Etrex Legend And Mapsource City Select Na Nt 7

Garmin's compatability chart says No to City Select ..... you need Metroguide. If you have never used the unlock codes with your product .... then you could easily re-sell it and buy the right program.

If your computer is a laptop ..... you can download nRoute from Garmin for free, hook the legend up to the laptop (it becomes your Sat antenna), and .... you have City Select fully functional with voice prompts for autorouting. :) ImpalaBob

I believe you can load the maps to the Legend but you won't be able to autoroute.

Also, City Select is a memory hog in metropolitan areas. If you live in Wyoming you'll get decent map coverage, but if you live in a major metro area, you won't get enough map coverage into your Legend to make it worthwhile. No sense even wasting the unlock code on your Legend if you ever plan to upgrade.

Moving to appropriate forum

Garmin's compatability chart says No to City Select ..... you need Metroguide. If you have never used the unlock codes with your product .... then you could easily re-sell it and buy the right program.

If your computer is a laptop ..... you can download nRoute from Garmin for free, hook the legend up to the laptop (it becomes your Sat antenna), and .... you have City Select fully functional with voice prompts for autorouting. :) ImpalaBob

really, that sounds great.

i'm new to the gps and just got my legend cx yesterday, i travel with my laptop quite frequently. is it really

as easy as downloading and hooking my gps up to the laptop?

Congratulations on a great choice for a first GSPr! :)

With the Legend Cx, you can load City Select to it and it will auto-route you around . . . no need to hook it up to the laptop, unless you want the voice prompts instead of the beeps.

On the Tool Bar in Mapsource, there is an icon for "Sending to GPS." You select the maps (using the map tool) you want to go to the GPS and when it is hooked up, click Send . . . at least that is the way it works for my Vista C. It might be a bit different since your GPSr has the card.

Edited by Miragee

Congratulations on a great choice for a first GSPr! :)

With the Legend Cx, you can load City Select to it and it will auto-route you around . . . no need to hook it up to the laptop, unless you want the voice prompts instead of the beeps.

On the Tool Bar in Mapsource, there is an icon for "Sending to GPS." You select the maps (using the map tool) you want to go to the GPS and when it is hooked up, click Send . . . at least that is the way it works for my Vista C. It might be a bit different since your GPSr has the card.

Thanks, I did quite a bit of research before buying (didn't want the top of the line in case i don't use it a lot but wanted one good enough to get the job done)

i need to purchase some map software yet for it (suggestions? - i travel quite a bit to western states and hike)

another question, once i get software on my computer can i use laptop screen to display what is on the gps as i'm traveling?

thanks again

You will want to purchase City Select or City Navigator. I also purchased, used, on eBay, the Topo maps which are nice when you are hiking.

You can load both on the GPSr, you just have to switch depending on whether you want to Show the Topo and Hide the City Select (just remember to switch back from Topo to City Select when you choose the Follow Road option, especially if you are far from a main road or Interstate.)

I'm sure you can hook up the GPSr to your laptop while you are traveling, but someone else will have to help you with that configuration.

i thought i heard select or navigator will be discontinued. is there a difference between them anyways?

as far as the topo's if you can buy them on ebay that must mean they don't have lock codes on them, right

sorry for all these questions i'm just glad somebody can help me out with my new TOY

-jayheel

i'm new to the gps and just got my legend cx yesterday, i travel with my laptop quite frequently. is it really

Yep .... It's just that easy.

Load your drivers. Load City Select. Check to see you have the latest MapSource version ... if not get the free update download from Garmin (stay away from the beta version for now). Get your GPS unlocked and working with MapSource and City Select. You will want to be a Premium Member using pocket queries to get gpx files. You can "Open" the gpx file in MapSource. You can transfer the waypoints from MapSource to your GPS. Now download nRoute for free from Garmin. Install it and let it know you have City Select unlocked. "Import" the same gpx file into nRoute. Hook the GPS up to the laptop. Now nRoute will be fully functional with autorouting and voice prompts. I also loaded the British/English voice guide to spice up my voice prompts ... "Brilliant". :) ImpalaBob

With respect to the OP's question, I think some of the answers here have missed the letters NT in his software description. I believe the NT maps will not load correctly into units that do not support them, which would include the older legend. So while City Select NA (non-NT) could be loaded onto a Legend (albeit not supporting autorouting), I don't think you'd even get that far with the NT version - I think that comes with some of the newer Streetpilots, and probably can't be loaded onto many of the handheld units.

Keith

really, that sounds great.

With the CX its even easier than that. Just load the City Select maps to your GPS and it will do autorouting for you. No need to hook it up to a laptop.

i thought i heard select or navigator will be discontinued. is there a difference between them anyways?

As far as the topo's if you can buy them on ebay that must mean they don't have lock codes on them, right

City Select (CS) and City Navigator (CN) are functionally very similar. I hear CN is a tad "smarter" than CS.

The chief difference right now is that CS's map segments are in much smaller chunks, so you can

better customize which maps you want to load to the units. CN's map segments are in around 24 meg chunks, while CS map segments are under 8 megs. This means that you may need to load part of a map segment that you don't need with CN, to get a small section that you do need. This becomes less of an issue with the CX and its expandible memory. For units with limited, fixed memory like the Legend C, Vista, Vista C, Legend and 60C, City Navigator would not be appriopriate.

City Select will be discontinued after V7. It is our understanding that V8 of City Navigator will have its maps segments in smaller chunks.

Mapsource Topo does not use unlock codes so you can buy it used without worry. City Select and City Navigator do use unlock codes so you must beware if you are buying them used.

Edited by briansnat

With respect to the OP's question, I think some of the answers here have missed the letters NT in his software description. I believe the NT maps will not load correctly into units that do not support them, which would include the older legend. So while City Select NA (non-NT) could be loaded onto a Legend (albeit not supporting autorouting), I don't think you'd even get that far with the NT version - I think that comes with some of the newer Streetpilots, and probably can't be loaded onto many of the handheld units.

Keith

I think you nailed the key point there.... I am confident that I could upload regular CS maps... but unsure about the NT version.

I bought a Quest II and called garmin to get a copy of the CS. however, I hated the unit so I returened it. I'm now in search for another unit (most likely geared more towards geocahcing vs. autorouting). Since I have a copy of the mapping software, I was just wondering if I would be able to utilize it on another Garmin GPSr.

NT do not work on legend. It uses a compression technique that uses more CPU power.

NT works only on this GPS from Garmin

----------------------------------------------

StreetPilot

c310 c320 c330 c340 c510 c550

-Nûvi

300 310 350 360

-GPSMap

60Cx 60CSx

76Cx 76CSx

276C (with latest beta firmware)

-eTrex

Legend Cx

Vista Cx

Venture Cx

-Quest 2

City Select will be discontinued after V7. It is our understanding that V8 of City Navigator will have its maps segments in smaller chunks.

Hello all,

Does anyone have any news of when V8 might be available? I want CN, but will wait for V8 if it is due soon.

Thanks!

GVMO Crew

NT do not work on legend. It uses a compression technique that uses more CPU power.

NT works only on this GPS from Garmin

----------------------------------------------

StreetPilot

c310 c320 c330 c340 c510 c550

-Nûvi

300 310 350 360

-GPSMap

60Cx 60CSx

76Cx 76CSx

276C (with latest beta firmware)

-eTrex

Legend Cx

Vista Cx

Venture Cx

-Quest 2

Thanks for the insight! I failed to mention that I'm planning on getting the legend cx. I guess I lucked out! Well, we'll see how much I'm getting back for refund from amazon.com for my quest 2....

City Navigator Europe v8 is just out, and did not have smaller maps.

Largest map is 14MB and average is around 10MB (216Map, 1,8GB)

City Navigator Europe v8 is just out, and did not have smaller maps.

Largest map is 14MB and average is around 10MB (216Map, 1,8GB)

Yes, I'm concerned that Garmin may consider that type of sizing acceptable since it still allows auto-routing units with smaller memories (GPS V at 19MB and GPSMap60, Legend/VistaC at 24 MB) to load even the largest single region.

But in practice it makes such units far less usable if you can only select one or two regions rather than defining a more specific area using about 10 small regions as is possible with CitySelect.