Waymarks

I notice when you look at a waymark some of them tell you what you have to do to qualify and some of them don't say anything is there a general rule that applys to logging a waymark

The specific requirements for both creating a new waymark and logging a visit to an existing waymark are up to the category owner. The requirements vary from category to category - some are much stricter than others.

The best thing to do is to click on the details link for each category to get the specifics.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all evolves once the new category creation and management features are put in place. But so far, when it comes to creating new waymarks in existing categories, the requirements tend to include all or some of the following:

Coordinates (all require this)

Picture of the waymark (most require this)

Some additional information about the waymark (most require some form of this)

Other requirements I have seen:

Picture of waymark with GPSr in the picture

Picture of waymark with me and my GPSr in the picture

Picture of surrounding area

It sounds harder than it is. For the categories I am interested in, I generally check the detailed requirements ahead of time so I know what to do when I locate a new instance of that type of Waymark. If I find a new Waymark in a category that I'm not familiar with, I try to take a picture of everything, including a shot which includes me and my GPSr.

So far this strategy has worked pretty well for me.

I notice when you look at a waymark some of them tell you what you have to do to qualify and some of them don't say anything is there a general rule that applys to logging a waymark

The specific requirements for both creating a new waymark and logging a visit to an existing waymark are up to the category owner. The requirements vary from category to category - some are much stricter than others.

The best thing to do is to click on the details link for each category to get the specifics.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all evolves once the new category creation and management features are put in place. But so far, when it comes to creating new waymarks in existing categories, the requirements tend to include all or some of the following:

Coordinates (all require this)

Picture of the waymark (most require this)

Some additional information about the waymark (most require some form of this)

Other requirements I have seen:

Picture of waymark with GPSr in the picture

Picture of waymark with me and my GPSr in the picture

Picture of surrounding area

It sounds harder than it is. For the categories I am interested in, I generally check the detailed requirements ahead of time so I know what to do when I locate a new instance of that type of Waymark. If I find a new Waymark in a category that I'm not familiar with, I try to take a picture of everything, including a shot which includes me and my GPSr.

So far this strategy has worked pretty well for me.

yes, once you have posted in a category, you 'know what you need to do', and with unknown ones you must get 'extra' stuff--to make sure you have the requirements. i do believe that the 'me with gps' pic (and even the gps pic, to an extent) is outdated....take myself for instance, i cache/waymark alone a lot of times....how am i to take a pic of myself with gps at some locations? if it is obvious that the info was not 'taken' from the web, then the marks should be ok....i have a masonic lodge that was denied because i forgot to take a pic of my gps.....

when i post a waymark (ie: historic marker) i focus on the marker itself. thinking that anyone who visits 'my mark' will fill in the other information: pics of surrounding area and other bits of interest...i had the fun of finding the mark, so others should have the opportunity to 'find something new' to add to the waymark.