My New 76csx Is Coming. What To Do First?

dhbaird

My new 76CSX arrives tomorrow via Fed ex. I have to be up and running in a very little time as I hit the road for a business trip later the next day. Given the bugs that people are reporting what should I do to avoid problems wheil I am out on the road.

Which firmwre should I be looking for?

Any set-up tweaks I should do to make things go more smoothly as we wait for the other patches?

I have backed my old unit up, have all the routes for this trip pre-planned in MapSource and ready for a d/l. Have the Geocache stuff ready in GSAK.

Other recommendations?

Other recommendations?

Download the latest firmware. Decide whether you want STICK TO ROADS on or off. Turn off the compass. Leave the color schemes on default.

I dont know anything about your GPS ...I just read the end of the big post below ;)

da Pupster

PS: Dont check tidal stations from the third floor of reinforced concrete buildings (?) or it wills start to smoke.

Turn it on, and let it "bake" under an open sky for about 20 minutes to download a good almanac from the satellites.

If you're into saving your tracks, CLICK HERE to download the the latest firmware update (GPSMAP 76CSx software version 2.62 Beta as of March 9, 2006). That will allow you to setup track logging onto the memory card. If you do this, be sure to save a few megs for the .gpx files.

CLICK HERE to read Sputnik 57's Frequently Asked Questions about Garmin Map60CS (and Similar) GPS Receivers! Lots of good tips, hints and tricks compiled from the forum and put into one neat little Web page!

Yep, Bake it and calibrate the compass (and calibrate after every battery change)

Are people using the Garmin Auto Updater program to load in the 2.62 beta or are they doing it manually by downloading the file and unzipping it and clicking on Updater?

First thing you should do is take it out of the box. :lol:

Learn how to use it. Will not do you any good if you do not spend some time with it and familiarize yourself with the functions of the unit.

I am hoping that my 3 1/2 month stint with a 76CS will solve that part of the equation. I was more interested in hearing from folks that have the new X models who have been talking about turning certain things off and on while the unit firmware is still has bugs. Like I hope that the SIRF people and Garmin will post a fix to having to turn the unit completely off and then back on if the unit loses satellites.

In the meantime, while we are waiting for those kind of fixes...

Do I keep WAAS on or Off?

Does Track up work or not?

Any other default settings that might give me trouble with the 2.62 Beta release?

I loved my 76Cs... I just need more memory than it came with and I am planning on a couple different MicroSD chips with different sets of maps, routes, tracks and custom POI's loaded so I can quickly swap between work routing and travel and gong hiking and GeoCaching.

I just don't want to get frustrated with settings that other folks know don't work.

Edited by dhbaird

Any other default settings that might give me trouble with the 2.62 Beta release?

I went from 60CS to 60CSx and there's very little new information to absorb.

I leave WAAS on, although isn't actually working much of the time (but the accuracy is amazing anyway).

Track Up works just fine.

I've found nothing on the downside since using 2.62.

I went from 60CS to 60CSx and there's very little new information to absorb.

I leave WAAS on, although isn't actually working much of the time (but the accuracy is amazing anyway).

Track Up works just fine.

I've found nothing on the downside since using 2.62.

thanks... that is the information I was looking for.

If you're into saving your tracks, CLICK HERE to download the the latest firmware update (GPSMAP 76CSx software version 2.62 Beta as of March 9, 2006). That will allow you to setup track logging onto the memory card. If you do this, be sure to save a few megs for the .gpx files.

Can you save "unlimited" to the memory card? I mean, is the 10000 trackolg entries still the limit?

Turn it on, and let it "bake" under an open sky for about 20 minutes to download a good almanac from the satellites.

CLICK HERE to read Sputnik 57's Frequently Asked Questions about Garmin Map60CS (and Similar) GPS Receivers! Lots of good tips, hints and tricks compiled from the forum and put into one neat little Web page!

I have the beta firmware file ready to load in this afternoon. I have Sputnik's page savedin my favorites already. But I am interested in your comment "save a few megs for the gpx files"... Are you talking about uploading from GSAK or something similar or are you actually saying that the gpx files can be copied directly to the card?

I haven't even broached the subject of the compat. between GSAK and the new 76csx. Can I upload directly through GSAK or do I have to bring them into Mapsource and then into the GPSr?

Can you save "unlimited" to the memory card? I mean, is the 10000 trackolg entries still the limit?

This is still the limit for the internal memory (so on the unit itself you will never see more than 10,000 points).

But at the same time the unlimited log is written to the SD card (if you enable that), using a filename of the current date (so one logfile contains a maximum of 24 hours).

You can then download the logs and use them on your PC.

First thing you should do is take it out of the box. <_<

Learn how to use it. Will not do you any good if you do not spend some time with it and familiarize yourself with the functions of the unit.

I am hoping that my 3 1/2 month stint with a 76CS will solve that part of the equation. I was more interested in hearing from folks that have the new X models who have been talking about turning certain things off and on while the unit firmware is still has bugs. Like I hope that the SIRF people and Garmin will post a fix to having to turn the unit completely off and then back on if the unit loses satellites.

In the meantime, while we are waiting for those kind of fixes...

I loved my 76Cs... I just need more memory than it came with and I am planning on a couple different MicroSD chips with different sets of maps, routes, tracks and custom POI's loaded so I can quickly swap between work routing and travel and gong hiking and GeoCaching.

I just don't want to get frustrated with settings that other folks know don't work.

I have the Garmin 76CSx, I upgraded form my 76CS. I've had no problems with any of the mentioned problems here or anywhere. It was an easy transfer to my new 76 GPS. I have left everything on defaut as of so far. As for the updates I put them in manually, I really don't like the auto updater IMO. I also use an 512mb memory card and use the USB cable to upload the maps and waypoints with no problems. Hope this helps.