Hike Of The Month 2006

TotemLake

Good idea. I need some good hiking budies. Mt Si would be great and 4/8 looks clear for now.

Oh si... er... oh sigh.

I have organized a hike of Rattlesnake Ridge for that Saturday, and would like to try and hike Mt Si as well. I would like in on this hike of the month thing though. I would move the hike to Si, but I don't think a lot of the people would be able to handle Si as a first.

Any chance for another weekend for Si?

Poppa J

I'm open to any suggestion.

For the record, little Mt Si is a moderate trail and only gets tough in a couple of small places unless the trail has been fixed to accomodate those spots.

Big Mt Si on the other hand is a bit tougher. I'll see if I can dig out my old track later tonight and come up with a profile for little Mt Si.

Didn't somebody have a loop that included Big Si? That's the one I want to do, if the snow isn't too deep.

I thought it was M10B that posted the loop on big Mt Si. Seems to me it was late last year when I saw it although I can't seem to find it on the search.

=-=-edited to add-=-=

As soon as I posted this I found it... MA actually borrowed it from M10B's hike logs:

f8cb1ed0-1424-4dbc-8efe-e246c53e5512.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

I didn't see the "little" part either. That makes more sense though. I'll bet it's too early for the loop anyway. But I could be wrong.

Hrm... nice quandry. Didn't see the little either. If at all possible, there is no reason we couldn't do both. I am thinking that Rattlesnake will take about 4-5 hours as I will be travelling with KidAce and some hikers that are just getting back into the swing of things. We don't have a fixed starting time yet, so depending on how things go, might be able to get both hikes in.

Any ideas on when we would be starting "little si"? Since most of my team at work are late risers, might be able to get away with something like a 11am start for Rattlesnake.

BTW, for Rattlesnake Ridge, is it better to start from the 18 or from the other trailhead just down the i-90 from it?

cheers,

Poppa J

I didn't see the "little" part either. That makes more sense though. I'll bet it's too early for the loop anyway. But I could be wrong.

That route in no longer doable. The Kamikazie trail up to Tennerife is now closed. You could go up the road that "T's" n the middle. Peace, Nolenator

That route in no longer doable. The Kamikazie trail up to Tennerife is now closed. You could go up the road that "T's" n the middle. Peace, Nolenator

Is that a seasonal or permanent closure? My understanding was it was seasonal, but I've been known to be wrong before. :lol:

If there was any chance of doing the April "Hike of the Month" on Sunday the 23rd (the day after the Spring Fling event), I'd love to tag along.

If it meant having you along, we could absolutely move the schedule! You might even get to see the new geopup.

Oh, TL, I hadn't heard. Do you have a new puppy?

I wish that I could join you guys on a hike, but I sure hope it works out for you and you have a good time! :lol:

If there was any chance of doing the April "Hike of the Month" on Sunday the 23rd (the day after the Spring Fling event), I'd love to tag along.

If it meant having you along, we could absolutely move the schedule! You might even get to see the new geopup.

I wish that I could join you guys on a hike, but I sure hope it works out for you and you have a good time! :D

Maybe we could wait back at the trailhead, make some smores and have some cognac laced coffee, or hot buttered rum if you aren't into coffee. :lol:

I wish that I could join you guys on a hike, but I sure hope it works out for you and you have a good time! ;)

Maybe we could wait back at the trailhead, make some smores and have some cognac laced coffee, or hot buttered rum if you aren't into coffee. :lol:

:D Couple gimps. :D

I wish that I could join you guys on a hike, but I sure hope it works out for you and you have a good time! :lol:

I thought you had heard! She's a cutie. This link will take you to a picture where she's just 8 weeks old. I have some updated pictures I still need to post. She's now 5 months old.

Edited by TotemLake

I wish that I could join you guys on a hike, but I sure hope it works out for you and you have a good time! :D

I thought you had heard! She's a cutie. This link will take you to a picture where she's just 8 weeks old. I have some updated pictures I still need to post. She's now 5 months old.

Aaaaawww....;) Congratulations, TL. :lol:

Is that a seasonal or permanent closure? My understanding was it was seasonal, but I've been known to be wrong before. :lol:

Personally, for hikes like this I like to plan them out ahead of time, so would what would be the routes that people would recommend for those caches?

Poppa J

That is awfully nice of you to say. I'd expect that from Seattle area cachers. One of the reasons why I'm hoping to make my third geo-trip to the area is the great people. Another, of course, is the kick-butt mountains. So, let's climb one.

The only wrench in the works is the need to juggle my custody schedule, which requires a rational dialogue with my ex-wife. I've been attempting that for two weeks without success. Hopefully that will be wrapped up later this week and I can definitively confirm that I will be in town for y'all's CITO Event, Spring Fling and Hike of the Month. I will post again when I know for sure.

The only wrench in the works is the need to juggle my custody schedule, which requires a rational dialogue with my ex-wife. I've been attempting that for two weeks without success. Hopefully that will be wrapped up later this week and I can definitively confirm that I will be in town for y'all's CITO Event, Spring Fling and Hike of the Month. I will post again when I know for sure.

I have worked out the above issue. The ex was careful to let the negotiations drag out past the point where I could purchase airline tickets three weeks in advance, just to be sure it would cost me more. :( But I am definitely coming to the area and I will be up for an epic hike on Sunday the 23rd if one can be planned. Yay! :(

I am in!

Same here... I'm in.

So honest question. I am in decent shape and have done some of the other caches around on a day or night hike. West Squak on a day and East Squak on a night. Cougar pretty much on one day. I was pretty okay after that, a bit of tight calf muscles for a day or two afterwards.

If we are doing Big Si, what should I expect in the way of challenge, etc? I.e. how will it compare to the other mountains?

Also, 8 year old KidAce is interested in coming along... she usually hikes with me when she can and isn't grounded (after all, she is a kid... :( ) Would anyone say that Big Si is okay for her?

cheers,

Poppa J

I am in!

Same here... I'm in.

So honest question. I am in decent shape and have done some of the other caches around on a day or night hike. West Squak on a day and East Squak on a night. Cougar pretty much on one day. I was pretty okay after that, a bit of tight calf muscles for a day or two afterwards.

If we are doing Big Si, what should I expect in the way of challenge, etc? I.e. how will it compare to the other mountains?

Also, 8 year old KidAce is interested in coming along... she usually hikes with me when she can and isn't grounded (after all, she is a kid... ;) ) Would anyone say that Big Si is okay for her?

cheers,

Poppa J

It sounds like she could handle it. I've seen lots of kids up there. Just be aware it's 4 miles each way, with 3200 feet elevation gain.

The Mt St. Helens thread made me realize I want to get out more this year than I did last year. There was some mention of hitting places like the Mt Si hikes. How about we start a central location for a hike of the month?

Shall we start with little Mt Si as a good warm up?

I'm headed up Si tomorrow after work (4/4). I'm dropping a bug that has to stay up there until the owner retrieves it but a very cool coin.... to the first that grabs it! Fantastic hike - be sure to bring lots of water with you.

Oh, and Team Jac'd - we won't bring our kids up Si yet (ages 10, 7 and 5). Not until they get bigger. They are great hikers but its a pretty intense hike. They are comfortable with West Tiger but this is a whole other ballgame.

The Mt St. Helens thread made me realize I want to get out more this year than I did last year. There was some mention of hitting places like the Mt Si hikes. How about we start a central location for a hike of the month?

Shall we start with little Mt Si as a good warm up?

I'm headed up Si tomorrow after work (4/4). I'm dropping a bug that has to stay up there until the owner retrieves it but a very cool coin.... to the first that grabs it! Fantastic hike - be sure to bring lots of water with you.

Oh, and Team Jac'd - we won't bring our kids up Si yet (ages 10, 7 and 5). Not until they get bigger. They are great hikers but its a pretty intense hike. They are comfortable with West Tiger but this is a whole other ballgame.

Got a snow report for us?

Looking to make this hike happen on Sunday.

There was a very definite snow line Saturday at 1500'

...and Mt Si goes all the way up to 4,000 feet. Ski resorts' average reports the base at about 90" at that elevation. I don't think the big mountain is going to be a good hike without the proper gear and precautions.

Anybody up for Little Mt Si? It stays just under 1500 at the peak.

Kinda odd, I drove by today on my way back from Leavenworth and I saw a lot less snow then Friday when I went over. It looks rather variable.

Will it make a difference of what trail head we start at if we do little Si? We could always make the decision based on current conditions if the answer is no.

I am fine with an 8:00 start time. I will rely on the locals for weather decisions and choice of caches. If someone could reply with a list of proper clothing and gear that's appropriate for the anticipated temperature and snow conditions, I'd be grateful. I own all the gear (sturdy Gore-Tex boots, for starters) but need to know what to haul onto the plane with me. I fly out on Wednesday but I will have internet access while in the Seattle area, and can check here for any changes in plans.

Once again, thank you to everyone working on putting this together so that a visitor like me can sponge off your good planning efforts. I'd be delighted to return the favor if anyone on this hike ever visits Western Pennsylvania.

The weather so far looks pretty good for Sunday. Partly to mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 50s to mid 60s. Lows in the 30s and 40s. This could provide some good views with clouds floating about. There is a front moving in on Friday that could stall and that can change this forecast in a heartbeat.

Elevation gain is going to be about 4,000 feet and there will be snow on the ground. I'm packing a stove for a hot lunch and coffee if that'll give you an idea of what I expect. I should have plenty of fuel for multiple uses if it comes down to that.

Your boots will probably be a good start. I honestly don't know what to expect, but I'll be seeing my brother today and he lives next door to the mountain so can probably give a fair idea of the conditions short of someone actually reporting from the trail.

There was a very definite snow line Saturday at 1500'

...and Mt Si goes all the way up to 4,000 feet. Ski resorts' average reports the base at about 90" at that elevation. I don't think the big mountain is going to be a good hike without the proper gear and precautions.

Anybody up for Little Mt Si? It stays just under 1500 at the peak.

I am confused... is it going to be a hike up Mt Si or Little Si? The reason I ask is that I was doing the nearby RMT with my team two saturdays ago and hit lots of snow near and between the summits and got a bit of groin damage. I would love to see about doing Little Si, but at least for a couple of weeks, the concept of snow on a mtn hike is enough to keep me away.

cheers,

Poppa J

Current plan is to meet up at the trailhead for Big Mt Si with a decision to go/no go. Backup if a no go is to go to Little Mt Si.

I did just get off the phone with my brother and he said with the recent snow and hail in the area the Big Mt Si is blanketed again but he doesn't know by how much... He did suggest Rattle Snake Ridge as an alternative if the snow looks like too much a barrier.

Personally, I'm up for almost anything. I'm just trying to keep our out of town visitor in mind and not cause him to haul everything on the plane. If we can keep out of the snowline then that's the plan as I see it. If anybody has a different perspective or idea, please do pipe up.

Little Mt Si works as a good backup because the trailhead is closer. If there is a desire to go for a longer hike, then Rattlesnake Ridge makes for the more desirable hike and is still close enough not to be a hassle. In fact, we can probably do a couple shorties and do both the Little Mt Si and some of Rattlesnake Ridge if that is the consensus.

Then based on this, what would y'all like to do the most?

Speaking from experiences of 2 weekends ago (about 8 days), if you do RMT, expect about 5 miles of snow drifts between 4-7ft as soon as you get above 2300ft or so. We did this as a team event, and it was pretty intense. The snow has a crystalized layer on top, and traversing at a decent pace will be hard. We left at 10:30am and got to the other side at 7:30pm, mostly due to the snow. The snow also caused a number of injuries for us, as if we broke through the crystalized snow at the top, you went down to the ground with the snow under it.

You can do part of RMT, from either side, but I would advise caution about the middle part.

If we were to do little Si, how much time is the estimate for the traverse, as I also have church to go to on Sunday.

cheers,

Poppa J