Problem Viewing Saved Tracks

After lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks, I broke down and purchased a Garmin 60CSx last week. After using it on a couple of short hikes this weekend, I ran into a frustrating problem that I haven’t been able to figure out, and I’m not sure if it’s something that I’m doing wrong, or how to fix it. If anyone has any ideas, I’d sure appreciate some suggestions! Here’s what I’m doing:

At the start of a hike, I’ll turn the GPSr on and let it acquire a good lock. I switch to the map page and turn off City Select 7 so I can see the Garmin Topo map (I have both loaded). After the hike, I can see the track that I took OK, so I go to the main menu and select “Tracks” then “Save”. I opt to save the entire track and hit “OK” on the saved track page. I shut the GPSr off and head home at that point. When I get home, turn it back on and go to view the track on the GPSr, I go back to the saved track page, highlight the track name, and select “Map”. The screen redraws, and I find myself looking at a spot in the Pacific Ocean somewhere near Tern Island. Since I’m in Missouri, I’m pretty sure I didn’t get anywhere too close to Tern Island on my morning hike. Looking back at the saved track page, the distance traveled was something like 1600 miles. I tried several times and the same thing happened trying to view the track.

Any ideas where I might have gone wrong? The track was looking OK after the hike with no drops along the way and the trip odometer was correct at 6.54 miles.

Use the toggle button to "pan" back over to Missouri to the area where you hiked and see if in fact the trail is there. If not ???? If so, then next time just before you start your hike, at the start point go to track page and "clear track log".

Sometimes upon startup, before actual lock, GPSrs will show some wierd positions ,and that may be included in your tracklog.

Download the tracklog to your PC if possible and see if is visually more apparent what happened.

Use the toggle button to "pan" back over to Missouri to the area where you hiked and see if in fact the trail is there. If not ???? If so, then next time just before you start your hike, at the start point go to track page and "clear track log".

Sometimes upon startup, before actual lock, GPSrs will show some wierd positions ,and that may be included in your tracklog.

Download the tracklog to your PC if possible and see if is visually more apparent what happened.

Thanks for the tip- that's a long scroll from near Hawaii to Eastern Missouri! That would make sense if it started to lock near Hawaii for some reason. That might explain why it was showing 8% of track memory used with two hikes totaling about 8 miles stored? Unfortunately, I deleted the track when I was having issues seeing it. In hindsight I should have uploaded it and taken a closer look. If it happens again I'll do that first.