Out Of Commission

Cyclometh

I went seeking SY1875, JIM CROW POINT, with my son yesterday. About a mile into the pack up the hill, my back started giving me trouble. But we were a mile from the car and had to hike back, then I had to drive 120 miles home. By the time I got to the ER, I couldn't walk because of the pain and spasms.

They gave me some IV drugs and I'm able to sit up and use the computer. I have to see my regular doc in a few days.

I'm going to go back there and get that sucker, though. It's a heck of a challenge; the point's a LOT higher and more rugged than the description would lead you to believe.

Sissy! Just kidding. I have to admit that my back has bothered me after a long day hunting, mostly from all the driving with no lumbar support whatsoever in my car seat. But I get 30 mpg!

If you want to see some horror stories head over to the geocaching forum. Injuries or Accidents While Geocaching

As a non-cacher, and basically a guy who doesn't understand the entire caching scene, I am amazed at what people have gone through to get to a Rubbermaid tub or ammo box, et. al.

Also, if you have ever been worried about getting nabbed by the police while hunting, take a look at My Cache is Arrested. Check out the link to caches that have been blown up by the bomb squads.

At any rate, I hope your injury was not BM-hunting related and will ease over time so you can get back out there!

Edited because I broke the link by moving it.

Re-edited because I think you meant Jim Crow Point, not Unpainted Barn North Gable, which would be a cool find too, but not as difficult a hike.

Edited by mloser

Cyclometh -

I don't have any back problems. However, several years ago it snowed quite a bit. At the time I lived in a condo building and was helping shovel snow in the parking lot. I finished shoveling, and was idly kicking a bit more snow out of the way when whamo! my back went out. It was a week or more before I could even walk across a room without extreme pain. I must've made some kind of wrong move. I have not had a problem since. Get well soon!

Good luck with your recovery. Remember, the contest starts on Sunday!

Worst I've suffered benchmarking was a nasty case of Lyme diseasse.

Nah, I'm not in the contest- I hunt benchmarks for fun, and a competetion just takes the fun out of it for me. I'm sure it'll be a great time for everyone who takes part, but such things just aren't my cup of tea. :)

Thanks for the good wishes.

That definitely sucks :) I have arthritis just about everywhere, especially knees, feet, and hips. I can go just about anywhere, if I take my time, but a few miles is my limit right now. Last week I innocently reached out to adjust the wood stove, a trivial low force motion, and something went out in my shoulder. It's taken a week to get back to near normal, but for a while I couldn't lift my arm at all. Regardless, hiking around benchmark hunting is helping far more than it's hurting, and we're starting to get some sun and warmth finally :)

I hope you have a quick recovery and will not be laid up for too long a period of time.

I tore several muscles and put a hairline crack in one of my vertabre at the tender age of 16 rearranging my bedroom furniture. Then had a major lumbar strain a few years after that. My back has never been the same since. (I won't even begin to mention the few geocaching injuries....)

Enjoy the drugs and hopefully, the first class service of being waited on hand and foot.

Katrina

Ouch get better. I know how bad you can hurt. I lost my car to a Semi Truck about a month ago, I have been to drop off the travel bug I had then yet. I might get around to it today. I hurt for days. I am all better now and have been benchmarking 2 times sence then.

Any way God speed in you recovery.

Thanks for all the positive vibes, my benchmarking peeps. :lol: I'm doing a bit better; I can walk now, which is a huge improvement. The drugs they've got me on are quite entertaining. Hopefully I don't have to stay on them long, I've got an appointment Thursday with my GP.

Got to get out there and get some more marks soon! :D