New Canadian Geocoin On The Horizon

JWID

For those of you that are into collecting/trading/tracking Canadian geocoins, there is a new one coming out on Thursday. Fully trackable on geocaching.com with a unique icon. Only 500 coins will be minted.

Here are the details:

Southern Ontario Cachers Coin at The Caching Place

Southern Ontario Cachers GC

Trackable with Icon

1.5" Antique Silver

500 coins available

Price $7.50

Preorder starts Thursday, March 30

Eastern European time 2:00 am (March 31)

Central European time 1:00 am (March 31)

Greenwich Mean time 12:00 am (March 31)

USA Eastern Standard time 7:00 pm

USA Central Standard time 6:00 pm

USA Mountain Standard time 5:00 pm

USA Pacific Standard time 4:00 pm

Thanks.

JWID

From the web page:

---

"USA Eastern Standard time 7:00 pm

USA Pacific Standard time 4:00 pm"

"The coin is shipped from our Salt Lake City, Utah location. "

---

There really ought to be some rules about stuff like this. I'm aware of the Central Ontario Geocachers, I'm aware of the Ontario Geocaching Association, and the Golden Horseshoe Geocachers.

This is the first I've heard of a group called the "Southern Ontario Geocachers", and they appear to be based in Utah - which is an odd location for such a group. Google hasn't heard of them either from the searches I did. Neither has Wikipedia.

The last Ontario geocoin minted in the USA at least had someone from Ontario participating.

So far, I'm NOT impressed. Maybe I should mint a coin for France, after all - I've never been there, or cached there, nor do I know anyone there -- but this doesn't seem to matter at all to Groundspeak.

Edited by northernpenguin

Yes, The Caching Place is in Utah, it is the distributor and the place with the contacts overseas. We are firmly planted in Southern Ontario as a small group of like minded cachers that enjoy Geocoins as much as Geocaches.

Thanks.

JWID

Welland, Ontario

Yes, The Caching Place is in Utah, it is the distributor and the place with the contacts overseas. We are firmly planted in Southern Ontario as a small group of like minded cachers that enjoy Geocoins as much as Geocaches.

Thanks.

JWID

Welland, Ontario

That's a relief! Still, too bad the coins can't be minted in Ontario - but I suppose that's the way it is with so many things these days (think GC.com Jeep contests...).

I was just down in your neck of the woods yesterday. Magellan really blew it on the maps on the Niagara side of the Welland River though - my eXplorist was zero use getting me to Canel Lock Box, as it kept directing me to use roads that didn't exist. Never did find the route into that one.

I'm curious to know about the "Southern Ontario Geocachers" - can you tell me more about who you are? It's not every day you learn there's another caching group not too far from home.

- northernpenguin

Well NorthernPenguin, I'm not sure how involved you are with Ham Radio, but the Southern Ontario Caches group is loosely based on a couple fo the QRP groups that I am a member of. These groups are basically a small group of people with similar interests. The formulation of the group focusses on having fun and doing what we enjoy doing.

There are no rules, no executive, no meetings, no money ... you know none of the crap that you can sometimes see grow in other organizations. That tends to get in the way of what the group often is trying to do. It can stand in the way of actually enjoying your hobbies.

In this case we all enjoy the outdoors, hiking, geocaching and geocoins.

This coin design started out as a Canadian coin, something that could allow other coin collectors the change to add a Truly Canadian design to their coin icons. With the coming design for the coin commemorating the 1st geocache in Canada, and persistant rumours of a new official Canadian geocoin coming from the west, we decided that our idea of "Keepers of the Caches" was still interesting enough to go with, and decided to focus on the Southern Ontario aspect. It is generic enough to allow for future coins in a series if the coins are well received, and is still strong enough to stand on it's own merit as a single coin.

We personally have no concerns or problems with the coins released for Ontario to date. The one created from the guys in GA is excellent! Res2100's coin is also very nice! Of course our own JWID coin is still one of my favourites and one of the first coins to be minted as a personal signature coin in Ontario. I am also looking forward to the new Bouncy Bunny coins as well as the 2006 Toronto coins. Like I had said, we like geocaching and geocoins. :)

Hope that helps to introduce us and let you see where the coin idea is coming from.

I noticed that I never posted a pic of the new Beaver coin in this thread, so here it is so that it can be easily seen.

ontario.jpg

See Ya on the Trails!

JWID

Edited by JWID

Well NorthernPenguin, I'm not sure how involved you are with Ham Radio, but the Southern Ontario Caches group is loosely based on a couple fo the QRP groups that I am a member of. These groups are basically a small group of people with similar interests. The formulation of the group focusses on having fun and doing what we enjoy doing.

There are no rules, no executive, no meetings, no money ... you know none of the crap that you can sometimes see grow in other organizations. That tends to get in the way of what the group often is trying to do. It can stand in the way of actually enjoying your hobbies.

I'm a relative newbie on the Ham Radio scene, but I'm involved with a couple clubs around here. Glad to see you guys are having fun, and I'll have to look you up on the Fonthill repeater sometime. I do like the design of your geocoin there, it does reflect Ontario rather well. My original concerns were that the coin didn't appear to have a Canadian connection and now I see it does, so I'm happy.

Can you PM me with information about the group, I may want to try and visit one of your meetings - be it physically or over the radio.

'73

- northernpenguin

Swifteroo:

The "Southern Ontario Geocachers" poker chip was created at a time before OGA, when we initially were going to call ourselves SOGA.

I can tell you who made the chip... but since they read the forums and even post, maybe they will tell you.

I would say, but maybe they don't want it known...

:lol: The Blue Quasar

I can tell you who made the chip... but since they read the forums and even post, maybe they will tell you.
What is a poker chip anyways, in relation to a GeoCoin?

Is it a less expensive version, because it's made of plastic, or such materials?

With my nickname, it's obvious I am interested in this possibility. ;-)

The 'poker chip' was just something that the person made as a signature item... like Buttons and Beaux have their 'button' they put in every cache to name an example.

While the one I saw was a nice chip compared to the thin plastic ones, I don't think it was a clay one.

I think Amazon Annie still has one, as does Logger and Trail. I've only seen theirs, as they found them and kept them.

I wish I had one!

But otherwise, they aren't trackable or anything... it was just something that someone made (actually without telling SOGA/OGA about it either LOL)

:unsure: The Blue Quasar

I agree danoshimano. The 3D imaging gives the token an actual coin feel to it. The glossy, expoxy coated full colour tokens are nice, but lack that coin feel.

That's why I designed our personal coin with the 3D image of the Welland Canal lift bridge on the obverse, and this one kept the same 3D image feel for the beaver side. The logo on our personal coin is 2D but has the colouring to a minimum. The opposite side for the Keepers of Ontario's Caches coin has the Ontario Coat of Arms, so it is still a strong image, but in 2D colour as well.

Thanks.

JWID

Today is the day!!!!! :unsure:

For those of you that are into collecting/trading/tracking Canadian geocoins, there is a new one coming out on Thursday. Fully trackable on geocaching.com with a unique icon. Only 500 coins will be minted.

Here are the details:

Southern Ontario Cachers Coin at The Caching Place

Trackable with Icon

1.5" Antique Silver

500 coins available

Price $7.50

Thanks.

JWID

You should include time for the Maritimes.

How long are they on sale for?

You should include time for the Maritimes.

How long are they on sale for?

There are only 500 coins being minted, and once they are gone they are gone.

Last count I heard was when the 1/2 way point was crossed early this morning.

JWID

I was able to get one no problem on Tuesday 4 April. Looks good, can't wait until it arrives.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Strange!! ;)

These wonderful coins are now shipping!!! :P

There was a computer glitch and there are actually 100 coins still available. Sales cut off at 400 coins for some reason. :P

Keepers of Ontario's Caches Coin at The Caching Place

Trackable with Icon

1.5" Antique Silver

500 coins minted, 100 still available due to counting error

Price $7.50

Thanks.

JWID

WOW! The coins are shipping ... and shipping fast! I got mine today. The light in the room gave the photos a bit of a bronzy look ... but the coins are antique silver.

beaver1.jpg

There are still 62 coins remaining at the link in the original post. Get them quickly, because they look great!

Thanks.

JWID

Edited by JWID

and I now get to announce once again ...

SOLD OUT

Thanks to everybody for your support it has been a fun ride.

I released a Limited Edition Copper version of the coin this weekend, and I look forward to seeing more traveling from cache to cache in the near future.

Thanks!

JWID

I would have to say, my two are some of the nicest geocaoins I have seen. The Ontario coat of arms really stands out.

Hey, what's going on here, I'm an American (minted and shipped from within the USA), and I don't even have mine yet! How'd they get to Canada faster? :) Just kidding here, and I'm sure there's no problem, but Jeesh, you'd think I'd have received mine first. Glad to hear they're arriving though, and apparently to rave reviews.

I haven't heard of any difficulties, but if you contact TheCachingPlace directly, they are really good people to work with and I'm sure they'll have an answer for you.

JWID

Has anyone had any problems receiving their coins? Mine (I ordered 2) were supposedly shipped April 24th but never arrived.