Hike Of The Month 2006

TotemLake

OK, I've decided to hike back in to Klone Lake (if the road is open) with Ironman114 to do some fishing.

Well, the road up to Klone Lake was closed so Ironman114 showed me where Elk Lake in the Olympic National Park is instead. It was an incredible hike up the Humpnoochee Pass Trail, along a long abandoned logging road, and down an old trail to the lake. Much of the logging road is overgrown and parts are totally washed away. The washed away parts make it somewhat challenging, we had to kick toe holds in the steep hillside to keep from sliding down to our deaths. The lake is beautiful, and we caught a few angry trout. We ended up hiking out in the darkness to the trailhead and a couple cold Heinekens. The only thing missing was a geocache or two. There are two out there now though. We saw fish, crawdads, birds, a deer, and a cougar. The bear poo we saw had lots of fur in it, and since people aren’t furry, those bears don’t eat people.

7134de86-df33-4f97-b8d2-26f7cf897d03.jpg

0e9e23c4-f82c-49e6-9d40-790ebc4dccc0.jpg

d3a58539-5d5d-4e42-9450-61566f617131.jpg

af5b99ca-b41b-4bfa-8f74-b5eabe500a8c.jpg

We mighta got out before dark if we hadn't tossed so many boulders down the slides.

On the return across the slide with my pic above I almost went down the mountain too when a rock slid out from under me and I had to scramble for better footing!

One of the best weekends this summer despite the blisters on both feet again.

P.S. The pic of the steep stuff is where the road is. Well used to be, under all that rock.

Edited by ironman114

So far it looks like Saturday is supposed to be the better of the two weekend days, partly cloudy and 57°. I'm thinking of heading up to the Greenwater Lakes and from there possibly either Lost Lake or Echo Lake. I've done the caches but haven't fished any of them.

If there's any interest, I'll work up a show-time at the trailhead, if not, I'll crawl out of bed and head up whenever I feel like it.

So far it looks like Saturday is supposed to be the better of the two weekend days, partly cloudy and 57°. I'm thinking of heading up to the Greenwater Lakes and from there possibly either Lost Lake or Echo Lake. I've done the caches but haven't fished any of them.

If there's any interest, I'll work up a show-time at the trailhead, if not, I'll crawl out of bed and head up whenever I feel like it.

Bummer. This is Halloween weekend and I have things to do.

November's hike:

I have in mind to do Lime Kiln Trail just outside of Granite Falls. From trailhead to the last cache is 3.4 miles but the hunt will be just a little longer. There are 7 caches to be had. That almost makes this a cache machine! :P

With exception of turkey day, I'm open to any weekend. I'll go along with the majority requested date and I will be there rain or shine.

I'm looking at Saturday, November 11 to do this hike.

On the way down to the Grand Canyon on that date... any chance of this weekend?

If not with the big group, anyone interested in having a splinter group doing it this weekend?

cheers,

Poppa J

I purposfully left the date open for the past 4 days waiting for someone to chime in on a date that works best for them. Hearing/seeing nothing, I got the OK from she who must be respected on my proposed date before posting here. I'm now obligated for this coming weekend for other things. Sorry!

Edited by TotemLake

Just a quick note and bump. I'm watching the flood reports closely to see if the TH remains accessible.

Rain or shine, I plan on being there at 8 AM. Floods and slides... well that's a different story. I will post trailhead coordinates later this week and bump this again on Friday night.

Huh - for some reason I read right over the post with the date for Lime Kiln. Put me on the *probably going* list for now.

Well I'm out. With the flooding in the area that displaced 12 people out of the Robe Canyon (which is where we would be hiking), it just doesn't seem prudent to push through a high crisis area.

The following weekend is out for me as well as all of turkey weekend. So November is a no go for me.

Huh - for some reason I read right over the post with the date for Lime Kiln. Put me on the *probably going* list for now.

Well I'm out. With the flooding in the area that displaced 12 people out of the Robe Canyon (which is where we would be hiking), it just doesn't seem prudent to push through a high crisis area.

The following weekend is out for me as well as all of turkey weekend. So November is a no go for me.

As one that has done this hike before I can tell you that the entire trail is well above the river level, even at flood stage. All the caches should be high and dry. The OTHER robe trail on the other hand is at river level and most likely inaccessable.

I will be there. I'm planning on a start time of 9AM unless someone wants to start earlier.

ok stupid me, but where are we meeting again?

Good question Andrew... and what should we expect of the trail? Also, with the recent snow and flooding, are there any routes we should avoid to and from there?

cheers,

Poppa J

The trailhead is located near GCT4TT - Pepper Cache.

You can get an idea of what we'll find on this trail from this link and this link.

This link has the driving directions.

robecanyon.org also has some good information, but it seems to be down for now... probably flood related.

I'm told this particular trail would have been good to hike even during the flooding because it is on the higher side of the river. Nothing I've read has indicated the way to the TH is closed.

I will add with the high saturation the area has taken, mudslides are a possibility.

Edited by TotemLake

I haven't been on a good hike in several weeks! How long do you think this hike will take? About 4 hours? Need to be back in Kent by 3:30.

RWW timed it as a 2 hour hike going in so 4 hours isn't unreasonable. Of course, that's also presuming cooperative weather and trail conditions. So far, Saturday is predicted to be clear weather, but you know how that changes by the hour.

I haven't been on a good hike in several weeks! How long do you think this hike will take? About 4 hours? Need to be back in Kent by 3:30.

RWW timed it as a 2 hour hike going in so 4 hours isn't unreasonable. Of course, that's also presuming cooperative weather and trail conditions. So far, Saturday is predicted to be clear weather, but you know how that changes by the hour.

That sounds doable, then. As long as the road getting there is passable, Plaidguy and I are in!

I will be there. I'm planning on a start time of 9AM unless someone wants to start earlier.

ok stupid me, but where are we meeting again?

Good question Andrew... and what should we expect of the trail? Also, with the recent snow and flooding, are there any routes we should avoid to and from there?

cheers,

Poppa J

November 20, 2005 - Lime Kiln Trail

Elevation Gain: ~500 ft

Time: 4 hours (RT)

Distance (RT): 7 miles

Difficulty: Easy

{sigh} I've been wanting to do this hike for quite a while now.

{bigger sigh} Maybe next year.

That sounds doable, then. As long as the road getting there is passable, Plaidguy and I are in!

Seeing as LandRover and PP & PG are heading from this area up to Granite Falls, any chance you guys want to save the envirnment and carpool? As far as I know, its me and KidAce for our family.

cheers,

Poppa J

Bookmarked and open to suggestions.

Lime Kiln Trail finished in five hours. Yup, that's 3 in and 2 out. Lot's of blow downs and landslides to get over, under and around and it was FUN! There were 10 of us plus my geopuppy, and the day was in our favor. Lots of pictures were taken. I'll post the group picture later on tonight.

Thanks for joining me on this guys!