Radioworld Rant

TeamHardK

:lol:

Last weekend I went to Radioworld's store in Toronto looking to pick up a Garmin 60Cx, and the sales guy asks me a bunch of questions as to what I plan to do with it. So I tell him that I want to use if for mountain biking (and I made it clear that there would be heavy tree cover), some hiking and some geocaching. He then asked me how far I was going to do this stuff and how many maps I'd need loaded, we went through Mapsource and selected the area's I'd need and it would easily fit into the 56 Megs of the 60C. He then proceeds to recommend the 60C over the Cx, as I wouldn't need the expandable memory. When I asked him about the difference between the receiver chips in them and what I had read about the Sirf III, he assured me that "I won't notice a difference" and that I they had a 10 day exchange policy, if I wasn't happy I could swap it out for the Cx. Fast forward to a couple days ago. A guy at work picks up the 60CSx. It blows my 60C out of the water, while standing in my buddy's office with a good view of the constellation I'd get a solid lock on 1 sat, and a partial on 1 other. The CSx? Solid locks on 6 or 7 sats. So I call Radioworld to ask about the "barely noticeable" difference of 1 vs. 6 sats. Then the sales guy informs me that the 10 day satisfaction guaranty is N/A in my case because I loaded a map. I'd say that's a crucial tidbit to leave out when you're telling the customer about your exchange policy. I'm in customer service too, and I know that if a customer comes in asking for something specific and then I give them false info and sell them something that doesn't work for them, not to be surprised when they call back to complain. Radioworld is never getting another dime of my money.

/rant mode

BC of Team Hard K

Ask to speak to the owner. I believe its Angelo Meffe. I can't see how loading maps in the unit should have no bearing on warranty.

I'd like to hear more about this SirF equipped unit. I recall people proclaiming that the dual-helical antennas work better than the planar. I have both and damned if I can tell a difference.

FWIW, my experiences with RadioWorld have been positive. This includes having to return 2 products that conked shortly after purchase.

C-A

I can tell you with certainty that the CSx/Cx units get a *much* better lock than the C/CS.

Perhaps the 'you've loaded maps' thing is because the maps require unlocking on the unit? Then if you try to return it you can't retrieve your unlock codes....

I can tell you with certainty that the CSx/Cx units get a *much* better lock than the C/CS.

Perhaps the 'you've loaded maps' thing is because the maps require unlocking on the unit? Then if you try to return it you can't retrieve your unlock codes....

I know from first hand experience now that the x models get a much better lock, maybe this is why they don't have a display model of the 60C at Radioworld. As for the maps I loaded Metroguide Canada onto it, which doesn't require an unlock code, and I told the guy that it was Metroguide Canada, and he said that since I've loaded a map, I'm SOL.

If the only concern is that they cannot resell the unit as new because you downloaded maps then I believe there is a way out for you. It's possible to erase the maps and return it to it's original state by downloading a POI database that was in map memory originally and was lost when you loaded maps for the first time.

From Garmin's website at this link is the following instruction:

Notes:

If MapSource data is loaded to your GPS receiver, its preloaded POI database will be erased. Please download this file if you wish to recover this POI database.

Warning. This program is not intended for use with the StreetPilot c310, c320, c330, c340, StreetPilot i2, i3, i5, iQue m3, m5, or StreetPilot 2720. If this database is loaded to any of these units, you may overwrite the preloaded mapping data, and render your unit inoperable.

This file is intended to reload the Point of Interest database that came preloaded in your eTrex Venture, eTrex Mariner, eTrex Legend, eTrex Legend C, eTrex Vista, eTrex Vista C, GPS 60, GPSMAP 60, GPSMAP 60C, GPSMAP 60CS, GPS 72, GPS 76, GPSMAP 76, GPSMAP 76S, GPSMAP 76C, GPSMAP 76CS, or GPSMAP 152.

This program is not intended for use with the POI Loader program. Please see the help file within the POI Loader program for more information.

Good luck, Olar

If the only concern is that they cannot resell the unit as new because you downloaded maps then I believe there is a way out for you. It's possible to erase the maps and return it to it's original state by downloading a POI database that was in map memory originally and was lost when you loaded maps for the first time.

From Garmin's website at this link is the following instruction:

Good luck, Olar

Olar, you rock. That link wiped out the installed maps, and I talked to Tim @ Radioworld yesterday and he agreed to extend the exchage period. Today at lunch I went up there and swapped it out, now I'm a happy camper again :D

BC of Team Hard K

Two years ago or so, when we started geocaching. My fiance picked up a magellan meridian colour travellers pack from radioworld. The company name was given to us from a close friend, accompanied by high praise. This was to be a surprise birthday present for me so she was unable to ask me any questions about how to set it up or anything. We were leaving that night to go camping, and apparently geocaching.

She apparently spent some good amount of time in the store talking to their reps. She learned a lot of stuff about the units. She knew that I wanted the magellan model she purchased, but that was about it. The salesperson was very patient, did not try to upsell her (not sure he could of, not sure if there was a more expensive meridian at that point). He did not try to change what she wished to purchase.

Now, my comment about their customer service.

She went home that afternoon and wanted to load the maps onto the unit so that we would have them for camping and geocaching. She found that it was more difficult that she imagined, she ran into some major problems and something happened to the unit. She called radioworld and talked to that very same salesperson. He talked her through the entire process of upgrading the meridians software from magellans website. Loading the mapping software on the PC and then transfering it to the GPS. He even talked her through initializing the unit and creating her first waypoint.

That is incredible customer service!

We had a great experience with them and will purchase from them again.

Apples 2 Apples