Missing Caches

Any ideas on how to find out who would be taking caches, since lst fall in our area we can not put out a cache anymore. there are more missing and acrhived caches. I am wondering if the local authorities are removing the caches. One of mine had plascic leaves as camo and the amno can and the leaves were gone. If it was kids I would think they would take the container but not the camo.

Joe

Do they take even neighborhood caches. The reason I ask is if you had time you could always place one outside your residence grab a cup of coffee and sit. See if anyone takes it.....

Or for the expensive option buy a tracking device....

Other than those two I don't know how you would actually go about seeing who takes them.

Make the caches in your area Member Only caches. That way you can view a log of anyone that has viewed the cache website. It doesn't help much if the cache maggot is a premium member and uses the cache download feature, however, I doubt the cache maggot would pay money to an organization he is trying to destroy.

Make the caches in your area Member Only caches. That way you can view a log of anyone that has viewed the cache website. It doesn't help much if the cache maggot is a premium member and uses the cache download feature, however, I doubt the cache maggot would pay money to an organization he is trying to destroy.

Our thief has purchased a premium membership and has taken most of the caches in Shawnee national forest again. The members only caches were safe for about a year, but only 4 or 5 people visited them in that year so there is a trade off. Once you have suspects there is still nothing you can do with speculation you just about have to catch them walking away with the cache to have proof. You can contact the suspects and try and start a dialog with them and maybe at least find out why they are steeling them.

Good Luck

or you can make it a more difficult multi- or puzzle cache. I made one of mine using waypoint projection from a known landmark (ewww.) If they try to steal my cache, they better come prepared... :lol:

I've had several phases of multis taken recently - from all over the county. I doubt that neighborhood kids are doing this nasty deed. Probably some immature, disgruntled maggot who couldn't find the cache and didn't have the fortitude to register a DNF.

Maybe someone didn't appreciate a "Should be Archived" note that so many are quick to post.

So, let me get this straight, someone doing what they are supposed to do and posts an SBA on a questionable cache and the owner turns into a maggot? Well, I guess a complete lack of tact could cause that to happen.

Back to the topic at hand, I'd make sure the caches are hidden very well and well away from foot traffic. Hide it very well, but post give-away clues so the area is disturbed very little, maybe even a spoiler picture. The idea is make sure it can't be accidently discovered and finders are leaving the area looking like they were never there. Also, post a note to watch for someone trying to observe them.

Then, if that cache goes missing you pretty much can be guaranteed it's a cacher.

The only real security you have then is to take your caches underground. Use GSAK to create the descriptions and pass that around to those you trust. Then if those caches go missing you only need to figure out who in your group you need to eliminate.

Any ideas on how to find out who would be taking caches, since lst fall in our area we can not put out a cache anymore. there are more missing and acrhived caches. I am wondering if the local authorities are removing the caches. One of mine had plascic leaves as camo and the amno can and the leaves were gone. If it was kids I would think they would take the container but not the camo.

Joe

Are these urban caches or up in the boonies?

I was wondering if you could put a motion detector security camera or just a web-cam pointed at a cache. Maybe place a cache where you also have a good spot for the camera.

If you have the right place, then a cheap web-cam on an old computer would do. You can even create a live web-cam if you have an internet link. It's quite easy to set the web-cam software to capture only when it detects motion and then upload those pics to a personal web site. The cheap web-cam I bought for my laptop will do that.

Of course all this depends on whether you have a good place to do it. But woudn't it be cool to have everyone on the entire internet watching your cache for security?