Geocaching Survey?

DavidMac

Is this legit? I just received the following email about a geocaching survey:

Geocaching Survey Invite

Date: March 28, 2006 1:03:17 PM CST

To: *****

Reply-To: *****

You are invited to participate in this brief 5 – 7 minute survey regarding your use and satisfaction with geocaching.com. All responses will remain confidential and used in accordance with Groundspeak’s privacy policy. View Privacy Policy

This survey link will be active until April 14th. We value your feedback and look forward to learning how we can better serve the entire geocaching community.

Thank you,

The Groundspeak Team

Just wanted to check since I can't find any announcements about it on the site, and the email links to a 3rd party website.

edit: ah, guess I can't fix my typo in the title, but I can try...

Edited by DavidMac

I'm wondering if they can tell who participated by the list of characters at the end of the address; mine ends in -JQL84KAYT

Yes; looking through their privacy policy, I get the idea that the unique URL's are used to prevent people from skewing the results by submitting multiple responses. It's a way to ensure that one email= one survey, but I don't think it means that if you responded "yes" to the question about micros, somebody shows up at your door to "educate" you about placing quality caches. :lol:

I'm wondering if they can tell who participated by the list of characters at the end of the address; mine ends in -JQL84KAYT

Although technically you could map the responses with a user, we went to great care to anonymize the way that emails are handled through Zoomerang. Zoomerang actually received fake emails that map to our mail server. We then map it to the correct emails and send them out from our own mail servers. Once we get the results from the survey we will delete the mapping which will completely anonymize the results (and make it so all the emails in Zoomerang's database bounce).

The reason why we use the tracking is to reduce the number of duplicate surveys that would skew the results. Only those that opted in to receive emails from us received the survey.

Edited by Jeremy