The Dark Side Of Geocaching: Banned For No Reason!

Snoogans

I don't geocache as frequently as I used to, but geocaching is always on my mind.

I joined this forum and quite a few geocaching forums around the country because I like to read about geocaching and participate in geocaching discussions and to just BS with other cachers. Heck, I never miss an event if I don't have to.

So anyhoo, a new local geocaching forum popped up here in Houston (East Side Cachers- The Others: http://eastsidecachers.proboards77.com/index.cgi ) and I joined. Not much was happening and I visited it just a few times to see what was going on there. My first impression was "The Others? Isn't that a movie about dead people? Why would someone go out of their way to set themselves apart from the rest of the local geocaching community?" I thought this, but never said it until now.

It had been several weeks since I visited East Side Cachers since nothing much was going on there and I decided to take a look at the recent posts today and I get the message that my account had been BANNED. :)

I NEVER posted one thing on that site, so I'm at a loss as to why Wild Cat Bud &/or Captain J felt that I deserved to be banned from their site. In my attempt to see what was the matter, I discovered that I am not the only cacher to receive such treatment on the East Side Cachers site. :unsure:

Since WCB and Capt.J didn't have the courtesy to tell me why I was banned from their site, I see no reason to be quiet about it, nor do I wish to contact them, since I DID NOTHING AT ALL WRONG! :laughing:

If you run a community forum and you treat your members poorly because of some petty reason that has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the forum you own/run, it will blow up in your face as it's blowing up now. My conduct on East Side Cachers could not have gotten me banned there since I NEVER posted one thing in that forum. It HAS to be something personal that I'm unaware of, or a mistake. Since at least one of my other geo-buds has been banned at East Side Cachers as well, I can ONLY assume that I'm guilty by association, or vice versa. A deliberate act and not a slip-up. :)

I invite the proprietors of East Side Cachers - The Others to explain their actions HERE. I have nothing to hide.

So, I guess my reason for posting this thread is to find out how YOU would feel in the same situation....?

I think you're better off not being a part of their group.

I didn't post this because I need to belong. There are so few active people on that site that they should just pick up a phone and save the typing.... :laughing:

It's just the principle of being banned for NO stinkin' reason that I'm posting this. People should know what they are getting into if they go there.

I was a member there for several months before getting banned. I didn't contribute because I had nothing to say there....yet. I'm really interested in discovering their reasoning. :unsure:

I didn't post this because I need to belong. There are so few active people on that site that they should just pick up a phone and save the typing.... :laughing:

It's just the principle of being banned for NO stinkin' reason that I'm posting this. People should know what they are getting into if they go there.

I was a member there for several months before getting banned. I didn't contribute because I had nothing to say there....yet. I'm really interested in discovering their reasoning. :unsure:

No, I'm serious. I think you're better off not being a part of their group. In any way, shape or form.

Edit: flipped periods and commas

Edited by BlueDeuce

I didn't post this because I need to belong. There are so few active people on that site that they should just pick up a phone and save the typing.... :unsure:

I was a member there for several months before getting banned. I didn't contribute because I had nothing to say there....yet. I'm really interested in discovering their reasoning. :)

No, I'm serious. I think you're better off not being a part of their group. In any way, shape or form.

Edit: flipped periods and commas

Snoog, I'll join and ask. What the heck right? Stay tuned. :laughing:

I've joined. Learned the secret handshake. I've also started a thread asking what it takes to get banned so I don't make the same mistake. ... Now the guy(s)/gal is reading this and getting ticked off. ... I'm not picking sides but Snoogs deserves to know why. :laughing:

Edit: guy/gal, I don't want to seem sexist.

Edited by Yamahammer

It could also be that any inactive account is deleted automaticly. The Cachers Sandbox deletes any unverified account after a short time.

My IP address was just banned while viewing the site as a guest. I used another IP and got right back in. There is something personal going on that I just don't get. :(

It could also be that any inactive account is deleted automaticly. The Cachers Sandbox deletes any unverified account after a short time.

My IP address was just banned while viewing the site as a guest. I used another IP and got right back in. There is something personal going on that I just don't get. :(

That's another ball of wax. As a guest I couldn't see your account to see if you had one that said banned like it would on GC.com or if your account was just gone. If they blocked your IP address that's another thing.

Sometimes blocking an IP addres of someone deserving can impact someone who doesn't. However I don't have experience in that arena.