Cache Size

Klatch

I would like to request the "Cache Size" field be made mandatory when submitting one of the physical cache types: traditional, multi, puzzle or letterbox hybrid. I use pocket queries to sort out caches I don't wish to hunt and unless I check "unknown" on the PQ I will miss a few caches I wish to hunt. On the other hand, when I do check "unknown" I get mostly caches that I do not want to find.

I would like to request the "Cache Size" field be made mandatory when submitting one of the physical cache types: traditional, multi, puzzle or letterbox hybrid. I use pocket queries to sort out caches I don't wish to hunt and unless I check "unknown" on the PQ I will miss a few caches I wish to hunt. On the other hand, when I do check "unknown" I get mostly caches that I do not want to find.

People usually leave it as unknown for a reason - so it is mandatory, but unknown is an option. Any evil, fake or novel cache will often use unknown. In our area, every unknown cache is that way for a reason.

So, I guess we should work instead to figure out how to solve your core problem - how to make lists of caches you wish to hunt:

Of the caches which people leave as unknown size, but which you've seen and would like to hunt, is there a clear reason they are leaving it as unknown size? If not, then there's not much you can do about that except to send them messages. If there is, then there must be something else in common about those caches which make them attractive to you.

What about the majority of the unknown size caches which you say you don't want to hunt? What makes them no fun to hunt?

Edited by caderoux

I use pocket queries to sort out caches I don't wish to hunt [...]

[...] when I do check "unknown" I get mostly caches that I do not want to find.

I don't see your problem. It's helping you filter out caches you don't want to do. Removing the "unknown" options would actually make it less helpful for you. ;)

I use pocket queries to sort out caches I don't wish to hunt [...]

[...] when I do check "unknown" I get mostly caches that I do not want to find.

I don't see your problem. It's helping you filter out caches you don't want to do. Removing the "unknown" options would actually make it less helpful for you. ;)

Some caches that are "unknown" are caches I wish to hunt, but most are not. I must exclude the ones I wish to hunt to filter out the ones I don't want to hunt. Please understand, this is not that big of a deal for me, but I don't see why it would be so onerous to require the owner to state the cache size. I think it is usually an oversight by the owner. Some may leave it as unknown intentionally, but in my area, at least, I have not seen where it is part of the challenge. The container normally described in the text of the cache page.

Reading the above and having seen some of these unknown mystey containers i would suggest a possible solution.

Make it compulsory field but add an option to tick a size box titled

"dont want to state"

I would guess we are also getting close to needing a

"nano"

cache size to help people know to bring a pencil or pen ;)

Even if this field was made mandatory, you would still need to include 'unknown' in order to optain caches that were created before the change was made, unless you are willing to just skip these caches. Of course, if you were willing to skip these caches, you wouldn't be wanting this change.