What About Bob?

S Keillan

We had some discussion about this a while back, but it seemed to fade out. Anyway, after the last CINCO event, our organisation log book, which is held onto by the next host of an event, is still with me. Thus the fates require the fulfillment of Destiny!

Therefore, I will officially begin planning for a BoB run. For those interested, it is a series of 99 caches in the north suburbs of Chicago, all within a space of about twelve miles, if I remember correctly. I was thinking that a few car loads could make the trip and try to hit them all. For info on the caches, check out BoB 99. A bookmark list of the caches is available as well.

I'm looking at April 8, which is the first Saturday after daylight saving time starts, with April 15 as a rain date. We could meet in some designated location in NW Indiana (Lafayette again perhaps) and convoy to the area.

Also If you want to do a warmup to bob you can play some golf in South Bend.

Geo Golf East Race Hole #1

It is on 19 holes but It might be a good warm up for BoB.

It's been a while since I've been to South Bend, and when I do go it's usually with my wife, who isn't big on stamina. But I agree that would be a good warm-up, and perhaps an outing might be useful there.

Actually, there's the original GeoGolf caches on the west side of Chicago. That would be a good outing as well. I tend to favour out-of-state trips for this kind of group activity as there are likely fewer Indiana cachers that have done them. :)

We had some discussion about this a while back, but it seemed to fade out. Anyway, after the last CINCO event, our organisation log book, which is held onto by the next host of an event, is still with me. Thus the fates require the fulfillment of Destiny!

Therefore, I will officially begin planning for a BoB run. For those interested, it is a series of 99 caches in the north suburbs of Chicago, all within a space of about twelve miles, if I remember correctly. I was thinking that a few car loads could make the trip and try to hit them all. For info on the caches, check out BoB 99. A bookmark list of the caches is available as well.

I'm looking at April 8, which is the first Saturday after daylight saving time starts, with April 15 as a rain date. We could meet in some designated location in NW Indiana (Lafayette again perhaps) and convoy to the area.

Wish you had posted just a little earlier. TheBaers and I just did the run last Friday. Have fun.

I haven't seen a lot of responses to this, but its looking like I would be able to make this on the 8th. I would rather drive separately (to Chicago that is) as I have an opportunity to catch the Cubs/Cards game on the 9th, and would want to stay in Chi-town that night.

Edited by BoilerBushwacker

Beffums and I have talked quite a bit about doing a BOB run. We would take you up on this one, except that she's going to be out of town next weekend and we're also in the process of closing on a house. Ah well, life happens, eh?

Beffums and I have talked quite a bit about doing a BOB run. We would take you up on this one, except that she's going to be out of town next weekend and we're also in the process of closing on a house. Ah well, life happens, eh?

Congratulations on the house. Maybe you'll have a travel bug hotel nearby. B)

Anyway, I've not gotten any private replies, so as far as I'm concerned, the date is still open to discussion. Also, meeting up in the Chicago area separately is perfectly fine. I'm simply thinking about carpooling in order to reduce fuel consumption and costs.

I'd love to join you in a BoB run, it sounds like a blast. I'm working until perhaps 1pm on April 8th, so whether I could join you on that date would depend on when you wanted to start. The following Saturday I'm off, so April 15th would work better for me too. If it's the 8th, and you'd be in the middle of things before I'm off, then maybe someone would be willing to give me a cell number to call you and find out where you are?

When I say I'd love to join you, I actually mean 'we' in that my papillon Pippin loves to hunt caches too. Any objections to him coming along? He's small enough to carry when needed and even has a carrier that can pass as a large purse. I've found people are much less worried by someone wandering around with a cute little puppy than they are by someone lurking in the bushes otherwise. ;-)

Kelly,

Have you gotten PMs from anyone yet?

I've decided that I will definitely be up in the Chicago Area on the 8th and will stay at a friends in order to see the Cubs on the 9th. I'd love to make a run on BoB if others are around. I'm also thinking of doing the Lake Shore Bike Trail Series by Special Ed and Fallen Faery.

Critterkeeper,

I'm sure I'll be around if you're up for caching after you're done with work.

So far I've only gotten only commitment. If the weather holds for this weekend (should have some idea by Wednesday or Thursday), it's a go. However, if a surge of interest for the following weekend comes, I suppose that would be the target date. I would prefer that as a rain date though.

The current forecast that I have for Chicago has it cool (40's Farenheit) but quite sunny, nice weather for cache hunting. Also, two of the BoB caches are disabled, but that still leaves 97 to hunt. I'm working on a path through the caches in order to keep distance and time to a minimum. I'm inclined to start at BoB 99 in the north, but would be fine starting on the south end.

I'm thinking that whoever would like to carpool with me can email me and work out details. I would like to be up in the area by 11:00 CDT (noon eastern), which would generally mean leaving out from Lafayette about 9:00 AM (or earlier if other caches are hit en route). For others who would like to met at the area, I probably need suggestions as my knowledge of the region goes as far north as Wilmette.

It looks like we'll be looking at leaving Lafayette around 8:00 AM EDT on Saturday in order to have adequate time to run through the series. For those interesting in carpooling or caravaning, we'll be meeting at the Meijer parking lot in Lafayette, exit 172 of I-65. (This is the same place as the A.P.E. run in January.) A R.S.V.P. would be nice, but feel free to show up at the last minute if you want.

We haven't decided on a meetup place in the Chicago area quite yet. Partially this is based on limited knowledge of the area, but I do recall some large retail areas where we could gather. It's also difficult to predict an arrival time given the varying nature of city traffic. However, if I hear interest in some others coming from elsewhere, we'll settle on somewhere.

For those interested in joining up midway, well, the problem is that I don't have a cell phone. :unsure: About the best that I could do is post a bookmark list of our intended route. Then perhaps we could meet up based on whether we gotten to a cache in line or not.

So far it looks like myself and a couple of others. We certainly would like at least a small swarm. :unsure: