Charity Events

Rather than take over another thread regarding 'commercial' caches, I thought I'd post a new topic. Being a relative newbie to the sport, I don't know how much discussion has been had in the past about charity events. I understand that these are not allowed under Groundspeak rules, but was wondering if there was any chance of getting this rule changed.

I agree that commercial events shouldn't be allowed, but are there really serious objections to an event that follows all the guidlines, but ALSO raises money for charity?

Dave

Hmmmm..... this is a real oldie and goodie.

For the sake of my geocaching account, I'm not going to stick my nose in here, but I hope someone else is braver than I......

oooh, should i go and create a new account and expect my old one to be deleted? :o:tired:

I look forward to someone brave posting, unlike that coward above! ;):huh:;)

To be honest, if the more experinced members, and our mods, say there is no chance of this ever happening, I'll just lock and learn (so to speak!)

Dave, call me a coward all you like, but I have put a lot into and taken a lot from this 'sport/pastime/hobby'.

I do not wish to jeapordise all that with misplaced forum comments as some people in the past have been unfortnate enough to do.

:tired: I'm only joking Ian, was just meant as a bit of friendly banter. I owuldn't dream of expecting you to jeapodise your account, and I hope I'm not doing that to mine. ;)

As i said above anyway, I think we can take most people opinions on charity events as a given. I was more interested in whether it would ever be worth making an effort to get Groundspeak to change their minds.

Many events I've been to have featured a raffle which normally raises a few quid for a good cause. As long as this isn't made the focal point of the event no harm done IMHO!

Where there's a will there's a way ;):tired::huh: !!

To mention another fear that's been expressed, you will not be banned for having a civilised discussion, even an unpopular one ;) Just keep within the usual forum guidelines and you can be as unpopular as you like!!

In which case, I feel PP has a VERY valid point. Some time ago, charity caches were banned without member (paying member) consultation. Now we have commmercial caches by the back door, can we get back to the heady days of the 'Children in Need Foxhunt' etc. that did SO much good?

Edited by rutson
Many events I've been to have featured a raffle which normally raises a few quid for a good cause. As long as this isn't made the focal point of the event no harm done IMHO!

Where there's a will there's a way ;):tired::huh: !!

To mention another fear that's been expressed, you will not be banned for having a civilised discussion, even an unpopular one :o Just keep within the usual forum guidelines and you can be as unpopular as you like!!

Well thats good to hear! A certain person springs to mind here! ;)

So, maybe its worth asking groundpseak to allow them? I don;t know if this is something the mods would feel able to discuss in their TPTB thread/discussions?

........ <snip> .....

So, maybe its worth asking groundpseak to allow them? I don;t know if this is something the mods would feel able to discuss in their TPTB thread/discussions?

I think the best place to air this point of view is in the general geocaching forum. If there is a worldwide consensus for a change it will carry more weight with Groundspeak.

Hiya Dave

At the Durham event last year we raised £181 for the PDSA the meet was an open event to anyone willing to come along, as well as the meet I provided a raffle and a tombola and a quiz, no one was forced to partake in any of these things but of course they did :)

I think most events you go to will have some kind of a raffle raising a bit of money towards a worthy cause, I just don't think you are allowed to run the event specifically to raise money. :)

The meet is just that a chance for other cachers to meet each other and have a gossip and a drink, anything else is just a bit extra.

There are always ways and means. :)

M :)

So why aren't we allowed to run a charity event.

There must be thousands of sports organisations around the world that do, what's different about Geocaching, surley it would help raise a profile of being supportive of the institutions that need financial assistance.

If it's a charity you don't support, then don't go, if it's one you do or don't mind supporting then why not do two good things at the same time - caching and fund raising.

I believe that charity events should be allowed. If everyone who attended knew that all proceeds were going to the said charity, and then proof was published of payment. What harm has actually been done?

Going by what people have said, Bog Woppit has made a profit out of the Lost event, and he appears to have got away with that! That is a bigger breach of guidelines than making a profit that you are donating to a charity.

Look here to see what the official view is -

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c8-06dca880d6ea

I post this only because it is clear there are people who were not arround at the time and need to understand the history.

Still don't see why we can't put charity caches out.

The choice remains - if you don't agree with it, don't visit or log it, if you do, then visit, log and donate.

Still don't see why we can't put charity caches out.

Probably because Groundspeak want a quiet(er) life! Otherwise we'd have the Pro-Life "stop the murder" charity cache going head to head with the Abortion Information Service "freedom to choose" charity cache. The local public school would put out the "point-one-mile-grid mega-series" charity caches to raise funds for a new science block and, where once our caches were buried under adverts for GPSS, tomorrows caches wouldn't be complete without a wodge of heartstring-tugging begging letters.

Please, let's keep agendas out of geocaching! <hypocrite>But continue to allow CIN event caches, of course!</hypocrite> :lol::huh: