Specific Functions In An Inexpensive Starter Gpsr

Scapers

I've been searching all around the forums for suggestions about which GPSr under $200 has the best features. Many "which-to-buy" topics are too broad, so I'm still going around in circles about which GPSr I should get my younger sister for her college graduation. I have the eXplorist 500--my first. My boyfriend has the MeriPlat. So I'm spoiled by expandable memory, autorouting, exchangable maps, compass, etc. and I wish I could afford to get my sister at least the explorist 500, but I can't. And, I never had the experience of geocaching and navigating with anything else, so I can't judge very well which unit is "good enough". I'd hate to get her one only to find out later that if I had spent just a little more, she could have had this or that feature. So, I'm looking for recommendations from experienced GPS users.

Here's what I would love it to have:

1. Basemap and detail map capability, not plotter (therefore no eXplorist 100).

2. Computer download capability (to easily download geocaches, detail maps)

3. Electronic compass

4. Auto-routing capability

The basemap I like because she loves to hike and bike and not just geocache.

The computer downloading is handy.

Now, is a compass necessary? I imagine she'd be just fine with a separate compass for finding geocaches, but the all-in-one aspect is nice. I believe the eXplorist 210 has all of the above except the compass. I am unfamiliar with the Garmins, but the eTrex and Legends don't appear to have a compass (or autorouting?).

The auto-routing would be great because I love that feature for finding nearby restaurants, directions to a museum or hotel in another city that I'm visiting. However, she can always get this feature when she upgrades someday. Plus, if the unit can support detail maps, at least she can have a map handy at all times.

So, what are my best options for a unit with 1,2, & 3 and for one with all four features?

Thanks for your help!

Well, I have a Lowrance H2O+. I got it with mapping software, SD card & reader, and a 12V power cord for about $200. It can't do autorouting and doesn't have a magnetic compass, but it's a nice unit for $200. It has a decent basemap and detailed maps with Mapcreate and the memory card lets you upload waypoints and store maps. It's easy to use, and very capable. However, if she will be with you a lot you might want to get her the same brand as yours so that the commands are similiar. That way, you can teach her how to use it.

Personally, I rarely want the magnetic compass. If I have a decent GPS signal and am moving at all, even walking, I can get a direction reading. I have a compass in my geocaching pack, but I rarely use it. Autorouting would be nice, but I find I can navigate pretty well with just the direction arrow. I have yet to see an autorouting unit for under $200.

I hope that helps. There are a lot of really nice units out there.

Here is an eBay "Buy It Now" auction for a Garmin eTrex Legend C, which can auto-route with the optional City Select maps installed. It is $198.00, with $12.50 for shipping.

I have the Vista C and really like the auto-routing feature, but then I am often traveling in unfamiliar areas.

The Legend C does not have the compass, but it does come with a basemap installed.

If you are trying to keep it under $200, then I think you'll have to forget about the electronic compass. That tends to be a higher-end bell (or whistle...not sure which).

If you like your 500, the 210 will be a non-expandable memory version of what you've got. It seems like the 210 owners are usually pretty happy with the unit.

Whatever you get, don't worry too much about getting the perfect unit. Even if your sister only uses it for 6 months and she trades up to something she *really* likes, the starter unit will have served as a valuable stepping-stone (and you can probably recover most of the cost selling it on ebay).

I agree with Embra that the electronic/magnetic compass isn't essential. Note that your eXplorist 500 does not have one, so if you haven't missed it too much then your sister probably won't either. Normally I'd recommend the Garmin LegendC over the eXplorist 210 (color screen, better auto-routing), but since you're more familiar with Magellans the 210 might be better in your case. That way you could more easily help your sister if she has any problems and share experiences with software and other accessories.

I have yet to see an autorouting unit for under $200.

The eXplorist 210 autoroutes and runs $150-$175. Actually, I see that Circuit City has it on sale and in stock at their stores near me for $156. Since you are familiar with the eXplorist line, I concur with Peter that it would probably be wise for you to buy the 210. Instead of the 2 of you trying to learn a Garmin, you'll be able to teach sis based on first-hand knowledge of your 500. As for maps, DirectRoute v2 (on CD) is $70-80 right now, and DirectRoute v3 (on DVD) I've seen for $110. Do note that Magellan only allows you to use the software with one receiver. So you can't share maps with your sister. Magellan stinks that way.

I agree with Embra that the electronic/magnetic compass isn't essential. Note that your eXplorist 500 does not have one, so if you haven't missed it too much then your sister probably won't either. Normally I'd recommend the Garmin LegendC over the eXplorist 210 (color screen, better auto-routing), but since you're more familiar with Magellans the 210 might be better in your case. That way you could more easily help your sister if she has any problems and share experiences with software and other accessories.

Thank you all for your replies. I think the compass isn't necessary for her first unit. You're right, I don't miss it in mine, although we have noticed that it's handy in the MeriPlat when searching for geocaches among boulder rocks, for example, when I can't move around much to get a direction signal on the 500. But lacking a compass may just add a few extra minutes to the chase, which is just fine. :grin:

As for the Magellan vs. Garmin, I am leaning towards the Magellan for all the reasons people have suggested, however, since she and I are in different states anyway, all help will have to be over the phone. I like what I'm reading about Garmins and I think she'll figure them out with no problem. Still, I'd lean toward the 210 except that I now have a new scenario. My brother has expressed interest in a gps as well (both of them visited and loved the geocaching). In his case however, he absolutely needs the autorouting. He wants to geocache, too, but he has no sense of direction when driving. He can't afford the large car ones, which would be great, but he can pull over and use the handhelds when he needs it. He's willing to spend $300. Now, if autorouting in a handheld is the primary concern, are the Garmins better than Magellans? If so, perhaps I should recommend a Garmin for him and get a Garmin for my sister and then they can share software for now (Garmin supports 2 gpsr, right?) and learn together (they are in the same city).

One thing that bothers me about Magellan's Mapsend is that in the turn-by-turn directions, long street names or exits are cut off and there's no way to scroll over to see the whole name. Not usually a big deal for me, but for my brother, it may be. Is this a problem with the Garmin software?

Another thing that bothers me is that there's no option to select alternoute routes on the fly (e.g. avoid highways) with MapSend. I've read on the forums that it's possible in the Garmins. Handy feature.

Thanks again!

Now, if autorouting in a handheld is the primary concern, are the Garmins better than Magellans? If so, perhaps I should recommend a Garmin for him and get a Garmin for my sister and then they can share software for now (Garmin supports 2 gpsr, right?) and learn together (they are in the same city).

One thing that bothers me about Magellan's Mapsend is that in the turn-by-turn directions, long street names or exits are cut off and there's no way to scroll over to see the whole name. Not usually a big deal for me, but for my brother, it may be. Is this a problem with the Garmin software?

Another thing that bothers me is that there's no option to select alternoute routes on the fly (e.g. avoid highways) with MapSend. I've read on the forums that it's possible in the Garmins. Handy feature.

Thanks again!

Check out this helpful topic, which compares Magellan autorouting to Garmin. If autorouting is a person's primary use of a GPSr, I'd go Garmin. And yes, Garmin allows you to use their maps on 2 receivers.

Your reasoning regarding autorouting seems sound to me.

I give a good recommendation for the Garmin Quest; I'm not sure of pricing but I think it can be had for something in the $325-$350 range. That's a wee bit more than the $300 you specified, but it's a fairly full-featured autorouter (includes voice prompts, a *very* nice feature), includes software (indeed, it's a pretty complete package), and it can be used as a handheld for geocaching, too, if one wanted.

Edited by embra

Yes, the new scenario changes my recommendation as well. The Quest mentioned by Embra would be an excellent choice for your brother since it includes all the needed accessories for driving: CitySelect-NA map software, a mount for the car, and a 12 VDC power cord (which also includes the speaker for voice directions). And it's still a very compact and pocketable unit for geocaching or other handheld uses such as finding your way back to your car parking spot.

The included CitySelect maps could also be used in a second Garmin receiver, such as a LegendC or LegendCx, which are more specifically targeted for handheld use and seem like good choices for your sister.

Yes, the new scenario changes my recommendation as well. The Quest mentioned by Embra would be an excellent choice for your brother since it includes all the needed accessories for driving: CitySelect-NA map software, a mount for the car, and a 12 VDC power cord (which also includes the speaker for voice directions). And it's still a very compact and pocketable unit for geocaching or other handheld uses such as finding your way back to your car parking spot.

The included CitySelect maps could also be used in a second Garmin receiver, such as a LegendC or LegendCx, which are more specifically targeted for handheld use and seem like good choices for your sister.

Is it true that the Legend C but not the Legend supports turn-by-turn routing?

Is it true that the Legend C but not the Legend supports turn-by-turn routing?

Yes, the grey-scale Legend can be loaded with some (limit of 8 MB) detailed maps but it can't calculate a route from A to B. The color versions LegendC, LegendCx do have the auto-routing feature. The 'C' is limited to 24 MB of downloaded maps while the 'Cx' can be expanded with microSD cards (comes with a 32 MB card and 1 GB cards are now available).