Hike Of The Month 2006

TotemLake

Criminal! It will be a pleasure. I was planning a counterclockwise loop starting with Mt Ellinor/Big Creek and finishing with Col Bob, but I am flexible.

What day is best for you?

Say, do you want to make a newManganese Mines cache? Maybe make it a multi that incorporates a feature from inside the mine, then place the box in a "safe from aliens" location. Initially, I was going to replace the box, but then it got archived.

Darn, I've always wanted to join your group for an adventure....

I'll be on the Olympic Peninsula 9/13-9/19.

I have on my list Mt Ellinor, Col Bob, Git Off My Land, Rugged Ridge, Ozette River Steam Donkey, Ring of Fire and any and all challenging hike type caches up there-especially summits. I also will have my bike and plan to try the Mt Muller loop. Not sure how much I will actually accomplish.....

I really wanted to visit the Manganese Mines but it has been archived. May go there anyhow.

Any recomendations for great or unique scenery?

Anyone want to join me for one of these?

I'm in. I'll even do Bob again. I love that mountain.

In true form, the jeep is down for repairs... again. I'm working on it to get it up and running for the weekend.

Time to buy a Land Rover, oh wait it's in the shop too. :tired:

Criminal! It will be a pleasure. I was planning a counterclockwise loop starting with Mt Ellinor/Big Creek and finishing with Col Bob, but I am flexible.

What day is best for you?

Say, do you want to make a newManganese Mines cache? Maybe make it a multi that incorporates a feature from inside the mine, then place the box in a "safe from aliens" location. Initially, I was going to replace the box, but then it got archived.

Well, any weekend is prolly going to work, weekdays are not so easy. Don't forget Marmot Pass and Tulls Canyon.

I'm up for the hide as well, I can supply the can.

I have on my list Mt Ellinor, Col Bob, Git Off My Land, Rugged Ridge, Ozette River Steam Donkey, Ring of Fire and any and all challenging hike type caches up there-especially summits. I also will have my bike and plan to try the Mt Muller loop. Not sure how much I will actually accomplish.....

I really wanted to visit the Manganese Mines but it has been archived. May go there anyhow.

I'm in. I'll even do Bob again. I love that mountain.

In true form, the jeep is down for repairs... again. I'm working on it to get it up and running for the weekend.

Time to buy a Land Rover, oh wait it's in the shop too. :tired:

:blink:

This is especially frustrating. Every time I suggest Colonel Bob, something comes up. These last two times, the jeep broke down 3 days before the hike.

At any rate, it will be repaired today and I will be in the running unless I try to downsize another car.

-=-=Edited to add the jeep is fixed and ready to go.=-=-

Edited by TotemLake

I noticed a couple of caches you mentioned are on a planned hike fest for next year. I'm going to initiate a Pacific Nortwest Trail hike of the month which will mostly run along the north border. The Steam Donkey is being planned as the start of this for 2007 with a possible 2-3 day hike through the Peninsula with caches at both ends of the hike. That might be too much for some folks, but a meet up to do the caches at either end would be exciting, not to mention the hot springs at the far end of the hike. :laughing:

OK TL, I’ll take FRS02 for granted.

Who’s bringing the beer?

What is show time at the Trailhead?

Did you renew your pass?

I guess it's my turn to bring the beer.

We could be at the traillhead by 11:30 AM dependant upon traffic and other pitfalls.

I don't need to renew my pass. It's good to the end of the year.

TL,

Glad to hear you fixed your jeep. Look forward to your report. I hope to be following in your footsteps in 2 weeks.

My plan for the Steam Donkey visit was to either bike in/bushwack like the last visitors, hike in via the Cape Alava trail and camp overnight, or just do it as a daytrip by running the Cape Alava route (tides permitting). Can you please tell me where those hotsprings are that you mentioned on the 2-3 day route?

I'd like to also highly recommend an adventure to put on your list for your hiking group: the Big Lava Bed in the Gifford Pinchot NF, south of Mt St Helens. The GP Crater of Insanity cache is located down in the crater, but there are several other caches you can pick up on your way into this vast trail-less wilderness. It is truly otherworldly in there.

TL,

Glad to hear you fixed your jeep. Look forward to your report. I hope to be following in your footsteps in 2 weeks.

My plan for the Steam Donkey visit was to either bike in/bushwack like the last visitors, hike in via the Cape Alava trail and camp overnight, or just do it as a daytrip by running the Cape Alava route (tides permitting). Can you please tell me where those hotsprings are that you mentioned on the 2-3 day route?

I'd like to also highly recommend an adventure to put on your list for your hiking group: the Big Lava Bed in the Gifford Pinchot NF, south of Mt St Helens. The GP Crater of Insanity cache is located down in the crater, but there are several other caches you can pick up on your way into this vast trail-less wilderness. It is truly otherworldly in there.

I read the logs on the donkey and you don't want to bushwhack unless you're prepared to fend off an endless supply of mosquitoes.

The Olympic hot springs are by a dam I think is called Elwha Dam (otherwise near Lake Mills) outside of Port Angeles. The PNW trail goes right past them and there is a nearby (primitive?) camp site. I didn't realize it at the time until I mapped out the trail and camping locations that the trail would go right past them and I thought this would be a pretty nice end to a good hike. Keep your eyes peeled for this when I announce it. I'll be aiming for a long weekend and it will require prep time to park a car at the far end. Colonel Bob's overnighter is actually a testing ground for me to figure out what I need to do to manage endurance hikes.

I'll keep the Oregon locations in mind for when I have the ability to travel out of state on extended weekends. I have always enjoyed the wilderness Oregon has to offer and I don't get down there nearly as much as I would like.

Edited by TotemLake

QUOTE(chubby forest monkey @ Aug 31 2006, 08:43 AM)

I'm a previous finder of Manganese Mines and I'd love to make another trek up to em to place another cache. Let me know if and when anyone wants to do this. My schedule is fairly flexible.

A full day of recovery and my legs still hurt! Logs and pics by Square Bear are on now, mine will be up sometime tomorrow.

I had a great time and I appreciate the patience Criminal and Square Bear showed when I became quite winded. This was worth the effort and definitely worth an overnighter.

Sorry to hijack your thread TL, this wil be the last time.

I am leaving on for my Olympic Peninsula trip tomorrow night(9/12).

I plan to do Mt Ellinor on Wed morning(9/13).

I am hoping to rehide the Manganese Mines cache. Hopefully meeting with pcakes and Criminal? on Sat 9/16- meeting at the powerlines indicated in the cache description at 9am.

Sun- Cape Alava

Mon- Col Bob

Let me know if you would like to join me.

I am hoping to rehide the Manganese Mines cache. Hopefully meeting with pcakes and Criminal? on Sat 9/16- meeting at the powerlines indicated in the cache description at 9am.

Sun- Cape Alava

Mon- Col Bob

Sat looks good for me so far.

I did Bob twice last week but I'd like to get back up there before the snow. TL saw something I want to investigate and possibly hide a cache there. It would be another overnighter if anyone is interested.

Sun- Cape Alava

Mon- Col Bob

I don't consider this "My Thread". I do consider this to be an equal opportunity forum for all. It doesn't have to be my hike of the month to be a hike of the month. I'm just merely putting it out there for anybody to join me if they choose.

You will enjoy Col Bob but try to be on the face of the mountain (about half way up) on the way up in the AM to beat the heat.

Keep your eyes peeled for the October hike. I'll be looking around for something a little more easier than the tough ones of late. It'll also be a short notice event with consideration to the seasonal Indian Summer.

Considering I have been trying to get out to these for a while, as long as there is no conflict, would love to go.

cheers,

Poppa J

Sun- Cape Alava

Mon- Col Bob

That was a pretty impressive assault you did on the peninsula. thumbsup.gif

October's hike has been selected. I looked for something that didn't make for a really big elevation gain and yet still be a mountain hike to end the season before sticking to the lowlands. Mt Pilchuck has 4 caches on a trail (two of them EraSeek's) which will end at Purgatory at the aproximate 2.5 mile mark (EraSeek has it at 3.1 miles) with a total of 2000 feet elevation gain. Then there will be the return hike back.

Planned date is October 7. Dependant upon weather, this could push a day, or push two weeks.

Edited by TotemLake

Planned date is October 7. Dependant upon weather, this could push a day, or push two weeks.

I like that particular date for some other reason, but in my old age I've forgotten why. I am quite sure, however, that it's going to be the best ever this year!

I would like to go but am planning a ReRide the Iron Horse for that day...

Seriously guys, I will come along on one of these hikes at some point.

cheers,

Poppa J

I like that particular date for some other reason, but in my old age I've forgotten why. I am quite sure, however, that it's going to be the best ever this year!

I would like to go but am planning a ReRide the Iron Horse for that day...

Seriously guys, I will come along on one of these hikes at some point.

cheers,

Poppa J

October's hike has been selected. I looked for something that didn't make for a really big elevation gain and yet still be a mountain hike to end the season before sticking to the lowlands. Mt Pilchuck has 4 caches on a trail (two of them EraSeek's) which will end at Purgatory at the aproximate 2.5 mile mark (EraSeek has it at 3.1 miles) with a total of 2000 feet elevation gain. Then there will be the return hike back.

Excellent, Pilchuck has been on my list for a while! At this point, count me in.

Mystery! Lately some have found my Purgatory and some have not. Those who did not but have before say it is not in the right place. Those who found it say the coords were good, but is is not covered with rocks and on some sort of exposed ledge. It should be on a ledge and covered with rocks. obviously it is there but not in the correct place, but close.

I suppose I will go up early in the week and fix things, unless you all want to do a search party with me during the scheduled hike. Either way is fine with me.

Wow...I wish I could go, but last of the season house maintenance takes priority. Just to let ya'll know, Granite Falls is holding it's Railroad Days Festival this weekend (7th&8th) and they have a parade running through town on the 7th. I don't think they'll have the roads blocked off that early in the morning, but they might. You may have to do some creative routing through the local streets in town. Just a heads-up for you all, since you have to go through town.

Edited by Lizzy

This was awesome! Thanks TL: for the hints, for waiting on us, for the Heinies and for the hike. This was the most amazing hike I've ever been on ...The views were spectacular. It was challenging for my Ohio legs and I loved every minute of it ... even the parts where I was cold and wet. I enjoyed meeting you and getting to chat for a while. SquareBear and BelleTerre: It was good to see you again! EraSeek: Again, it was a pleasure to meet you. I thoroughly enjoyed your cache. Thanks for the passage! Criminal: Thanks for spending your birthday hiking with me. You're the best partner a girl ...The Girl could ask for.

Edited by ...The Girl

Indeed, thanks Totem Lake for getting us together. Sorry I didn't hang tough and hike down with you. I had a kid I was concerned about and needed to get back. Dang, if we'd known it was Criminal's birthday we could have pants'd him and flown his bloomers over the lookout or something! :anibad:

Indeed, thanks Totem Lake for getting us together. Sorry I didn't hang tough and hike down with you. I had a kid I was concerned about and needed to get back. Dang, if we'd known it was Criminal's birthday we could have pants'd him and flown his bloomers over the lookout or something! :D

No worries. It was all good. I commented to SB yesterday how fast you guys went but realize you both had concerns to meet. Belleterre and I had a great time on the way down chatting and taking it easy. It is too bad though y'all missed out on the beer.

...The Girl; it was a pleasure meeting you. I can see you're off to a good start hitting the challenging caches. My legs used to speak wonky too. ;) Now it's just the knees that you hear creaking. :anibad:

Criminal, I literally had just turned on the motor when you called on the radio.

No decision has been made on the next hike but I'll be looking into it soon.