Any Advice Welcome

Hm, very new to this and its taken me 45 mins to work out how to get on the forum, and for that reason, any one will work out that I need advice with regard to which GPS to buy. ive been borrowing a friends ETREX, all I can tell you is its yellow, doesnt have a map on the background and I have to punch the co-ordinates in by hand. I dont have a price limit and would rather spend a bit more now than be itching to update it in a couple of years. Colour would be good and one with a good reception in tree cover? One that has an attatchment for bike handle bars would be handy but not essesntial. Can any one help. Thanks. Mazza.

Hm, very new to this and its taken me 45 mins to work out how to get on the forum, and for that reason, any one will work out that I need advice with regard to which GPS to buy. ive been borrowing a friends ETREX, all I can tell you is its yellow, doesnt have a map on the background and I have to punch the co-ordinates in by hand. I dont have a price limit and would rather spend a bit more now than be itching to update it in a couple of years. Colour would be good and one with a good reception in tree cover? One that has an attatchment for bike handle bars would be handy but not essesntial. Can any one help. Thanks. Mazza.

Probably the best GPS reciever you can get at the moment is the garmin GPSmap60csx.

You will be able to get one for <£400, so it isn't cheap.

It does however have the ability to install detailed maps (sold seperately), it has alarge colour screen, and has a very VERY sensitive reviever. It can get a good fix in the thickest of tree cover, and some users here even get a good fix in their houses!

If money is really no objuct, than I don't think you could do much worse that that model.

GK

No price limit, then it has to be a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

Well impressed, with the responses so quick! Thanks every one. The 'No price limit' bit may have come across a little frivilous, I should have added a 'within reason'.

The GPSmap60csx sound like the all singing all dancing gaget. I made use of the suggestion from Nedia and looked at the link. Would I be right in saying that its its memory capability, good screen and batery life that sets it apart from the rest ? I asume that you can add maps to the memory which is what I would like because I do tend to walk in the straight line My bog standard GPS tells me to, which has got me in to some dodgy ground on occasions! I'm not to sure how the mapping bit works, do you buy that separately and add it via the computer? and is it very expensive. (You may now be realising how completely technolagy iliterate I am) Oh and is the 60CSX one that you dont have to be moving for the compass to work.

Hope this doesnt come across as lazy, being that Im sure I could find this out elsewhere but you guys obviously know your stuff.

Cheers

Mazza ;)

But be absolutely certain to buy Garmin. Their after-sales service is astonishing - they recently replaced our 10-year old GPS with a brand-spanking new one at no charge because of a very minor problem which didn't even render the device unserviceable. This sort of service has been enjoyed by many other people too.

No price limit, then it has to be a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

Well impressed, with the responses so quick! Thanks every one. The 'No price limit' bit may have come across a little frivilous, I should have added a 'within reason'.

The GPSmap60csx sound like the all singing all dancing gaget. I made use of the suggestion from Nedia and looked at the link. Would I be right in saying that its its memory capability, good screen and batery life that sets it apart from the rest ? I asume that you can add maps to the memory which is what I would like because I do tend to walk in the straight line My bog standard GPS tells me to, which has got me in to some dodgy ground on occasions! I'm not to sure how the mapping bit works, do you buy that separately and add it via the computer? and is it very expensive. (You may now be realising how completely technolagy iliterate I am) Oh and is the 60CSX one that you dont have to be moving for the compass to work.

Hope this doesnt come across as lazy, being that Im sure I could find this out elsewhere but you guys obviously know your stuff.

Cheers

Mazza ;)

Yes, the CSX has the magnetic electronic compas buit in and a baromoter for measuring altitude (or change in) more accurately. If you don't want to pay for those features, the cx does away with those two extras. The 'x' bit means that the unit has a slot for expandable memory, along with the buil in memory. This is usuful if you are touring and want to pre-load maps onto cards, as space is limited on the machine. The 'x' series also has a vastly upgraded chipset for faster calculation or road routes and better reception.

The maps are sold seperately and are installed into a program you run on your PC. The unit can link to the PC via USB leads and maps and waypoints etc can be transferred.

Thanks for the info. I have had a brouse at the price of the 60CSx and it looks as though £450 is the going rate in the UK. I clicked on one of the advertisements on this website which was Adventurestation.com Its clearly a US company and its on there for $399 dollars. Would there be any reason that you couldn't get it from the US? Im guessing maybe the base map would not cover the UK or something?

The other thing that puzzles me is the maps that you buy and down load. They are pretty expensive so it would be logical that you might buy a package with a friend and both download from it. I'm guessing though that that is a naive statement and there is some reason that you cant do this.

Can anyone enlighten me with regard to my blonde questions.

Thanks again.

Mazza.

Thanks for the info. I have had a brouse at the price of the 60CSx and it looks as though £450 is the going rate in the UK. I clicked on one of the advertisements on this website which was Adventurestation.com Its clearly a US company and its on there for $399 dollars. Would there be any reason that you couldn't get it from the US? Im guessing maybe the base map would not cover the UK or something?

The other thing that puzzles me is the maps that you buy and down load. They are pretty expensive so it would be logical that you might buy a package with a friend and both download from it. I'm guessing though that that is a naive statement and there is some reason that you cant do this.

Thanks again.

Mazza.

I think there is a place in Leeds doing them for £360

Edited by Moote.

Thanks again.

Mazza.

Garmin have a very complex method of coupon codes and unlock codes to stop that kind of thing. A copy of software like Metro Guide does not need any unlocking, but won't let the unit calculate road routes. City Select will, but a copy of the software can only be run on two units, both having to be registered with the owner. I honestly don't know if Garmin will mind one owner having two units, but the owner letting somebody else use one... :lol:

If you want topographical data as well as road data, you might want to consider Topo GB v2.

Importing units from america has one problem, the basemap will be in america, and no basemap data will cover the UK. This might not be much of an issue if you plan on dowloading detailed maps on to the unit.

I hope I have helped, and not confused the situation further!

No, thats been very helpfull, and Ive impressed myself that I sort of worked out the america thing myself! It stands to reason though, like you say that if you buy the device from America ($400 so about £240) and then buy the map data to down load, The one recomended, Topo gb V2 for £150 (total roughly £400) You've got a top of the range gaget and comprehensive map for a v. reasonable price.

Can any one tell me if I'm missing something crucial.

Cheers.

No, thats been very helpfull, and Ive impressed myself that I sort of worked out the america thing myself! It stands to reason though, like you say that if you buy the device from America ($400 so about £240) and then buy the map data to down load, The one recomended, Topo gb V2 for £150 (total roughly £400) You've got a top of the range gaget and comprehensive map for a v. reasonable price.

Can any one tell me if I'm missing something crucial.

Cheers.

Unless any import tax or duty needs to be paid, I dont know!

Garmin have a very complex method of coupon codes and unlock codes to stop that kind of thing. A copy of software like Metro Guide does not need any unlocking, but won't let the unit calculate road routes. City Select will, but a copy of the software can only be run on two units, both having to be registered with the owner. I honestly don't know if Garmin will mind one owner having two units, but the owner letting somebody else use one... :lol:

If you want topographical data as well as road data, you might want to consider Topo GB v2.

Importing units from america has one problem, the basemap will be in america, and no basemap data will cover the UK. This might not be much of an issue if you plan on dowloading detailed maps on to the unit.

I hope I have helped, and not confused the situation further!

If you own 2 Garmin units that "share" one of Garmin's high end software for auto-routing, you can, with Garmin's blessing, sell off the units, each with a copy of the relevent unlock code. The reason that Garmin do not mind is that the unlocking process fixes the software to the actual serial number of the GPS units. It will never work with any other unit.

The actual software discs are not protected - they can be readily duplicated. Of course, the codes will only enable the software to work with the GPS units to which it was unlocked.

I have done this before now, selling a StreetPilot 3 with the City Navigator V6 software (informing the buyer that both unlocks were used) and transferring the registration with Garmin. In accordance with advice from Garmin, I retained copies of the software discs and codes to enable me to continue using the CN software with my Vista C.

Since then, I have bought a Streetpilot 2610 with CN V7. I unlocked this to work with the SP and Vista C.

With the recent upgrade to CN V8, I have "upgraded" my hand held by buying a Vista Cx. I've got the V8 update unlocked to use it with the SP 2610 and the new Vista Cx.

Soon I will be offering my redundant Vista C for sale complete with a street-legal, original version of City Navigator Europe V7. Ownership will be formally notified to Garmin.

The CN V7 software enables the Vista C to provide full autorouting for anywhere in Europe down to street level. The 24mb internal memory holds about 1/4 of the UK at a time - quite enough for our pushbikes!

I will offer the unit and software for sale here on this forum first - this is an informed audience who should realise what a unique opportunity this is. Any wanting more info, PM me for an info doc...

I am living in the US at the moment, and have just bought a Garmin 60CSx, I had a Garmin Vista before which I really liked due to its size, but I broke it, tried to repair it myself (big mistake) and made things even worse so bought the 60CSX. This unit is a little larger but picks up a lock in next to no time compared to the Vista, even indoors (provided you have a reasonable sized window in the room!).

I paid $499 for mine (plus tax) from a shop called REI, I probably could have got it for less but they gave a fantastic returns policy (a bit like M&S). The unit that I bought as standard comes with a US base map (the UK unit I think comes with a UK or European base map), this has only motorways and towns on it, so I upgraded to the Garmin TOPO for the whole of the US ($80). Compared to a normal OS map this map is basic to say the least, but it has enough on there to find your way around. Look on the Garmin web site (www.garmin.com) and you can actually zoom in and look at what your area looks like with different Garmin maps.

Unfortunately, the only maps that you can download to Garmin Units are the Garmin maps, you can use other maps to plan you trips and then download the coordinates, but the only ones that you can see on the screen of the GPS are the ones form Garmin.

The unit has enough memory to load quite a large area, but if you feel that you need more you can add more memory at a later date for a relatively small cost.

Overall I am really pleased with the Garmin 60CSx, and would not hesitate to recommend it, the ONLY downside (ignoring cost) over the Vista is size of the 60 is a little larger.

Take a look at the Garmin website, the Garmin 60 CSx is http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/

If you don't want the compass or altimeter, you can save $50 in the US and go for the http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cx/ , although I had problems finding one.

I think that if you but the correct add on Garmin map, you can do turn by turn road navigation with these units, I have not got it to work yet.

With the Vista, when I was in the UK, I bought the Memory Map OS TOPO maps of my part of the UK (1:50K), plan a route on these and download the waypoints, them follow the arrow on the GPS. There are cheaper ways, but I am lazy and this worked really well.

All prices in the US are always plus tax, which I think in California is about 8%.

Good luck.

Unfortunately, the only maps that you can download to Garmin Units are the Garmin maps, you can use other maps to plan you trips and then download the coordinates, but the only ones that you can see on the screen of the GPS are the ones form Garmin.

I've just got the UK TOPO map and am pretty impressed bearing in mind I'll be using it with a paper map

The unit has enough memory to load quite a large area, but if you feel that you need more you can add more memory at a later date for a relatively small cost.

I've loaded all of Devon 3rd largest county in England in the 64Mb

Overall I am really pleased with the Garmin 60CSx, and would not hesitate to recommend it, the ONLY downside (ignoring cost) over the Vista is size of the 60 is a little larger.

I'm new to GPS but have been mountaineering for years. With good solid navigation skills this bit of kit is awsome.

Take a look at the Garmin website, the Garmin 60 CSx is http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/

If you don't want the compass or altimeter, you can save $50 in the US and go for the http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cx/ , although I had problems finding one.

I think that if you but the correct add on Garmin map, you can do turn by turn road navigation with these units, I have not got it to work yet.

UK TOPO works a treat plug in a start point and a finish point and off you go. I 've even been taking wrong turns to see what it will do but the darn thing finds you a new route. It bleeps at you before you need to turn other units have a nice lady to chat to you. I prefer the bleeps.