"pointer" Software For Pda (and A Search Function Moan!)

Alboy

Hi

I use Memory Map on a PDA to cache with, and the Goto Mark funtion to bring up the arrow and distance bits required.

However I am going to France for a wedding soon, and don't have, or intend to buy maps for France for the few days I am there, but it would be nice if there was a piece of free software that would allow me to enter a co-ord and give me an arrow and distance to the co-ord. Thre's a couple of interesting caches nearby I'd like to do.

Does anything like that exist? I'm sure it must, just not heard of it yet?

BTW am I the only person really frustrated by the 4 letter minimum search requirements?! It's so annoying not being able to use GPS, PDA, Map etc in your search criteria!

Hi

I use Memory Map on a PDA to cache with, and the Goto Mark funtion to bring up the arrow and distance bits required.

You can still do this with Memory-Map. Just create a mark, and edit the waypoint details to be the cache location. Just because you don't have the map doesn't mean the navigation doesn't work.

Some of the other suggestions will be more elegant though.

I second stuey I've used Memory-Map without maps it's just fine - you could buy the £20 MM of Europe direct from the MM web site. It's 1:1m but fairly detailed similar in quality to a Michelin road map - at least it will show you which field to look in. Its whole of Europe including all the Eastern block countries - money well spent - your'e bound to return and it's great for route planning.

I Use GPX view http://strandberg.org/gpxview/ (cachemate just crashes on my PDA:( ) and Vito navigator II http://www.vitotechnology.com , the latter has a simple distance & time to location with a nice big arrow pointing in the direction to travel. along with other features such as compass, speedometer etc. The older version is free, but I think vII is well worth the few pounds to register, although it is free for 14 days

Hi

However I am going to France for a wedding soon, and don't have, or intend to buy maps for France for the few days I am there, but it would be nice if there was a piece of free software that would allow me to enter a co-ord and give me an arrow and distance to the co-ord. Thre's a couple of interesting caches nearby I'd like to do.

Does anything like that exist? I'm sure it must, just not heard of it yet?

BTW am I the only person really frustrated by the 4 letter minimum search requirements?! It's so annoying not being able to use GPS, PDA, Map etc in your search criteria!