? Do you carry an SLR-sized camera?

Suggestions?

My wife and I use Mountainsmith packs, the same ones we used for wilderness Search and Rescue. She uses the "Tour" (488 cu/in) and I use the "Day" (854 cu/in) and we like them both. They can be used with or without a shoulder harness, hold two water bottles and have 2 nice size compartments. They also have lumbar support.

I use a Mountainsmith Approach II, but I think it might be a bit large for your planned use. Mountainsmith makes other very good packs. They have nice pack made specifically for camera equipment (the detachable SLR case is a cool feature). The Mountainsmith Chute is not camera specific, but is a good smaller pack with some great features.

Gregory also makes some well thought out, solidly built packs.

Edited by briansnat

A Camel back can be a great way to go, but there are several companies making packs now with hydration systems included, or that have a space included for a Hydration cell.

One approach may be to take the gear you want to carry to your local outdoor equipment shop and try out several packs to see which one suits your needs the best.

I own several day packs and I find myself using differants ones depending on how long I am going out for, some times I just carry a fanny pack. I did buy a Nikon D-50 last December but I have not used it much for geocacing. It has been raining to much and I am not to crazy about taking it out in the rain, besides I went back to work :) That will cut into your cache time, what was I thinking. :grin:

Yes, working is way over-rated! :grin:

I was unemployed for 6 month last year, but this was before I was bitten by the geocaching bug!

I didn't bring my Nikon D70 out last weekend and I am sorry. I came upon a nice pond area with lots recent of beaver activity. It would have made for a few great shots! Iplan to get back out there thi weekend, but the weather may not cooperate.

I've got a camelbak too. Not very big, but enough room for my camera, extra batts, 2 liters of water, swag, some snacks, first aid kit and a raincoat in a stuff sack.

I picked it up at Eastern Mountain Sports on clearance 2 years ago. Any outdoor store should carry them or something similar. Make sure you try it on in the store with some weight in it befor you buy.

Edited by Team Wildebeest

One thought. If you are carrying expensive camera equipment, you might want to avoid packs that have internal hydration bladders, or remove the bladder when you have your camera equipment in the bag.

Though the chance is small, the possibility exists that the bladder can be punctured by something in the pack, or ruptured during a fall (the latter happened to me once), which could ruin your equipment.

I personally like packs that give me the option of carrying my water in an internal hydration bladder, or in external water bottle pockets. The Mountainsmith Chute that I linked to above is a good example of that kind of pack.

Edited by briansnat

Brilliant minds think alike. My wife always asks, "how many packs do you need?"- Women, can't live....

Camelbak HAWG is my favorite, i seem to have one for 3 of 4 seasons. A MOUNTAINSMITH butt pack that's going on 10 years was great in the beginning, but I needed more room. My all time favorite for lots of gear and water is a BLACKHAWK PHOENIX. I've got an issued first generation GI pack that took the place of the old ALICE large ruck, has a detachable daypack. Great concept, most uncomftable day pack. Not for geocaching unless you have a cache on K2.

Something I learned years ago on a hiking trip with my Uncle Sam, big packs are great, but the more room, the more gear. The more gear, the more weight.The more weight... So, unless you're invading Normandy, remember what you carry in, you gotta carry out.

Size does matter, but also look at the straps, padding and adjustment. You can't just walk in and take it off the shelf, try it on. I've seen guys with packs that look cool, but at the end of the day their arms and back are sore

and they looked like old men with hunched backs. :laughing:

I have a couple of packs, including the Mountainsmith Apporach II, but my favorite for a single day hike / tourist travel / geocaching excursion is my Jansport Solstice 33. It is very light, has a nice comparment for a hydration system, side pockets for water bottles, a main compartment with two smaller compartments that are great for gadgets and often needed items, a small copartment at the very top which is great for a CD player/I-pod and ice axe loop that I use to carry my hiking staff.

I also have a Camelbak M.U.L.E that gets the most use. I have quite a few others but this is perfect for 95% of the time.. Just purchased the redesigned model and their has been a lot of improvements over the older style.. I am keeping my older one but the newer style is Highly recommended!!