Google Maps Offline >> Pda

markp99

I've got Google maps to display 250 nearby caches with my home as the center of the map. I was able to use different color markers for found vs unfound caches. As with any Google Maps implementation, I can zoom, pan themap and click on the markers to provide cache details. I created a local, API_KEY-less Google Map (html file) from an Access database, populated with imported .GPX data. It works very nicely.

This is quite handy when preparing at home, but I would just LOVE to somehow take this info offline and port to my iPaq device. This would be an awesome addition to my HTML paperless (GSAK export) cache solution.

What I have in mind is to select a fixed zoom level and fixed range of map coverage to produce an offline html "image". I would like to get this file loaded onto my iPaq to allow me to only PAN the map image (no zoom). Next step is to get cache data linked to the markers and html clickable.

Is this possible / anything like this ever been done??

Thanks for any guidance.

Edited by markp99

Everything is good but I need a way to view roughly where the caches are. I cannot just follow cachemate compass :huh:

You might want to look at either BeelineGPS or BackCountry Navigator. BCN lets you download topo and Aerial maps from terraserver-usa.

Beeline has a map feature that shows your path and the relative position from the cache with a GPS arrow. Very similar to BCN, just no map overlay. I'm trying to decide if the maps available are good enough, or if they are really needed.

I'm not sure of what the commerical mapping software is for PPC devices or the associated costs, probably more than what I think it is worth right now as I'm just getting started.

I would highly suggest you go with EarthComber, it is free and you can load any goecaches that you want. Getting the caches in might be a little tricky, but just read carefully and you will get it. Go HERE to read how to upload .GPX files to the program after you have it. The great thing about this program is that you don't need a GPS for it, internally or externally. Hope you enjoy, and good luck!

Hi

I am searching for an answer to this too. Can anybody help?

I have iPaq Windows Mobile 2003 with CacheMate and bluetooth GPS.

On my PC I have GSAK.

Everything is good but I need a way to view roughly where the caches are. I cannot just follow cachemate compass :huh:

Google Static Maps may be what you are looking for, however that only works with the road map, not the satellite images so may be of limited use in the forest or other non-urban area.

/René