Slow Cache Approval

BadB

remember, these guys and gals are all volunteers. They do this as a service to the caching community. Your reviewer may be on spring break with his family, or on an extended business trip. Send a nice note to him or her and then relax. If you place it - we will come, eventually.

Ordinarily our service standard is to provide an initial review within 72 hours. But did you notice the website performance over the weekend and on Monday? Reviewers use the same website; we don't have a private server that's always lightning fast, although we wish we did! Each review requires multiple page loads -- even more so for puzzle caches and multicaches.

When the site grinds to a halt on a weekend evening, we give up trying to review caches and try again the next day. Right now I am playing hooky from work in order to get caught up. I am wayyyy behind, especially on follow ups to caches I reviewed previously. I'd better go drive to my paying job now!

Thanks for your patience and I am sure a reviewer will take a look at your submission very soon.

how do they work? do they find the cache?

From the Geocaching.com FAQ Page:

Does Geocaching.com (or a volunteer) physically check the cache before publishing it?

We wish! We'd love to head out to all those countries and states to check on each and every cache to ensure that they are placed properly. Based on the growth of the sport, however, this would be impossible. If you're not sure about a cache, wait for someone else to check on it and report back to the site.

Before a cache is posted, volunteers check the page for inaccuracies, bad coordinates, and appropriateness before posting the cache to the site.

With many caches being submitted all week long throughout each reviewer's territory, it would be physically impossible to check each location and still meet our service goal of reviewing each submission within 72 hours. Since the locations aren't checked, that's one reason why caches are "reviewed," not "approved." I can't approve of something I've never seen -- I can only check it against our listing guidelines based on the information available to me.

You ask a lot of good questions. :lol: I recommend reading the pinned FAQ thread and the other resources that are linked from there.

local reviewer? how do i become one?

Rule Number One:

There is no such thing as a local reviewer

Not sure if you're being serious or funny, but I wanted to respond since this is the "Getting Started" forum and I would hate to mislead a newcomer.

The majority of volunteer cache reviewers perform their work in their "local" area. That can be a vast area (all of Australia, all of Texas) or a small area (all of Maryland, half of Florida). I live in Pittsburgh, right near W080°, and my territory runs from W078° to W082°, covering cities like Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown, Erie, Pittsburgh, Morgantown, Wheeling, Charleston, etc. These are all places where I travel to find geocaches. I know many of the people whose caches I'm reviewing, and they know I'm out there finding them.

While this is not the model everywhere, many areas have a reviewer who is somewhat 'local', give or take a few hundred miles.

I'm sorry Keystone for the confusion in my last post and it was a bad take off of "Fight Club" rules. The laughing Signals were suppose to help but it is sometimes hard to convey true meanings across a fourm and we all know this. You are very much right about not wanting to give a potential new person wrong information.

In all seriousness, local reviewers sometimes cover one state, sometimes cover a couple of states, just depends on the needs of those certain areas.