Japan Geocoin

Square Bear

Approved the final art work and they should be up for sale in about a month or so at [link removed by moderator - when you have a link that leads directly to the coin, insert it here] will post the sale date when I get notified of when that will be. The icon I requested is the rising sun symbol but haven't heard back about it yet.

side1_final.jpg

side2_final.jpg

Edited by Eartha

I prefer to stay silent to avoid controversy, but will state a few things that WILL be interpreted as controversial.

I had a private discussion on using the rising sun symbol with Bailey Nippon. It is interpreted as a symbol of war to the Japanese, since it was used by the Japanese Navy during World War II. I'm sure that's NOT the intent here, but I wanted to bring this to awareness, so future designs can take this into account.

There is a group of Japanese cachers working on a "Japan Geocoin." I'm just stating this to let people know. However, since its release is uncertain, I do not believe this to be "competition."

I do like the koi design on the GC.com logo side very much.

I prefer to stay silent to avoid controversy, but will state a few things that WILL be interpreted as controversial.

I had a private discussion on using the rising sun symbol with Bailey Nippon. It is interpreted as a symbol of war to the Japanese, since it was used by the Japanese Navy during World War II. I'm sure that's NOT the intent here, but I wanted to bring this to awareness, so future designs can take this into account.

There is a group of Japanese cachers working on a "Japan Geocoin." I'm just stating this to let people know. However, since its release is uncertain, I do not believe this to be "competition."

The symbol is still used by the Japanese Navy and used by the US military here in Japan. If you would of looked at my profile then you would of also seen that I am a Geocacher currently living in Japan.

The symbol is still used by the Japanese Navy and used by the US military here in Japan. If you would of looked at my profile then you would of also seen that I am a Geocacher currently living in Japan.

Yes, I actually DO look at profiles and the caches found before making a reply, and have looked at yours already. Although I have not found caches near Misawa, I've found quite a few both north and south from where you are. :lol:

I have also lived in Japan before, speak the language, and have contacts with the Geocaching community in the Kanto and Kansai areas. I'm just echoing a concern brought up by Japanese cachers, to make sure there are no misrepresentations on the designs.

Edited by budd-rdc

Budd,

Thanks for the history - I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I had no idea what the rising sun represented.

It's also good to know that there are a group of Japanese cachers workiing on a Japan coin.

For me, I always prefer to get coins from groups, etc. where there is more than one person involved representing the area on the coin.

I'm not saying about the OP's intent of the coin/design either. Just good to know everything.

Approved the final art work and they should be up for sale in about a month or so at [link removed by moderator - when you have a link that leads directly to the coin, insert it here] will post the sale date when I get notified of when that will be. The icon I requested is the rising sun symbol but haven't heard back about it yet.

side1_final.jpg

side2_final.jpg

I like all three of them I already placed an order for Bailey’s Nippon 2006 Geocoin. Will SAFFIER & STEKELSTEEF Personal Geocoin and the Japan coin go on presale? Put me on the list for 2 each. Can't wait